Dissapointing

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sad to see Everitt go, as it's a case of what might have been, in terms of his potential. What really hurts is that we could have chosen either Frawley or Riewoldt instead.

Starting to become a disturbing trend where our 1st round picks outisde of pick 5 doesn't pan out. Your 1st rd picks should be your 10 year/200 game players. Add Everitt to Power, McMahon, Ray, Walsh as wasted 1st round picks.

I'm sad to see Everitt go, as it's a case of what might have been, in terms of his potential. What really hurts is that we could have chosen either Frawley or Riewoldt instead.

Starting to become a disturbing trend where our 1st round picks outisde of pick 5 doesn't pan out. Your 1st rd picks should be your 10 year/200 game players. Add Everitt to Power, McMahon, Ray, Walsh as wasted 1st round picks.

True, but Vez was a first-round pick as well.

OK, St. Kilda probably would have been a better comparison. They have ended up with players whose flaws were big enough for their former clubs to trade them, e.g. Ray.

My point was that relying on recycled players to get the job done is fraught with danger.

On the flip side Collingwood are premiers this year and probably wouldn't be had they not got Jolly and Ball last year.

Ahhh. I just wrote practically the same thing on another thread.

It makes to hard to win premierships without champions, A graders and game breakers. And the best way to do that is through your first round draft picks.

In a way it is unimportant what we think as fans but every organisation should always strive to improve and be the best they can. And part of that process is evaluating what they do well and what they don't. I really hope that internally, the club is reviewing its recruiting processes and player development processes. It is sometimes hard to compete against the big budget clubs like Collingwood with all areas of football department, but that should be our aim.

Everitt was a mystery to me. Have no idea what position he plays? He's tall but not a key position player. He can't play midfield, he's not a close checking defender and he doesn't kick goals.
Where does he play? After 4 years I've no idea!

Everitt was a mystery to me. Have no idea what position he plays? He's tall but not a key position player. He can't play midfield, he's not a close checking defender and he doesn't kick goals.
Where does he play? After 4 years I've no idea!

If it makes you feel any better Everitt himself doesn't seem to have any idea what position he plays either.

Very disappointing.
I really rate Everitt. Really don't think Rocket gave him much of an opportunity. It is what every young player needs.

I really rated Everitt in his first year, but he never went on with it. He had opportunities but didn't deliver. Look at Wood and Grant and Picken - into the team and haven't looked back. You have to put your own stamp on the team, not wait for the "right" position or whatever. I was really hoping he'd turn out to be a Goddard type.

I really hope to be proven wrong, really really, but I rate Everitt very, very highly. If he goes on to realise his potential at Sydney, win AA honours, b&fs, etc how will we all feel?

I think Eade's standing at the Western Bulldogs may well be tied to the fortunes of one A.Everitt. Of course, should we win a flag next year, whatever Everitt does will be academic but short of that I fear Eade and the MC will cop more than a little criticism.

22 year old with minimal opportunities, 6 ft 3 in, fast for his size, excellent disposal and decision making, kicks over 55-50 what's not to like? Has some deficiencies, can forget his man in traffic and can look a little lost with high defensive balls, but nothing incurable for his age. Did Goddard have the same deficiencies at 22 years of age? I think Quinlin had the same problems before he went on to become a legend at Fitzroy.

On every level this is a stupid trade and I suspect indicative of dysfunctional cliques amongst the playing group and emotionally ******ed coaching.

I really hope to be proven wrong and hope someone can throw this post in my face a year or two from now.

On every level this is a stupid trade and I suspect indicative of dysfunctional cliques amongst the playing group and emotionally ******ed coaching.

This comment is probably the most stupid thing I have seen on this board from a poster who isn't a troll or an uneducated buffoon.

Cliques - Did these same cliques keep Grant or Wood out of the team this year and stop them from becoming members of our best 22? Did they stop Jones & Roughead playing more games than we thought they would at the beginning of the season?

The answer is NO. Do you want to know why? Well I don't give a toss if you don't because I'm going to tell you anyway. These 4 players mentioned all worked hard this year, they worked on their deficiencies and played the way the coaches wanted them to... Because they did they were rewarded with games and game time.

Players like Everitt and Hill probably have more natural talent than any of these players, but did not follow the coaches instructions and did not play with the intensity required to compete at the elite level. They have no one to blame except themselves.

The emotionally ******ed comment shows you really have absolutely no idea about the inner workings of our club and shows a complete lack of common sense. I really can't understand why you would say such a thing and if you could perhaps expand on this comment and give some sort of validation to why you think this way I and perhaps other posters would appreciate it.

This comment is probably the most stupid thing I have seen on this board from a poster who isn't a troll or an uneducated buffoon.

