• Yes

Votes: 53 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 138 56.3%
  • It's ok

Votes: 54 22.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t watch it, I enjoy watching females play some sports (netball/basketball/cricket/tennis) but AFL has too many skills for females to master, in turn making it look like a dogs breakfast, awful skill level, low scoring, slow, nothing about it excites me, smaller grounds would help.

I understand many of these girls didn’t grow up playing football so the skills should improve year on year.

Not saying they shouldn’t play or anything, just something I wouldn’t watch.

Last edited:
Just watched all of the Cats & Tigers today. I don't have a large sample size besides a watching a few Sains games over the past few seasons.

If you check the scores and see three goals you may think this was dull but it was relentless from start to finish with a few highly skilled players for both sides. Prespakis & Morrison for the Cats while Conti, McKenzie, and Sheeran stood out for the Tigers. Also, both defensive units held up quite well, but the delivery inside 50 from both sides seems to lack any type of planning and was very haphazard.

Is everybody ignoring the elephant in the room though? No knock at all on the players but why are the grounds still the same size as the men's competition? As soon as any of the girls actually lead up at the footy in the forward line it usually takes them out of their kicking range. Women's Cricket doesn't expect you to hit it out of the ground to get a 6! It's not sexist or demeaning to make these suggestions and I think it would help accelerate interest in the competition and certainly increase scoring.

The smaller dimensions would stop the play from being so contained between the 50m arcs and lead to higher scores, haven't really done my research beforehand but I've got no idea why this hasn't been implemented 7 seasons in.

Also, the boundary umps almost coming in 30m and tossing it in from there takes away advantages when sides get it deep into their 50. From what I saw today, with the shorter game time as well a few tweaks and additions could really amplify the viewing experience and get some more interest going.

Just watched all of the Cats & Tigers today. I don't have a large sample size besides a watching a few Sains games over the past few seasons.

If you check the scores and see three goals you may think this was dull but it was relentless from start to finish with a few highly skilled players for both sides. Prespakis & Morrison for the Cats while Conti, McKenzie, and Sheeran stood out for the Tigers. Also, both defensive units held up quite well, but the delivery inside 50 from both sides seems to lack any type of planning and was very haphazard.

Is everybody ignoring the elephant in the room though? No knock at all on the players but why are the grounds still the same size as the men's competition? As soon as any of the girls actually lead up at the footy in the forward line it usually takes them out of their kicking range. Women's Cricket doesn't expect you to hit it out of the ground to get a 6! It's not sexist or demeaning to make these suggestions and I think it would help accelerate interest in the competition and certainly increase scoring.

The smaller dimensions would stop the play from being so contained between the 50m arcs and lead to higher scores, haven't really done my research beforehand but I've got no idea why this hasn't been implemented 7 seasons in.

Also, the boundary umps almost coming in 30m and tossing it in from there takes away advantages when sides get it deep into their 50. From what I saw today, with the shorter game time as well a few tweaks and additions could really amplify the viewing experience and get some more interest going.
They have 2 less on field. Making the ground smaller would only congest it even more and they dont have the skill or kicking distance to get out of that. To make smaller ground work you'd need to take more players off the field. Is 12-14 v 12-14 even AFL at that point? Would it be accepted?

I’ve watched about 5 minutes of it since the competition started, but I don’t even enjoy watching VFL footy- as the standard just isn’t good enough for me to enjoy watching it- so suffice to say I have no interest in watching the inferior quality to that AFLW games.

The fact I feel like it’s being shoved down our throats whether we have any interest in it or not is also not helping their cause of wanting me to watch it. It’s actually making me resent it.

Decided to give it a crack when it was announced the Swans were getting a team. Not sure how my longevity in following it will go, but we'll see. Ginnieboy touched on why my interest might wane in regards to the low scoring, lack of skill etc... but in general, I hope AFLW continues to grow and is seen as a success going forward.

I’ve watched about 5 minutes of it since the competition started, but I don’t even enjoy watching VFL footy- as the standard just isn’t good enough for me to enjoy watching it- so suffice to say I have no interest in watching the inferior quality to that AFLW games.
I agree with this, it's similar to football in that I follow the English Premier League but have no interest whatsoever in the A League.

I am not a huge movie buff or concert lover so I view AFL as my most loved form of entertainment.

However I will say that in my scant viewing of AFLW even though the standard is low the players give their all and put their body on the line, can not fault their desire and intensity, hopefully the standard/skills improve dramatically over the next decade or so and it is eventually an entertaining product to watch.

