Do you like the " Welcome to Country " before the game

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup.

If it's an event held on crown land, as the MCG is, it needs to respect Australian society as a whole, and as of 1967 aboriginal Australia was recognised as an intrinsic part of that. There is no conflict with the idea of an approval from First Nations people, if those people have an attachment with the land in question, against official government standpoints...they exist together...

Yeah, it gets hijacked by activism or someone especially grumpy, and it was never intended to be a soapbox. The controversial speech a couple of weeks ago wasn't appropriate, or even factually accurate...250k years...! On the other hand, there is no place for the ignorance or racism that comes as a backlash...

We've already got legal precedence that aboriginal people were the original owners of the land through Mabo, to go with all the other legalities that see us observe a multitude of customs for events. So basically, an official acknowledgment, whether it be the WTC or something else that's legit, is simply manners. If you don't want to recognise WTC and want it abolished, take it up with the High Court...like Eddie Mabo did...!

I worked at a Catholic College this year, and we did prayers before each class after a break and to start staff meetings. I was asked how that went down with me, someone as unreligious as you'll get! I said I signed up for this and that's the way it's done here, so it's not for me to redesign the lounge room when visiting someone else's home...kinda the same as going along with WTC, someone was here before you and that's the way it's always been...and in both examples, the person who isn't catholic or isn't a member of the local aboriginal group is still invited to participate...

I like the one in qld. The others are dull and do nothing for me
If your going to have it get some real indigenous people who are actually doing it hard not some rich indigerous people who are looked after by some rich person .
Plus what beats me why isn’t the National Anthem played before all games start showing pride in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you like the " Welcome to Country " before the game

Back