Food, Drink & Dining Out Discontinued Food Items You Miss

Remove this Banner Ad

still for sale in other countries
I wish I could order some things from the UK (many things not seen downunder since the 80s are still available) but generally they are heavy items so prohibitive to order with mail costs.

It's been mentioned, but I'm still finding myself looking hopefully in the biscuit aisle for these badboys and feeling a little pang of disappointment every time:

g8vzdshpi6921.jpg

It's been mentioned, but I'm still finding myself looking hopefully in the biscuit aisle for these badboys and feeling a little pang of disappointment every time:

g8vzdshpi6921.jpg

These were such an underdog!

Haas anyone noticed less and less homebranded items on shelves. Repeatedly find myself looking for the Woolworths, Coles or IGA branded items for cheaper, yet starting too notice it's all just name brands. Even IGA barely stocks their own brands or black and gold. My thinking was often times the homebranded items are manufactured at the same place as the big brands so to make more money the big brands are refusing to manufacture Coles brand hand soap etc.

Haas anyone noticed less and less homebranded items on shelves. Repeatedly find myself looking for the Woolworths, Coles or IGA branded items for cheaper, yet starting too notice it's all just name brands. Even IGA barely stocks their own brands or black and gold. My thinking was often times the homebranded items are manufactured at the same place as the big brands so to make more money the big brands are refusing to manufacture Coles brand hand soap etc.

You are correct.

and I think now there appears to be less home brand items because some are now branded under a different name other than home brand but it still is essentially home brand.

I think different companies did Yogo in other states? but in WA all the double decker and dirt dessert Yogo made by Brownes was damn delicious in the (mid-late?)90's and into the 2000's.

There are still online petitions going around to bring them back.

That fluffy marshmallow was sooo good and the dirt dessert was pretty much heaven in a lunch box. 😄
images - 2024-06-19T001856.130.jpeg
images - 2024-06-19T002146.142.jpeg

Last edited:
I think different companies did Yogo in other states? but in WA all the double decker and dirt dessert Yogo made by Brownes was damn delicious in the (mid-late?)90's and into the 2000's.

There are still online petitions going around to bring then back.

That fluffy marshmallow was sooo good and the dirt dessert was pretty much heaven in a lunch box. 😄
This dates back to when the Connoisseur Ice cream was a premium product, not a standard product promoted as a premium product as it is now. And Australia used to make Lady Borden for the Japan market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the one I still lament. Peter’s Barney Banana with real banana pieces. When they phased it out in the early 80’s Peters declared they were improving the product. They came out with a confectioned ice product like Paddle Pop. IIRC it was a disaster and disappeared quickly.

1719562249019.jpeg

Last edited:
Another product I miss is 'Mrs Quick (or was it Quik?) sausage rolls'.

Produced in a regional Qld town, they were kinda raw (but frozen in other states) and you cooked them up like you had prepared/baked them yourself. So many people used to say 'did you make these yourself?' lol - sometimes I may have said 'yes'.

Never very expensive, always tasty with great puff-pastry - and always went down a treat at a Grand Final or Hottest 100 get-together.

Sadly I think that company went bankrupt (how?) about 10 years back.

they were like better salada's weren't they?

When I worked in Pizza Hut as a kid (when it was a restaurant before Dominos took over) we sometimes had thin & crispy pizza dough in pizza trays the morning after it was not sold.

In the morning you would put them (no sauce or toppings obvs) into the ovens you were firing up for the next day (to burn them off before washing up their oven trays) and it would taste exactly like salada or sao biscuits).

As an Adelaide kid 'Footy Colours' were often my ice-block of choice at school lunch-times.

Though i barracked for Sturt (double-blue ice topped with creamy white choc I think) I would often sample the flavours for another team. They were all done in the colours of that team (eg Centrals - Red/White/Blue. Port - Black/White)

This Crows/SA state of origin one musta come a lot later.

footycolours.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back