Cliques - Did these same cliques keep Grant or Wood out of the team this year and stop them from becoming members of our best 22? Did they stop Jones & Roughead playing more games than we thought they would at the beginning of the season?

The answer is NO. Do you want to know why? Well I don't give a toss if you don't because I'm going to tell you anyway. These 4 players mentioned all worked hard this year, they worked on their deficiencies and played the way the coaches wanted them to... Because they did they were rewarded with games and game time.

Players like Everitt and Hill probably have more natural talent than any of these players, but did not follow the coaches instructions and did not play with the intensity required to compete at the elite level. They have no one to blame except themselves.

The emotionally ******ed comment shows you really have absolutely no idea about the inner workings of our club and shows a complete lack of common sense. I really can't understand why you would say such a thing and if you could perhaps expand on this comment and give some sort of validation to why you think this way I and perhaps other posters would appreciate it.

PigDog, you make way too much sense posting on here, get back on woof this instance! :D:thumbsu:

This is exactly the reason they have not cemented a place in the Dogs 22.

Brilliant post. Everitt had plenty of chances and he didn't take them.

Of course he has talent, but there are plenty of talented footballers who haven't made it because of their attitude or work rate.

Everitt didn't capitalise on his opportunities she we've moved him on. Win-win I say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Everitt is so lazy and doesn't follow instructions, why did the club use their first round draft pick on him and bypass Riewoldt?

All players character and personality are known well in advance by recruiting staff before they are recruited. They are checked out thoroughly and detailed opinions sought from all people associated with them through the years. They are given pysche tests at the draft academy.

It is no excuse for a club to lose a first round draft pick player and say that they are lazy and it is all the players fault. Either they didn't do a proper due diligence on him beforehand, or they knew his personality but thought that they had the systems and processes to turn him around, and have failed to do so. Either way it is not a great result for us and IMO losing first round draft picks this way diminishes our chances for a premiership.

Losing one first rounder and gaining another in Veszpremi. Why are people so upset with this?

Get on with life and stop moaning.

Okay, no problem. I will leave it to you and everyone else that thinks exactly the same to discuss trade week :)

Don't get me wrong, I can see your point. Everitt was obviously determined to walk and we hardly stood in his way.

All I'm saying is that the club was obviously comfortable to move him on and I trust them to make the right call.

Did Goddard have the same deficiencies at 22 years of age? I think Quinlin had the same problems before he went on to become a legend at Fitzroy.

Agree with PigDog - a stupid post.

Goddard has only played less than 18 games in a season once, that was in 2007 (he was 22) when he did his ACL. Since that year he has played 23, 24, 25 games respectively.

Quinlan is from a different era but the year he turned 22 (1973) he played 20 games for the Bulldogs, scored 20 goals and received 5 Brownlow votes. He was the club's second highest goal scorer that season behind Sandilands.

As you can see, Everitt is a long way behind either of these two at the same age, so it isn't a great comparison.

When everitt was drafted he had endless potential. It was hoped that he would be able to show the intensity and application required at senior AFL level to cement a spot.

Coaches are put in place to win premierships, not play favorites. We had been ass r*ped by injuries this year and Everitt still couldn't/didn't show enough desire or application to warrant a selection in the side. We were playing old injured players because at least we knew that they would turn up and go as hard as they could albeit on one leg. Make no mistake he wasn't selected because he wasn't liked, in fact quite the opposite, he was looked straight in the eye and told this is your time, how bad do you want it, pprove it to us.....

Everitt has had the heat put on him in 100 different ways to show up and prove that he is hungry for selection, Coaches don't put the heat on someone if they don't like them or think they are no good.

Our coaches see the same potential in Everitt that we do, unfortunately Dre has no one to blame but himself for his laconic nature and ambivilance towards the required effort needed to play senior football. He hit's the packs half hearted and has been reported to actually fall asleep standing up with his eyes open during games. These atributes are not good enough and too risky, unfortunately Clayton got this one very wrong, otherwise he would of been all over him to move to the gold coast.

Everitt has the intesity of a mouse, he doesn't have the nouse or the running power to play outside, he turns the ball over repeatedly and has zero confidence in himself. Confidence comes from hard work, it doesn't come from people saying you have potential, you'll be right one day.

Id say dont let the door hit your ass on the way out Andre, but I'd doubt he'd even notice.....

When Everitt was drafted he had endless potential. It was hoped that he would be able to show the intensity and application required at senior AFL level to cement a spot.

Coaches are put in place to win premierships, not play favorites. We had been ass r*ped by injuries this year and Everitt still couldn't/didn't show enough desire or application to warrant a selection in the side. We were playing old injured players because at least we knew that they would turn up and go as hard as they could albeit on one leg. Make no mistake he wasn't selected because he wasn't liked, in fact quite the opposite, he was looked straight in the eye and told this is your time, how bad do you want it, prove it to us.....

