Rumour Disruptions higher up

Remove this Banner Ad

madfootyfan

Draftee
Oct 19, 2003
AFL Club
Geelong
Apart from injuries i think our problem might be at a higher level, with Ken Hinkley vying for coaching positions elsewhere and i have it on good advise that Neil Balme will sever ties with the cats at the end of the season to take up a position with the tigers stating that the travel to Geelong everyday is taking a toll on him. This deal has been signed sealed and delivered with Frank Costa and Brian Cook reluctantly agreeing that if the travel is also contributing to his health issues than the tigers job is the best outcome for him but he will be sorely missed at Geelong where his been a terrific servant.
With disruptions like this its only natural that the coaching staffs focus is out of whack slightly which reflects to our on field performance. We all know what happens when things aren't going well behind the scenes, just cast your minds back to 2006.
Hopefully now that the finals are fast approaching the coaching staff might put the off field disruptions behind them and focus on the job at hand cause we have a champion team (minus a few injuries) to still give this years flag a good tilt.

Good post.I have heard the same story about Balme. This certainly exposes the senior coaching capacity at Geelong. The senior Coach may well be found wanting.

I don't think career of Neil Balme should have any reflection on the playing group. I don't know anything about Neil Balme's contract, but I thought someone on this board said he has renewed his contract. I think a lot of rumours are wishful thinking, in this case from Richmond.

Irrelevant. Late in the '07 season there was conjecture about Bomber's contract situation and possible move to Essendon in '08. That surely would've been more likely to have an impact on the playing group than the possible moves suggested by the OP.

Balme's loss would be big, but that would be having zero impact on us at the moment, Balme isn't involved in day to day business. I think it was around this time last year where he had to take a few weeks off for ill health (knee reco?) and the impact on the playing grouop was nill.

Even if Balme does leave at the end of the year, I have no doubt he would be fulfilling his duties in exactly the same manner as if he wasn't leaving

Just what does Balme do? I know he lightened the load on BT , so if he left who would be the man to grab to replace him.
If we look at Balme one would say he has to be an ex-player, ex-coach looking for the next stage of his career. Laidley?Wallace?Pagan?

I don't think an ex-coach is necessarily the criteria. Balme wasn't a good coach because he didn't have the right personality for it. More suited to the role he has. What he has shown is the type of person you need. Efficient at the job, but importantly, great people skills.

Balme's loss would be big, but that would be having zero impact on us at the moment, Balme isn't involved in day to day business. I think it was around this time last year where he had to take a few weeks off for ill health (knee reco?) and the impact on the playing grouop was nill.

Even if Balme does leave at the end of the year, I have no doubt he would be fulfilling his duties in exactly the same manner as if he wasn't leaving

Exactly. And I'm unsure what effect that has on professional footballers. The vast majority of the side have played enough footy now to know what their role in the team is, and what they have to do each week. Who the football manager should be the last thing on their minds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Disruptions higher up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back