Remove this Banner Ad

MoffOnTou

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 26, 2002
Thank God Not Melbourne or Adelaide
Other Teams
Canterbury Bulldogs
Thought id give all the keen BigFootyians a quick run down of the double header tonight

Twas a good evening, to get 42,000 people out there with the crap weather was a good effort. It poured down for much of the Tigers/Saints game and kept raining throughout the Dogs/Souths match. Tigers surprisingly had heaps of fans, Souths looked outnumbered but by the end of the night, all the remaining tigers and saints fans had joined the Rabbits bandwagon

Full credit to Souths. They put in tonight and it showed. I really thought they were going to pull off the win when Anasta got sent to the bin. But it was a top game.

I thought the tigers/dragons game was entertaining enough. It was played in terrible conditions, so given that, i was impressed with the effort. Good to see the Tiges off to another good start to a season

I paid $30 for crap seats (never trusting a friend again to buy seats!). But overall, was a good start to the footy viewing season!

All the games this year so far have had a bit of feeling in them. I think that is a good thing

Cheers,
Moffo

It was a frustrating night for me, nothing we did turned right. Too many drop balls, ill disciplined and a disgraceful kicking game. Basically, Same crap, new year. Some players need to be dropped, eg: Hassan Saleh and Brent Kite.

Just on the ticketing thing, reserve seating for the entire ground is just ridiculous. All it does is hold people up at the box office discussing what seat they want to buy and where, have a general admission area and let people decide where they want to sit when they get into the ground, ITS MUCH EASIER!!!!!.

As I said before!

Thank god for Fox....I spent all Sat. a/noon and evening watching rugby league and finished off watching the Waratahs!

Anyway, enjoyed both games and thought the Tigers were particularly good.
Crowd was pretty good, considering the weather andgames televised live on Fox.
Did Ch.9 do both games live?.......that certainly keeps people away.

Bet the weather's nice night this Sat. night though;)

Is the double header dead?

42,000 is a disgrace for the double header. The crowds have been slipping for this event since its beginning.

I doubt they will bother next year. More people went to Telstra stadium to watch the second most boring game of AFL in 2002 in the swans v Carlton ( Most boring was Swans v St K, for those interested).

Originally posted by MoffOnTou
Thought id give all the keen BigFootyians a quick run down of the double header tonight

Twas a good evening, to get 42,000 people out there with the crap weather was a good effort. It poured down for much of the Tigers/Saints game and kept raining throughout the Dogs/Souths match. Tigers surprisingly had heaps of fans, Souths looked outnumbered but by the end of the night, all the remaining tigers and saints fans had joined the Rabbits bandwagon

Full credit to Souths. They put in tonight and it showed. I really thought they were going to pull off the win when Anasta got sent to the bin. But it was a top game.

I thought the tigers/dragons game was entertaining enough. It was played in terrible conditions, so given that, i was impressed with the effort. Good to see the Tiges off to another good start to a season

I paid $30 for crap seats (never trusting a friend again to buy seats!). But overall, was a good start to the footy viewing season!

All the games this year so far have had a bit of feeling in them. I think that is a good thing

Cheers,
Moffo

Place needs a roof;)

Good to see the Doggies up and running.

42,000 is not too bad for a double header. Equates to 21,000 for each game, probably more than would be drawn if the games were seperate.

Re: Is the double header dead?

Originally posted by grayham
42,000 is a disgrace for the double header. The crowds have been slipping for this event since its beginning.

I agree, I hate Double Headers. I wish the NRL will scrap them for good. Its too American for my liking.

Re: Is the double header dead?

Originally posted by grayham

I doubt they will bother next year. More people went to Telstra stadium to watch the second most boring game of AFL in 2002 in the swans v Carlton ( Most boring was Swans v St K, for those interested).

42,000 is pretty good for rugby league Grayham.

Don't forget the games were all live on foxtel.....and on a wet day/night......that too keeps quite a few away....overall...for league, it was a really good crowd.

Also the Warratahs drew 27/28,000 further down the road, didn;t they??? Don;t forget their are 2 codes of rugby being played in Sydney!

If more people went to the Swans vs Carlton game, it was because a lot of free tickets were given away by the afl to promote the game;)

Maybe the NRL could consider doing a double head once every 3 years or so, because the novelty wears off after a while.

• Banned
I dont mind double headers, although i hate the fact that so many people leave after the first game and the full crowd is never there.

