Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Played against him as a junior - massive talent. Terrible run with injuries, but would make a great risk-free investment in the rookie draft. He'll never become the superstar he should have done, but he'll make a fine player if he can get his body right - particularly with the need for a bigger-bodied forward we've got at the moment.
run of the mill,player whats the point.........................
if we could of straight swapped him for thursty , i wouldnt of minded trying him for a year but dont want to carry another middle of the road player.

Drafting Dowler (or any of the other fifty de-listed or unwanted players that are put forward every week) is the equivalent of trawling through another club's garbage looking for a diamond.

You are very, VERY unlikely to find one.

There is a reason these players are churned. They rarely come good. Almost never in fact.

We've got our backup/speculative spot filled for next year in Miller who, barring injury, is not expected to play many games anyway.

Let's keep the remaining spots open for kids who haven't had a go at top level yet.

Give me Dowler over Miller any day of the week. Dowler at least has footballing talent. Miller's greatest achievements are all on the training track.

We can have Both... Miller offers leadership and i think there hoping he will stay as a coach. Dowler has had a hard time breaking into the Hawthorn foward line a high draft pick and still only young.

Would be very happy for us to look at Dowler or Muston; preferably Dowler but I think both have a lot more to offer at AFL level.

Lets be honest here Griff wont be a regular player for a while and his fairly injury prone so we have to take it slow with him. If you look in all 5 games he played we won so having two fowards can only be a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me Dowler over Miller any day of the week. Dowler at least has footballing talent. Miller's greatest achievements are all on the training track.

Completely Agree!

Miller is a waste of space and the sooner people on here realise that he will have a negative influence on our players as a coach/player the better. Why not try dowler at least he still has a chance at being half decent?

Skipper is the best performed of the players that Hawthorn delisted. I'm really surprised we didn't hold on to him.

Muston tries hard but is very slow and I'm not sure he can keep up with the pace of AFL footy. Shane Tuck is a better option for you guys. I could see him doing quite well at Sydney or St.Kilda. He can kick the ball a long way too.

Dowler on the other hand strung together 3-4 good games towards the end of 2009. He fell out of favor early this year and was never given an opportunity to prove himself. Definitely a risk but I think he's worth a punt.

I'd consider rookie-ing him but not all that interested.

Same but it's probably Dowler that needs to be 'interested' reading the reports about his psychological issues.

You gotta presume the Hawks were reasonably active in getting him fit to play at the top level after investing in him so early & it seems there has been limited progress.
I know the log-jam in their firsts with Buddy & Roughy and all that but it's not as if Dowler kicked 80 odd goals in the VFL or anything.

If we go ahead then it certainly would have to be a 'spare' rookie spot and then only if we had some sort of real plan to get him firing and pushing for a senior selection.

Otherwise surely it would make more sense to put that time into a kid instead.

What was Dowler's best achievement on the field, out of interest?

Played FF for a half against Essendon, picked up a dozen touches and kicked four goals. Kicked 3 goals in Tassie IIRC, again playing as a FF.

Every other time he played he was a hbf/wing, and just picked up the "standard" 20-odd touches.

With no spot in the AFL side (Franklin/Roughead), Dowler spent most of his box hill time at FB/CHB, in an attempt to make him something he is not.

Played FF for a half against Essendon, picked up a dozen touches and kicked four goals. Kicked 3 goals in Tassie IIRC, again playing as a FF.

Every other time he played he was a hbf/wing, and just picked up the "standard" 20-odd touches.

With no spot in the AFL side (Franklin/Roughead), Dowler spent most of his box hill time at FB/CHB, in an attempt to make him something he is not.
He did pretty well in 2 matches end of last year, one against a struggling Essendon side, one against a dead-set disorganised Richmond side. He got to 20 touches once. Not "standard".

If we went on like this for Brad Miller's career, it'd be 10 times as long, because he's actually been a semi-OK player for 6 years, not half a season. That's the point I was making.

I watched his game against us late last year, think he kicked 3-4, playing as the main tall target while Roughy and Franko were out injured. He dominated. Some of the grabs he took were outstanding, running hard lead for 40 metres and taking them hands out front without breaking stride. He just happens to be playing in the worst possible team for a player of his type, which has really stuffed around his development. If Hardwick is remotely interested, so am I.

I watched his game against us late last year, think he kicked 3-4, playing as the main tall target while Roughy and Franko were out injured. He dominated. Some of the grabs he took were outstanding, running hard lead for 40 metres and taking them hands out front without breaking stride. He just happens to be playing in the worst possible team for a player of his type, which has really stuffed around his development. If Hardwick is remotely interested, so am I.

Every player can have a break out game now and then, especially against a cellar dweller.

Hell, even Cleve Hughes produced a day out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back