Does anyone fear what Gold Coast will be?

Remove this Banner Ad

the debate will carry on for the next decade, which will be interesting in how it unfolds.

Talent wise, and personel I'm happy with the list. It seems to be the stuff between the ears the last 12 months that has me concerned which many people seem to pin on the leadership group and coaching staff.

Things change a lot in a year. Not just within a club but as importantly at the other 17 clubs too.

It's why I roll my eyes whenever someone says "DYNASTY????!!?!!!!!" after a club wins a single flag :rolleyes: Or before GC and GWS debuted many tools were claiming they were being gifted flags (they shut up about that pretty quick :rolleyes:).

In summary, it's hard to predict the future in a league like this.

Bock and harbrow out of the backline really hurts. Means ablett has to drop back to help distribute from there rather than push into the forward half of the midfield.

Also really hurts that it looks like they misfired badly with krakour and brown. Brennan was good last year but way off this year.

If all those names had stayed healthy/played up to potential, then would be a much much better team. Tough asking ablett and 19 year olds to carry the team.

GWS had a better draft (2011>2010) and drafted better players
GWS recruited the right experienced players
GWS recruited a very experienced coaching box
GWS have better facilities around them

I can't see GC winning a flag within the next 5 years, I can see GWS being a threat within 2-3 years.

if they were playing with the spirit and endeavour that the giants have shown, they would be sitting with those times on ~4 wins so far this year imo....

far more talent than the giants imo.... but talent will only get you so far.

In the long run this year's disappointing season may be a blessing disguise. A crap year with no major movement in development may mean that a few of the very promising young players may realise that they will not just have to show to win a premiership but they will have train and put in some very hard yards and that being a good side is just not about talent. Potential is a double edged sword.

They will be pretty bloody good next year when Jaeger O'Meara and Lachlan Whitfield are running around for them. In a few years time they will be unstoppable. Afl have gifted them way too much talent and then they tanked for even more talent.

Looks like the freo & port entries again

The first one in had been a shambles, wrong player types drafted and then coached poorly. Second one in has a better spread of experience and are being coached to only accept winning.

I thought sheedy was a,mistake but I was wrong. He was talking about flags from the start, comparing to the baby bombers to reinforce the winning mentality. Compare to mckenna who was happy with yesterdays shellacking and still let's players off the hook by publically referring to 2013 as another development year

They will be pretty bloody good next year when Jaeger O'Meara and Lachlan Whitfield are running around for them. In a few years time they will be unstoppable.

Agree with this. Might even get a priority pick as well :thumbsu:

Afl have gifted them way too much talent and then they tanked for even more talent.

How insulting comparing us to Melbourne, Collingwood and Carlton.

We have never tanked. We are just young (and crap).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will be pretty bloody good next year when Jaeger O'Meara and Lachlan Whitfield are running around for them. In a few years time they will be unstoppable. Afl have gifted them way too much talent and then they tanked for even more talent.
This

It is really amazing the amount of talent they will have recieved by 2014-2015. They along with GWS will be unstopppable....

It's pathetic by the AFL

Was going to start a thread asking the following question but I'll just cut it down to the question and put it in here since it sort of links in.

At what point do GWS and GC's flogings stop becoming learning experiences and due to them being new teams, and start being due to them just being bad teams?

IF GC are still getting spanked in 2015 fairly reguarly, are they a complete failure? What are the stages of improvement/targets that they need to be hitting?

By this stage of the season last year, Gold Coast had won 2 games. GWS has won 1, against GC. There is every chance that GWS will follow a similar course to the decline of GC later in the year and next year, as their players are found out by the other clubs and they fatigue.

Also, I'm not sure where the idea that 2011 was a stronger draft than 2010 is coming from- performance so far? Prior to the drafts I heard the 2010 draft touted as one of the strongest ever, particularly if the GC pre-selections were included. Gaff, Heppell, Conca, Polec, Karnezis, Darling, Atley, Harper, Batchelor, Parker, Smith x2, Liberatore, Wallis, Fasolo - All these are players who are performing for their clubs in their second years, clubs other than the GC who supposedly pillaged that draft. It goes very deep.

I do agree that the coaching staff of GWS seem to have the right idea in instilling the agressive mentality into their players.

GWS had a better draft (2011>2010) and drafted better players
GWS recruited the right experienced players
GWS recruited a very experienced coaching box
GWS have better facilities around them

I can't see GC winning a flag within the next 5 years, I can see GWS being a threat within 2-3 years.

You are dreaming if you think they can win a flag in 2-3 yrs. Despite their good showing this yr., they are still miles away from even being finalists, let alone a premiership chance !!! :rolleyes:

Would you have accepted that for Heppel?

also, hooker is way too injury prone, seems to have lost a yard since his hammy went. I reckon pears is a much better prospect

Would you have accepted that for Heppel?

also, hooker is way too injury prone, seems to have lost a yard since his hammy went. I reckon pears is a much better prospect
Hooker hasnt been beaten this year
And Heppell had just won the rising star, Caddy was one of a dozen young midfielders they had, even Hooker alone would be way overs.
The general consensus on the Essendon board is that Hooker is better than Pears by the way.

Hooker hasnt been beaten this year
And Heppell had just won the rising star, Caddy was one of a dozen young midfielders they had, even Hooker alone would be way overs.
The general consensus on the Essendon board is that Hooker is better than Pears by the way.

I think that hookers injuries make him an unappealing prospect over pears

It's more likely gold coast wouldn't have accepted a deal that wasn't massive overs anyway, caddy was the first who wanted to leave playing the homesick card. Obviosuly they waned to set a strong precedent

GC's development reminds me more of Melbourne, where the kids are being fed the message that they will eventually get good regardless of the effort they put in here and now.

Massive concern for GC, especially the younger players

The media constantly pump them up and talk about how amazing they'll be, seems like the team are waiting for that to happen instead of trying to achieve it.

As their players age and become better, and as their salary cap is lowered, GC won't be able to fit everyone in, and they'll run off to other clubs.

They've also been raised in a losing culture.

the debate will carry on for the next decade, which will be interesting in how it unfolds.

Talent wise, and personel I'm happy with the list. It seems to be the stuff between the ears the last 12 months that has me concerned which many people seem to pin on the leadership group and coaching staff.

I always felt that GC erred in not picking up more experience solid citizens. The senior guys that they picked up seem to be solo artists or flaky. It's going to be really interesting to watch in terms of recruitment versus development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone fear what Gold Coast will be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back