Grayham - It was wet and raining on Saturday. The clouds were threatening, black and they were predicting storms. If it were not raining, there would've been 50,000 people there IMO. How exactly is it a disgrace?

I hear the Swans got 2,000 to a game at the SCG last weekend :p What a disgrace!! :eek:

Cheers,
Moffo

I dont mind double headers, although i hate the fact that so many people leave after the first game and the full crowd is never there.

Grayham - It was wet and raining on Saturday. The clouds were threatening, black and they were predicting storms. If it were not raining, there would've been 50,000 people there IMO. How exactly is it a disgrace?

Cheers,
Moffo

42,000 might sound a lot to rugby league people, but it is pretty bad for a showcase event like the double header.
Especially at Stadium Australia.

Looks like crowds might be down on last year already.

lol Grayham, going hard as an AFL troll i see ;)

RL got over 123,000 to round 1 games at an average of over 17,000. This figure was up on last year

Ill just say it again, i was at the game and the weather was crap. I don't know what other way to say it. Considering 2 of the teams involved were cellar dwellars (Tigers and Souths), i thought the crowd was ok. But if you think otherwise, well.... lets just leave it at that

Cheers,
Moffo

Moff

Grayham is big on geeing up the Swans and afl in Sydney and big on rubbishing rugby league.

I notice he did not reply to my post above where I stated that many tickets were given away (by the afl) to those 3 Telstra stadium games featuring the Swans (not that attendance for those games would have been too bad anyway) and also he did not take into account the weather and the fact there were 3 live games of league on Fox.....just alone those 3 things can keep the crowds away.....particularly if you have fox or access to it... a complete footy feast..........followed by a replay of the Warratahs Super 12's game.
Another thing Grayham conveniently forgot, was further down the road, the Warratahs in Super 12's and drew about 28,000.

He's not bad for a plumber from Shepparton, who lives in Sydney and probably works for the Swans;)

:p :D

Not to mention the fact that ive been told porkies by certain swans fans on this board about their membership base (fact is, its down to 17,000!). Not the other crap that was pushed around the AFL board the other day. They will get nowhere near the 25,000 peak that they had several years ago. They have 17,000 Sydney Members, yes, that is the figure.

Cheers,
Moffo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Official Swans website has 19,473 as the figure as of 17/03. I don't know whether that includes Melbourne-based members also though.

If we have 25,000 members, there's a hell of a lot of them not bothering to turn up at games! One thing I've found with the RL clubs is that they're not as membership-focused as the AFL clubs. Most have leagues clubs and get by quite nicely on them. I know that the Eels membership brochure (bad, bad me for not renewing membership this year, just can't afford it!) really pushes the "season ticket" aspect, and has "membership" more as an additional bonus.

Um. what was the topic again? I don't really fancy the idea of the double header, unless you are a real fan of the game itself. I consider myself a Parra fan more than a rugby league fan, so I wouldn't really enjoy the other game. I went to a double header a couple of years back.. It was Parra v Penrith first, then the other game - left about halftime of that one. It's probably not so bad if the game you went to watch was the second game, then the first game would be like a warmup :)

As a person who is interested in and enjoys watching both League and Aust footy I really can't see the point in supporters of the 2 codes constantly bagging each other. The codes are completely different with next tonothing in common.

I would have thought that League people would be more concerned with the union onslaught and AFL fans with that of Soccer.

They have 17,000 Sydney Members, yes, that is the figure.

Cheers,
Moffo

You're right, it's dropping slightly, but they'll still get 25,000 of which 20,000 are in Sydney. That's what they've had for a few years now, and no AFL club reaches its membership peak for the year until about 5 or 6 weeks in. I don't know why, but that's how it happens.

5,000 elsewhere members (especially old South supporters in Melbourne) is pretty standard too.

Tygrman

Originally posted by TYGRMAN
As a person who is interested in and enjoys watching both League and Aust footy I really can't see the point in supporters of the 2 codes constantly bagging each other. The codes are completely different with next tonothing in common.
====================

I think most of it is not bagging the other codes, but more *banter* and competitive spirit and a wish to communicate with others....well for me, its that way......though I love to stick up for league in every way possible here in Melb.....where it does get bagged a lot.
====================
I would have thought that League people would be more concerned with the union onslaught and AFL fans with that of Soccer.
====================
I disagree with you on this one, I think the afl are the dominent code here is Aust.....probably just, but are more national, but in my eyes, they are very fearful of other footy codes....compared to how other football codes see afl as competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Double Header...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back