Everitt has had the heat put on him in 100 different ways to show up and prove that he is hungry for selection, Coaches don't put the heat on someone if they don't like them or think they are no good.

Our coaches see the same potential in Everitt that we do, unfortunately Dre has no one to blame but himself for his laconic nature and ambivalence towards the required effort needed to play senior football. He hits the packs half hearted and has been reported to actually fall asleep standing up with his eyes open during games. These attributes are not good enough and too risky, unfortunately Clayton got this one very wrong, otherwise he would of been all over him to move to the gold coast.

Everitt has the intensity of a mouse, he doesn't have the nous or the running power to play outside, he turns the ball over repeatedly and has zero confidence in himself. Confidence comes from hard work, it doesn't come from people saying you have potential, you'll be right one day.

Id say don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Andre, but I'd doubt he'd even notice.....

Sssshhhh ---- It's ok, Swannies, he doesn't mean it, you got a REALLY GOOD deal.... :eek:

I certainly don't claim to know the inner workings of the club. My judgement is based entirely on what I observe in games. Perhaps some here are too close to see the wood from the trees.

On game performance only, Everitt deserved to be selected a head of at least 4 others in the preliminary final team. This is hardly a controversial claim. To be honest it still pisses me off.

I have stated in previous posts that I felt Everitt was being judged unfairly because of a laconic gait. Some of the passionate responses in this thread, from those who claim closer knowledge of inside club workings, only confirms those fears.

I have strongly supported Eade and will give him the benefit of the doubt for some peculiarities this season. Nevertheless, I do not shun from the claim that I believe the management of Everitt and the subsequent trade will prove a major mistake.

Time will tell

Errrrrrr - weren't there a heap of people crying out for him to get a game and now someone says we shouldn't have got rid of him and their opinion is now 'stupid'???
:rolleyes:

Lol join the club.

Along with Vez (I wanted us to take Rioli) we've had some ripper first rounders such as Daniel O'Keefe, Johnston (Talented kid but always injured) and has anyone heard of Josh Willoughby? If you haven't it's because he never made his AFL debut (Same goes for DOK, I believe).

It's sort of funny that our teams have swapped first rounders who were taken with the exact same pick but haven't lived up to their potential as yet. Funny, but also not funny.

:eek:

Interesting that all of the 06 draft is on the way out ... Hill, Stack, Everitt ... Lynch last year. As Aker started the same year, surely this is not a coincidence.

More importantly who will be the next dog to wear no. 3? Or leave it in mothballs for a year?

I certainly don't claim to know the inner workings of the club. My judgement is based entirely on what I observe in games. Perhaps some here are too close to see the wood from the trees.

Do you take us as fools?

On game performance only, Everitt deserved to be selected a head of at least 4 others in the preliminary final team. This is hardly a controversial claim. To be honest it still pisses me off.

Did you watch the VFL finals? I would have hoped that Everitt (and Hill) would be playing for their lifes in these games, but did not force their way into the senior team with commanding performances.

Everitt's game in rd 22 against Essendon was hugely dissappointing. A solid performance would have meant that he played in our first final, but he was shitful and was subsequently dropped. As I was away for this game I watched the tape shortly after and thought Andrejs was extremely poor.

One piece of play caught my eye; In this piece of play Andrejs was battling for the ball in the middle of the ground and was knocked out the way and instead of getting back involved in the ground action he stood up placed his hands on his hips and watched the play continue. The ball eventually came out to Andrejs and he dished it off to Murf, but in this game he was playing for a spot in the team and to have the audacity to stand their with your hands on your hips was frightening.

I have stated in previous posts that I felt Everitt was being judged unfairly because of a laconic gait. Some of the passionate responses in this thread, from those who claim closer knowledge of inside club workings, only confirms those fears.

Everitt for all intents and purposes had the intensity of a sloth. It's ok to be laconic, but it's another thing to play & train like you don't care.

I have strongly supported Eade and will give him the benefit of the doubt for some peculiarities this season. Nevertheless, I do not shun from the claim that I believe the management of Everitt and the subsequent trade will prove a major mistake.

Time will tell

Yes it will, but how this trade plays out will be up to the individuals and not the clubs involved. The clubs will be doing all then can to maximise the return from their investmenst, but if the individual isn't driven to succeed then all the time spent of player development will be wasted.

Statistics can be damned lies but the comparison between the two players could indicate who got the better deal.
Everitt - 36 games in 4 years 12 in 2010
Veszpremi - 11 games in 3 years 1 in 2010

Everitt was also listed as an emergency several times, Veszpremi was pretty much confined to the Canberra league.

Everitt played in a stronger team than Sydney.

No problem with a trade for AE but I hope we got value!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dissapointing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back