Do not trade a future first

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Gold Coast do that?
Because Lombard will be a top 10 match for them. So they might hold that first to get a pick in before Lombard or might not want so many high draftees after last years haul and may choose to spread their riches into next draft.

Hard to tell what GC will do given their list age and burgeoning talent profile

Just saying I'm not averse to moving our F1 into this draft and fast tracking our rise. Our midfield needs help now!

I missed the first half, did we get the rub of the green in the first?
The sentiment on Facebook seems as if we go the better of the umpiring?
Got the first 5 frees of the game and Rozee took a clean mark that was called play on as the umo thought it hit the ground

My mum and I both looked at each other and said that the umps will definitely evening these up by the end of the night

Butters flopping gave them the perfect avenue for it

Because Lombard will be a top 10 match for them. So they might hold that first to get a pick in before Lombard or might not want so many high draftees after last years haul and may choose to spread their riches into next draft.

Hard to tell what GC will do given their list age and burgeoning talent profile

Just saying I'm not averse to moving our F1 into this draft and fast tracking our rise. Our midfield needs help now!
For some reason, it sounds like a Lombard bid will come past pick 8, so GC have no need to take the risk and move it for a future first. In fact, if they do move it, I wouldn't be surprised if they use it to try and trade up

After seeing a game where Butters killed us
Pick 4 = Draper. Draft calculations have him sliding out to pick 7. But he has the speed and evasion like Butters/Rozee which i dont think other picks possess, could be wrong.

We say we need strength in there but reality is we need x factor. Dowling, Edwards, Dawson, Curtin have size and grunt can be found.

Trade it, keep it, who gives a shit. Plenty more good draft picks to come as we seem stupidly committed to Nicks forever.

In our first 27 years as a club we had 7 top 10 draft picks.

In our 5 years of Nicks we have now earned 5 top 10 draft picks.
He will only make our first draft pick play deep defence first.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Within 3 goals of a team in 2nd without Rankine
Port have half a team of pleb C graders. We didn't win. We didn't look like winning. Port have a coach who knows how to create different gears. Nick's putts along in 3rd blaming the playing group for not finding 4th.

Port have half a team of pleb C graders. We didn't win. We didn't look like winning. Port have a coach who knows how to create different gears. Nick's putts along in 3rd blaming the playing group for not finding 4th.

As he said in the Geelong game. Too scared to make changes to ruin momentum, ie sub Curtin in.

That admission is pretty damming.

A coach should always be looking for ways to change things up. Can't keep the game in a holding pattern.

Gold Coast now got pick 5. I'd trade our F1 in a heartbeat for that. We'd just be trading in a high ender a year early.

I heard the club say injuries this year is what held us back, so if we have a good run with injuries next year and march up the ladder we'd be swapping in a pick 5 for a teens pick.

Consecutive high picks to get two great mids exactly when we need them - NOW!

We actually had a reasonable run with injuries - we had the 8th best run of the 18 sides.

As usual the club takes no notice of the first 4 weeks when we were horrendous and had minimal injuries.

After seeing a game where Butters killed us
Pick 4 = Draper. Draft calculations have him sliding out to pick 7. But he has the speed and evasion like Butters/Rozee which i dont think other picks possess, could be wrong.

We say we need strength in there but reality is we need x factor. Dowling, Edwards, Dawson, Curtin have size and grunt can be found.
From the limited highlights I’ve seen, he doesn’t have Butters skill level or decision making

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As he said in the Geelong game. Too scared to make changes to ruin momentum, ie sub Curtin in.

That admission is pretty damming.

A coach should always be looking for ways to change things up. Can't keep the game in a holding pattern.

No, that was an outright excuse. No coach since the sub rule has ever resisted the urge to try and wrestle an advantage by using the sub rule. Nicks is the only one. It was an an outright insult directed to Curtain. Nicks has something against him.

For example, when Ports defense had fogarty covered and Thilthorpe was struggling, he could have thrown Curtin forward who is taller and bigger in the body than Fogarty and fogarty could be used at half forward. Or triple team them.

But thats just one area I think Nicks is void of creativity, always wanting to play safe, never take risks. Curtin is a once in a generational player due to his height and running capability, not to mention his actual footballing ability. Aside from Read, he was rated as one of the most exciting player in the draft. Only reason he slid because other teams had other priorities.

I’d trade it this year if the right player is still there and we have a plan. Maybe with GC or Freo, have a pre plan like the one we had with GWS. If we can jag 2 top 10 or 12 players this draft, it will help us if we play them straight away. They need to be midfielders or a top half back to replace BSmith.

We could have a big spike and make the top 8 or at least top 10

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d trade it this year if the right player is still there and we have a plan. Maybe with GC or Freo, have a pre plan like the one we had with GWS. If we can jag 2 top 10 or 12 players this draft, it will help us if we play them straight away. They need to be midfielders or a top half back to replace BSmith.

We could have a big spike and make the top 8 or at least top 10

I would not trade pick 4 at all unless its for a premier star player in the comp. But having said that, pick 4 is almost certainly higher than we will get next year. Trading next years is likely to be around 10 or low teens in value. So we are certainly better off trading a future. We will get better x factor players trading this way then trading out this years and then hitting the draft and hoping that pick hits the spot.

I would not trade pick 4 at all unless its for a premier star player in the comp. But having said that, pick 4 is almost certainly higher than we will get next year. Trading next years is likely to be around 10 or low teens in value. So we are certainly better off trading a future. We will get better x factor players trading this way then trading out this years and then hitting the draft and hoping that pick hits the spot.

I hope we can trade as many players this year and cut deep because I think most players like Berry, Gollant and McHenry won’t get better but some clubs hope they might. Also I think We trade Keane to get another pick. This will allow us to pick hit the draft hard. Finally a midfielders draft.
We are in a good position I think, have good young backman and good forwards, just need some quality mids to bring it all together. Maybe a small forward too would help

I hope we can trade as many players this year and cut deep because I think most players like Berry, Gollant and McHenry won’t get better but some clubs hope they might. Also I think We trade Keane to get another pick. This will allow us to pick hit the draft hard. Finally a midfielders draft.
We are in a good position I think, have good young backman and good forwards, just need some quality mids to bring it all together. Maybe a small forward too would help

Coll’s 2nd (originally Haw’s) is currently at 32 and likely to blow out, not sure I’d be happy with that for a contracted Keane

We actually had a reasonable run with injuries - we had the 8th best run of the 18 sides.

As usual the club takes no notice of the first 4 weeks when we were horrendous and had minimal injuries.
The “injury ladder” is quite subjective, for example, if Murph and TT are both deemed best team players and miss the whole year they rank equally. There is no grading of talent or importance to the team. We have had TT out most of the year. Rankine 35%. Worrell 50%. Butts also a chunk all important structural players, we can afford to lose Murph, Sholl etc a lot more IMO

Coll’s 2nd (originally Haw’s) is currently at 32 and likely to blow out, not sure I’d be happy with that for a contracted Keane

That’s not good but maybe get a third club involved or they may trade another player out and get a better pick. KPD are rare and think we can get them to cough up at top 25 pick or get a next years second that we can then on trade back into this years

Disagree.

We went into that first game with Tex injured, Thilthorpe out after a massive pre season, our main key defender in Murray injured, Soligo - who we were targeting to be central to our midfield - carrying an injury, Sloane and Curtin injured.

I think we were all over the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do not trade a future first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back