It's not my cup of tea.

I happily watch women's tennis and soccer, as the standard is still elite, but the gap between AFLW and AFL is lightyears apart, in basic skills, ball movement, scoring, excitement, etc. That might change in 10-20 years in which case I'd probably watch my team (Richmond).

It's not my cup of tea.

I happily watch women's tennis and soccer, as the standard is still elite, but the gap between AFLW and AFL is lightyears apart, in basic skills, ball movement, scoring, excitement, etc. That might change in 10-20 years in which case I'd probably watch my team (Richmond).
I watch the Matildas in big tournaments, probably my fav womens team, but they lost 7-0 to Newcastle Jets under 14s. Really depends on what you call elite I guess

Matildas far superior to aflw or even womens cricket though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watch the Matildas in big tournaments, probably my fav womens team, but they lost 7-0 to Newcastle Jets under 14s. Really depends on what you call elite I guess

Matildas far superior to aflw or even womens cricket though.
Yeh, I think the standard of viewing quality in women's Tennis and Soccer is closer to the men's game in those sports relative to the massive gap between viewing standard of AFLW and AFL.

Don't watch many games these days...time is the official excuse, but it might also be because the Hawks these days are proving me to be a fickle bastard after all...! Most of my time is on Youtube watching the TSL...partly because of family links, watching the nephew on tv every week, but also because it's not about "elite" for me, it's about competitiveness. Give me two AFL teams with skewed levels of ability, and I'll take an evenly matched grudge game between two teams in a much lower division any day...

Watched AFLW Carlton v Collingwood last weekend, and was impressed with the competitiveness and the skills. The comp is getting better. Yeah, if I found the time, I'd watch this any day. Had no internet in this new house over the weekend, so I missed the inaugural Hawks v Bombers AFLW match...would have definitely told the secretary to hold all my calls if it was available...

Absolutely not...

What enrages me more than anything is getting "push" notifications from the afl app about women's football but i guarantee you if you had the aflw app you wouldn't hear anything abbot the men's.

Don't get me wrong i understand they haven't had the first 18 years of there life to get there skills crafted and there are some signs of some players being elite (mainly the crows midfield from last year) but they (the afl) market the wrong players as genuine superstars (looking at Tayla Harris) when there potatoes and then the ones who are probably better don't receive the exposure or bit of extra money they deserve.

I'll watch one game a weekend because I do find it exciting to see them improve but the pay they want is nothing to what they deserve right now as well.

I'm a big fan of women's cricket, regularly attended matches if I can.

AFLW, not so much. I don't like it, the skills are so bad. They've ruined it by having 18 teams, the talent pool was already questionable, but now, it's not going to be great. The scoring is deplorable, it's such a hard watch.

They don't deserve the same pay as the men for the product they produce. They can argue that if they had more time they could improve more, I get that. But where's the money going to come from? The crowds aren't great in comparison, if they are paid more it doesn't mean more people will attend and watch it on their TV.

The grounds are too big, when it's wet and windy the skills drop dramatically, look at the Geelong game recently, if you sat through the whole thing you deserve an award.

Not for me, but good on them for having a crack.

It’s absolute trash if you’re comparing the skills and gameplay to anything above u10s.

However for what it is, a massive growth opportunity for the sport, it’s fine to watch.

Just temper expectations and watch it as if it’s the early stage of a rebuild. Laughable errors but promising signs scattered about.

What I cannot stand though, is the over the top commentary where any basic skill executed turns is made out to be elite talent.

It’s all praise and no critique which just comes across as insincere and patronising.

It’s absolute trash if you’re comparing the skills and gameplay to anything above u10s.

However for what it is, a massive growth opportunity for the sport, it’s fine to watch.

Just temper expectations and watch it as if it’s the early stage of a rebuild. Laughable errors but promising signs scattered about.

What I cannot stand though, is the over the top commentary where any basic skill executed turns is made out to be elite talent.

It’s all praise and no critique which just comes across as insincere and patronising.
I agree with the commentary bit. It's almost like they're being forced to say positive things. Not heard or read any negative comments from anyone in the media.

Well I enjoy the VFL less than the AFL and I enjoy Division 1 local footy less than the VFL and AFLW is a considerably lower standard than Div 1 Northern Footy League. So no I don't enjoy it as a spectacle. I hope it succeeds and I think it will as it has its audience, but there's no point pretending the standard will ever get near even top local footy. Just like international women's cricket is a much lower standard than Grade cricket 1s and probably 2s.

Last edited:
Back