Do you think there will ever be a Grandfather at AFL level?

Remove this Banner Ad

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
G'day folks. Just sitting around the breakfast table today with my mum, dad and aunt, who is visiting from Canada at the moment when we got in to a discussion. I got to thinking, with players like Boaky, Pendlebury, even players back in the day like Dustin Fletchery and Boomer Harvey playing well in to their mid to late 30s and even 40 in Fletchers case, do you reckon it's possible one day there'll be a grandpa playing AFL?

Picture this scenario, a kid is getting himself in to some mischief and accidentally babies a girl up at 15 years old. Gets his life together, puts his head down and is drafted at 18 with a 3 year old. 17 years later, his son follows in his dad's footsteps and pops out a kid, dad's all of a sudden a 36 year old veteran grandfather going around for another year when his son is drafted at 18 with a kid himself.
My aunt said it's a proposterous thought and not worth pondering further but my parents both agreed it's entirely possible.

Do you think we are more likely to see this happen nowadays, or less likely to see it happen with the rapidly changing global socio-economic landscape?

I think it could happen......

Looking at stats from the AIHW, ABS and AIFS websites, it's becoming less and less likely as the 15-19 fertility rate is at the lowest level it has ever been. It's also more likely to happen in the states with highest fertility rates NT, QLD, or NSW and less likely to happen Tasmania and the ACT. Also much more likely to be an indigenous person (11% of females who give birth are under 20 vs 1.3% for non indigenous females).

G'day folks. Just sitting around the breakfast table today with my mum, dad and aunt, who is visiting from Canada at the moment when we got in to a discussion. I got to thinking, with players like Boaky, Pendlebury, even players back in the day like Dustin Fletchery and Boomer Harvey playing well in to their mid to late 30s and even 40 in Fletchers case, do you reckon it's possible one day there'll be a grandpa playing AFL?

Picture this scenario, a kid is getting himself in to some mischief and accidentally babies a girl up at 15 years old. Gets his life together, puts his head down and is drafted at 18 with a 3 year old. 17 years later, his son follows in his dad's footsteps and pops out a kid, dad's all of a sudden a 36 year old veteran grandfather going around for another year when his son is drafted at 18 with a kid himself.
My aunt said it's a proposterous thought and not worth pondering further but my parents both agreed it's entirely possible.

Do you think we are more likely to see this happen nowadays, or less likely to see it happen with the rapidly changing global socio-economic landscape?
Could it have happened already?

What about being your own grandfather?
Scared Horror GIF

1996 olympic 100m final - Linford Christie was a grandfather. I think he was a grandfather when he came 6th in the 95 world championship too.

very unlikely....

even if you take old man fletcher who was 41.........being a grandfather at 41 is VERY rare, especially as these days its more common to be older have kids at opposed to younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so rare in some indigenous communities.
It could happen easily. Probably already has.
How would we know?.

well I said it was unlikely, not impossible.

and if it had happened already, we would know about it?

Bad day at the biscuit factory or is your aunt always this much of a prick?

Unrelated but my 15 year old son has 2 friends who both have single mothers. His aim is to get one of the friends to marry the other's mum and then he himself will marry the other mother and king himself as one of his friend's father and the other's grandfather.

As for the OP, it's a proposterous thought and not worth pondering further. And also it's preposterous.

Thanks for including the scenario, for many of us the human reproductive process remains a complete mystery.

How many men become grandfathers before say, 35?

If there's even a few each year, there's always a slim chance one of them has enough footballing talent to play or have played AFL.

Not many AFL players however are good enough to play into their 30s, let alone mid-late 30s. So the pool of players good enough to still be playing at 35 is quite small.

You'd need a Pendles calibre player and those sorts of players with extremely good longevity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back