Drafting - 2nd best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dreadnaught

Draftee
Aug 8, 2008
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
With the big debate this year of Watts vs Naitanui, as to who is the best young talent in the draft, it led me to compare the number one vs number two draft picks over the last 15 years. The lists look like this:

Number one picks:

1992 - Drew Banfield (West Coast)
1993 - Darren Gaspar (Sydney)
1994 - Jeff White (Fremantle)
1995 - Clive Waterhouse (Fremantle)
1996 - Michael Gardiner (West Coast)
1997 - Travis Johnstone (Melbourne)
1998 - Des Headland (Brisbane Lions)
1999 - Josh Fraser (Collingwood)
2000 - Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
2001 - Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
2002 - Brendon Goddard (St Kilda)
2003 - Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs)
2004 - Brett Deledio (Richmond)
2005 - Marc Murphy (Carlton)
2006 - Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
2007 - Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)
2008 - Jack Watts (Melbourne)

Number two picks:

1992 - Nathan Chapman (Brisbane)
1993 - Nigel Lappin (Brisbane)
1994 - Anthony Rocca (Sydney)
1995 - Matthew Primus (Fitzroy)
1996 - Chris Heffernan (Essendon)
1997 - Brad Ottens (Richmond)
1998 - Justin Longmuir (Fremantle)
1999 - Paul Hasleby (Fremantle)
2000 - Justin Koschitzke (St Kilda)
2001 - Luke Ball (St Kilda)
2002 - Daniel Wells (Nth Melbourne)
2003 - Andrew Walker (Carlton)
2004 - Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
2005 - Dale Thomas (Collingwood)
2006 - Scott Gumbleton (Essendon)
2007 - Trent Cotchin (Richmond)
2008 - Nicholas Naitanui (West Coast)

I know it is hard to compare the last three years or so, as more time is required to compare these playes properly. But for me, I would take the list of number two draft picks over the list of number one draft picks.

Also, I know that the draft continues before 1992, but I didn't recognise any of their names (first or second picks) so I could not include them to compare.

Yeah, the number 1 pick is the one certainty these days, and you could argue all those players are/will be stars.

Murphy hasn't got going yet, but I reckon he'll be great one day.

IMO:

92: 1 > 2
93: 2 > 1
94: 1 > 2
95: 2 > 1
96: 1 > 2
97: 2 > 1
98: 1 = 2 (no idea really)
99: 1 > 2 (arguable)
00: 1 > 2
01: 1 > 2
02: 1 > 2 (again arguable)
03: 1 > 2
04: 1 = 2 (both guns)
05: 1 = 2 (hard to split)
06: 1 > 2 (still a long time to go though)

07 and 08 is pointless to speculate.

I think #1 wins.

The Quality of #1 draft picks since 2000 has dramatically increased anyone agree with me?
I'd agree. Though I don't have any concrete evidence to back this up, I would suggest this is because all clubs have poured large sums of money into recruiting and the AFL Draft Camp has only been a well-designed method of testing draftees since the very late 90s.

Yeah, the number 1 pick is the one certainty these days, and you could argue all those players are/will be stars.

Murphy hasn't got going yet, but I reckon he'll be great one day.

IMO:

92: 1 > 2
93: 2 > 1
94: 1 > 2
95: 2 > 1
96: 1 > 2
97: 2 > 1
98: 1 = 2 (no idea really)
99: 1 > 2 (arguable)
00: 1 > 2
01: 1 > 2
02: 1 > 2 (again arguable)
03: 1 > 2
04: 1 = 2 (both guns)
05: 1 = 2 (hard to split)
06: 1 > 2 (still a long time to go though)

07 and 08 is pointless to speculate.

I think #1 wins.

I disagree on '98, '04 and '05; I think number 1 clearly outperforms number 2 in all three instances. I'd go with 2 > 1 in '99, and comparing 2000 is kinda pointless, seeing as they both went to the same club.

So that's 4 times in 15 years I'd say the number 2 pick has outperformed number 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Gardiner was a complete flop!
Appart from the 05-07 seasons where Carlton got 3 consecutive #1 drafts, i'd say its looking good.
Most of #1 drafts were/or still play football which is encouraging!

Appart from the 05-07 seasons where Carlton got 3 consecutive #1 drafts, i'd say its looking good.

maybe, but when you compare him to clive waterhouse he looks likes like an all time great.

In the end he was, but he was the best ruckman in the game during his better days, and did teach Cox everything he knew.

Number 1 picks easily better than number 2 picks. I actually thought it would be closer. Only wins for the number 2 picks have been Lappin, Primus, Ottens and Hasleby.
I dispute that Hasleby has been that much better then Fraser

If you don't think Nigel Lappin was a better player than all those above you need your head read.

Call me biased, but i'm positive all football followers would find that hard to argue.

Shouldn't you and other's judge this at the end of there career's not at the start.

We have all seen Lappin have a very good career so let's wait 10 years and see how the other players mentioned go.

you have got to be kidding!:eek:

riewoldt, hodge, goddard, cooney, deledio, gibbs alone are (or in the case of the last 4 will be) better than anyone in the pick 2s list.

I'm not arguing that the number 2 pick has been better every single year. There are definitely instances where the number one pick has out performed the second pick. But as a whole, I think the list of second picks is better.

Out of the players you just mentioned, I think that there is a case to say that Wells is better pick than Goddard, Roughead is a better pick than Deledio and I think within the next two years it will be clearly seen that Gumby was a better pick than Gibbs. I also think that Cotchin was a better pick than Kreuzer and Naitanui a better pick than Watts.

I'm not arguing that the number 2 pick has been better every single year. There are definitely instances where the number one pick has out performed the second pick. But as a whole, I think the list of second picks is better.

Out of the players you just mentioned, I think that there is a case to say that Wells is better pick than Goddard, Roughead is a better pick than Deledio and I think within the next two years it will be clearly seen that Gumby was a better pick than Gibbs. I also think that Cotchin was a better pick than Kreuzer and Naitanui a better pick than Watts.

If your ratings are any indication of your fortune telling ability then I know we got it right.

Watts is easily the best talent in the draft. And a year younger than many.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Drafting - 2nd best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back