Dogs v Swans - game analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyberdoggie said:
i can't really see why people think murphy play up forward, he's a natural creative backman. He reads the play beautifully and almost never gets beaten 1 on 1. .

its exactly these attributes that make him suited to a wing - we have others who can play back flank effectively and with a better kick on them - gilbee comes to mind immediately, and robbo/macmahon also have good run and decent kicking skills.

if we are prepared to kick to a contest on the wing, murphy will reward the kicker more often than not. we have been just so adverse to kicking to a contest in the past with this leading to the boundary line BS...

a long kick to a 1:1 involving murph is a way better option than wide to nowhere or a short disposal into trouble.

Dog Town said:
I am a bit the same.If we can get him on the wing to see how he goes then we should do it but people shouldn't forget just how good he is from half back.I can barely remember an opponent beating him and he creates so well from back there.I think if we can get him onto the wing and use his evasiveness and one on one skills to get him more of the ball then it might be beneficial but if it turns out that he is still only getting 15-20 touches a game then I think he is better off back in defence where he gets a similar amount of the ball.

Just on his kicking.Although it was bad at times on the weekend it has improved over the last 2 seasons.A couple of years ago he was turning it over 4 or 5 times a game by trying to go to short and out thinking himself.Last season that improved alot and he was far more damaging with his kicking from half back mainly because he was going longer.

I'd like to see Rob Murphy taking more of a Jim Hird role in the side. Half forward who has a license to change into the centre square as he sees fit. I really think we are wasting his talent in the backline. Darcy, West, Cooney and Murphy sounds pretty good going into a ball up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs v Swans - game analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back