Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

WILL ETIHAD SELL OUT THIS FRIDAY NIGHT? IT'S A TOUGH ONE, WITH FREMANTLE THE REIGNING PREMIERS AND COLLINWOOD'S FANS FULL OF FALSE HOPE CONSIDERING THE TIME OF YEAR

Unlikely - Fremantle has a small Victorian fan base and Collingwood fans don't travel to Etihad. Probably 30k on Friday night.

WILL ETIHAD SELL OUT THIS FRIDAY NIGHT? IT'S A TOUGH ONE, WITH FREMANTLE THE REIGNING PREMIERS AND COLLINWOOD'S FANS FULL OF FALSE HOPE CONSIDERING THE TIME OF YEAR
Freo the reigning premiers! If only. it would saved a lot of people a lot of grief from the hawthorn fans.

POSSIBLY NOT BECAUSE A FRIDAY NIGHT AWAY GAME FOR A WESTERN AUSTRALIAN TEAM DOESN'T OFTEN PULL A LOT OF SUPPORTERS DUE TO WORK COMMITMENTS.
HOWEVER COLLINGWOOD MAY MAKE UP FOR THAT DUE TO THEIR SHEER SIZE.

I don't see what you're trying to get at, mate.
If you're a Freo fan living in Perth it's much easier for you to get to Melbourne for a Saturday night game than a Friday night game. WA teams generally get more support in Victoria on Saturday nights due to this.
Given Collingwood is a massive club this could possibly cover for the fact that Freo's supporter base may be a bit smaller on a Friday night.

If you're a Freo fan living in Perth it's much easier for you to get to Melbourne for a Saturday night game than a Friday night game. WA teams generally get more support in Victoria on Saturday nights due to this.
Given Collingwood is a massive club this could possibly cover for the fact that Freo's supporter base may be a bit smaller on a Friday night.

It's the first game of the season, innit - like 12,000 neutrals

30,000 pois fans

HOW MANY Freo fans

It's the first game of the season, innit - like 12,000 neutrals

30,000 pois fans

HOW MANY Freo fans
Most Fremantle fans'll travel over for the game against the Hawks, then we probably won't have an influx until the Bullies and Tiges games which'll fall in the school holidays. Not a huge contingent. Work is an interesting one too, not to mention there's a culture in Victoria to prefer to see your club play another Vic side. Our biggest ever non-WA crowd came against Richmond last year and that got about 65,000... and they were riding a rare bandwagon.

It'll be interesting to see, I'd love to see it packed because who knows when it'll happen again. But surely anything lower than 38,000 will be considered disappointing. I was going to ring AFL Membership tomorrow and see what their prediction was, mostly in terms of sussing tickets, so we'll see.

Does anyone know when/if the roof policy changed for AFL?
On Twitter this week Etihad has been saying "Because it's a night game the roof will be closed".
I know in winter they close the roof on nice nights to keep the dew off the ground, but in March?
Has this happened in recent years? I've tweeted them back but no reply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know when/if the roof policy changed for AFL?
On Twitter this week Etihad has been saying "Because it's a night game the roof will be closed".
I know in winter they close the roof on nice nights to keep the dew off the ground, but in March?
Has this happened in recent years? I've tweeted them back but no reply.

AFL policy has been that the roof is closed for all night games.

AFL policy has been that the roof is closed for all night games.
Yes but for how long? And why? I mean, tonight (Sunday) would be risky but wasn't Friday a lovely day/night and thus would have been no problems with the roof being open?
If they're going to blanket-rule having the roof closed for something it should be day games - the shadows and contrast is shocking, especially with a red footy on TV!

Yes but for how long? And why? I mean, tonight (Sunday) would be risky but wasn't Friday a lovely day/night and thus would have been no problems with the roof being open?
If they're going to blanket-rule having the roof closed for something it should be day games - the shadows and contrast is shocking, especially with a red footy on TV!

Been that way for a while, couldnt tell you when the policy came out, but when Brad Scott had his whinge, the AFL said it had been that way for a while.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/cost_of_competing_too_much_for_some_ErOYYzGSvydrSaShwdMTmO

Now if im reading this correctly (and i am tired so its possible im not) - Victory are making money on crowds of five and six thousand for the ACL.

The Wanderers club attracted average crowds of about 11,000 for its two home matches, while the Melbourne Victory has only had attendances of about 5000 to 6000.

He says the club’s financial situation in the ACL has been saved by having a favourable stadium deal in place at Etihad Stadium in particular, where it makes money even if crowds are low.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/cost_of_competing_too_much_for_some_ErOYYzGSvydrSaShwdMTmO

Now if im reading this correctly (and i am tired so its possible im not) - Victory are making money on crowds of five and six thousand for the ACL.
I seem to remember when the Victory first came about they got a deal at the stadium (due to it mostly being empty over summer) where they got almost if not all the ticket sales. I think the stadium operators only got the concessions money. All this just to get people through the door over summer. I have no idea how long this deal was due to run though

Melbourne Victorys deal with Etihad Stadium is one the mirrors there 2005/06 deal at Olympic Park and was only reason the club moved to the Docklands venue as well as Docklands wanting a summer tenant.

Victory will get a fixed return on all games played till the break even is met then all gate takings are the clubs. The break even was talked to be around 14k.

Compare this deal with its true home across town at Swan Street. The club is required to reach 18k to break even and there is NO fixed return below that.

With docklands crowds averaging 26,609 since the move in 2006 and games drawing as high as 45,202 this season, it's a massive reason the club continues playing 5 games a season and ACL fixtures at the Venue with the ground being a major Soccer stadium in this city.

Top attendance since at Docklands

v Sydney FC 2006 - 50,333
v Heart 2013 - 45,202
v Heart 2012 - 42,032
v Heart 2013 - 41,203
v Sydney FC 2011 - 40,351

The length of the deal is unknown. However, 5 games of H&A season must be played at the venue as well as finals (unless a clash) and ACL matches.

Melbourne Victorys deal with Etihad Stadium is one the mirrors there 2005/06 deal at Olympic Park and was only reason the club moved to the Docklands venue as well as Docklands wanting a summer tenant.

Victory will get a fixed return on all games played till the break even is met then all gate takings are the clubs. The break even was talked to be around 14k.

Compare this deal with its true home across town at Swan Street. The club is required to reach 18k to break even and there is NO fixed return below that.

With docklands crowds averaging 26,609 since the move in 2006 and games drawing as high as 45,202 this season, it's a massive reason the club continues playing 5 games a season and ACL fixtures at the Venue with the ground being a major Soccer stadium in this city.

Top attendance since at Docklands

v Sydney FC 2006 - 50,333
v Heart 2013 - 45,202
v Heart 2012 - 42,032
v Heart 2013 - 41,203
v Sydney FC 2011 - 40,351

The length of the deal is unknown. However, 5 games of H&A season must be played at the venue as well as finals (unless a clash) and ACL matches.

If the breakeven is 14k, it explains why the AFL were so keen to get their hands on the deal documents, because AFL clubs are being told the breakeven for them is 30k. If its 14k, then the AFL stands to make a small mint when it takes over.

Does anybody know why Docklands and the MCG still use the rotating advertising boards on the sidelines when every other regular ground has upgraded to the video boards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back