Draft rules

Remove this Banner Ad

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there a minimum number of players that a club HAS to draft at the National Draft?
I was thinking it was 4, but I'm not sure...

They have to clear room for three. This was most recently notable last year when Port drafted just Barry Brooks, Damon White and redrafted Jared Poulton.

Similarly Geelong at some stage when they drafted Hunt, Lowther & someone else I forget.

I'm pretty sure Brisbane did that too in the year they drafted Cupido.

Thanks Porthos. Just trying to wok out how many the Hawks have to delist. Our third pick is a wonderful 71 overall. Don't see us getting much for that. Maybe we'll just redraft someone we delist.

Originally posted by stemline
Thanks Porthos. Just trying to wok out how many the Hawks have to delist. Our third pick is a wonderful 71 overall. Don't see us getting much for that. Maybe we'll just redraft someone we delist.

never understood why clubs do that :(

I think that we will only draft three this year. We already have Cameron Cloke, so maybe our only picks will be 23 & 32.

We may promote Justin Crow off our rookie list, who is a skinny ruck, but did extremely well for Williamstown this year.

Originally posted by roostersgal4eva

Think they usually delist someone still under contract and then pick them back up when no other club wants them - if you're going to pay them anyway, they might as well be on the list.

Originally posted by roostersgal4eva

Because sometimes your left with no choice but to delist someone to make room for 3 draft picks and know that you still want them on the list but the rules state you can't ala Poulton last year. Port would have been happy not to delist him but were (just about) always going pick him up if he was still available when they had their 3rd pick.

Originally posted by stemline
Don't forget that if it is a shallow draft this year ond most clubs only pick up 3 or at the most 4 players, then pick 71 can really end up being a pick in the 50 - 60 range. Still not great, but then Michael Long was a 70+ draftee, I think, as have been a few others good players that have been picked over the years. Anyone with an 'AFL 2002' of earlier version can give you more info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back