Doc Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid wasnt in charge of Robinon or Dank, Corcoran and Hamilton were. These two were given licence to start the program without Reid's involvement it appears. Once Reid caught wind of it he approached Hird which escalated the matter to Robinson's manager. What else would you like Reid to do?
Have already explained( above) what he should have done once he made an arrangement to have everything run past him. You have to do more than lip service. That will do me thanks- we are not getting anywhere.

Have already explained( above) what he should have done once he made an arrangement to have everything run past him. You have to do more than lip service. That will do me thanks- we are not getting anywhere.
he wasnt given authority over the sports science department. If they werent doing their job it was Corcoran or Hamilton's job to set them straight

he wasnt given authority over the sports science department. If they werent doing their job it was Corcoran or Hamilton's job to set them straight
He wrote a letter, he put his hand up to be more in control of the program, they had to run things by him. The fact you accept that such a lax approach is ok, or that the accountability is murky, is exactly why your club ended up in this mess. And if you show no signs of learning from it, lets hope your club has Mxey!

So when they 'continued to run the program their own way' what info was the doc then given? Did they go from the situation he voiced his concerns about and carried on as before? What then did they tell him-that we are giving the players a vitamin C shot per week? Did he make inquiries to the players about the changes to the regime after he had written the letter? Did he go to Corcoran and Hamilton and ask for spreadsheets so he could approve or not? How did the new process work exactly? What exactly do you envisage happened?

He wrote a letter, he put his hand up to be more in control of the program, they had to run things by him. The fact you accept that such a lax approach is ok, or that the accountability is murky, is exactly why your club ended up in this mess. And if you show no signs of learning from it, lets hope your club has Mxey!
Not necessarily. The group decided Reid would review substances. For all we know that may have been the extent of his involvement

Also, no, I dont accept this was an acceptable approach, not even slightly. I'm raising possibilities that may explain why Reid wasnt fired or faced sanctions from the AFL

So when they 'continued to run the program their own way' what info was the doc then given? Did they go from the situation he voiced his concerns about and carried on as before? What then did they tell him-that we are giving the players a vitamin C shot per week? Did he make inquiries to the players about the changes to the regime after he had written the letter? Did he go to Corcoran and Hamilton and ask for spreadsheets so he could approve or not? How did the new process work exactly? What exactly do you envisage happened?
why are you asking me. I know no more about the specifics than you

all I know is what has been revealed in the media. Im making a judgement based on that. If Reid was as culpable as has been made out on here the AFL would have dealt with him
Yep don't think he is a baddie. But he is never going to be poster boy for the grey nomads. Old doesn't mean stupid after all! ;)

I agree his involvement begs many interesting questions. Im prepared to give him the benefit of a lot of doubt because of his ongoing popularity with club and players
Yep fair enough. Think he was kept in the dark and then, like others, didn't do enough. But can also sort of get how that could happen.

Essendon legend: members and club will do anything to ensure that they remain.
Outsider: we'll make a dozen of those muppets walk the plank to save the blokes that have red and black pumping through their veins.

The only one that doesn't apply to is Thompson. And he's only gone because he made it a case of him or Hird.

What should Reid have done? Let's look at the opening of his letter for the answer:

Dear James/Paul

I have some fundamental problems being club doctor at present. This particularly applies to the administration of supplements. 
Although we have been giving supplements for approximately three months, despite repeated requests as to exactly what we are giving our players and the literature related to this, have at no time been given that until last Sunday [15 January 2012]. Last week the players were given subcutaneous injections, not by myself, and I had no idea that this was happening and also what drug was involved.

He should have walked the walk. Literally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know. Its seriously hilarious. Why didnt the old coot send an email to Board members? Has he not heard of email?

But apparently he is 'well respected' and 'looks after families' according to the Bomber PR machine and then the fans just regurgitate these phrases like robots.

I mean hand-written letter. Cmon. This guy is completely negligent. Any reasonable Dr would have used email. Hes an old joke.

AFL use this approach too. Try making a complaint about an AFL doctor to AFL. They refused to investigate our allegation.

AFL use this approach too. Try making a complaint about an AFL doctor to AFL. They refused to investigate our allegation.
100% Incorrect! Wasnt hand written at all... its was a typed letter... so where does that leave you with your redic views on him not being a reasonable Doctor as he doesnt use email.

Do I believe a bloke who cannot even get the facts straight, a bloke who is completely speculating on Dr Reids relationship with players at the club, their families or the 1000's of patients that are booking in to see him weeks in advance.

Essendon legend: members and club will do anything to ensure that they remain.
Outsider: we'll make a dozen of those muppets walk the plank to save the blokes that have red and black pumping through their veins.

The only one that doesn't apply to is Thompson. And he's only gone because he made it a case of him or Hird.

What should Reid have done? Let's look at the opening of his letter for the answer:

He should have walked the walk. Literally.
Exactly. Irrespective of various peoples position in the monstrosity of the EFC organizational matrix, he was head medico and ultimately responsible for the medical well being of the players. On his watch they managed to get injected with unknown quantifies of unknown agents, with unknown long term side effects then he has quite simply failed in his duty of care. It's irrelevant wether he was complicit or not. He failed, and as you say, he should have walked. Being a popular family doctor for the club is irrelevant, I suspect it made it more difficult for him.

100% Incorrect! Wasnt hand written at all... its was a typed letter... so where does that leave you with your redic views on him not being a reasonable Doctor as he doesnt use email.

Do I believe a bloke who cannot even get the facts straight, a bloke who is completely speculating on Dr Reids relationship with players at the club, their families or the 1000's of patients that are booking in to see him weeks in advance.
Do you have a link to where it confirms it was typed? Everything else we've read about it says it was handwritten.

For the moment I believe you. I just want to put you on notice that I am tomorrow going to attempt an appointment with Dr Reid - better be booked out for weeks or I am THE MYTHBUSTER!!! Until then I'm going to depart to more important AFL-threatening issues (Carlton) :)

"The fears and misgivings harboured by Essendon club doctor Bruce Reid that were recorded in a letter early last year and delivered to the club's football operations boss Paul Hamilton is still being investigated by club chairman David Evans.

The hand-written letter was intended for chief executive Ian Robson and his directors, and yet none of the above were aware of it until February this year."

That appears to say hand written to me.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hamilton-key-to-letter-mystery-20130507-2j5v3.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back