ozcoltsfan

Senior List
May 4, 2002
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Indy Colts
I have read some news on my team the Dragons which is very upsetting and if its true I hope it never reaches the press
But it looks as if St George have breached the cap, which I find hard to believe considering they are losing players left right and centre
The news I have heard isnt very clear but from what I can gather is that one player is the problem and he is set to be forced to leave the club, and this player is more St George than any other player and is going to cause the club much embarrassment, Mark Gasnier fits the description to me
Also Roy Masters on radio knew that Wests were over the cap before that came to the media, and he is said at the same time an out of Sydney powerhouse is in Bulldogs like breaches
I wonder what will come out this week and I PRAY that what I have found out about the Dragons is not true
If it is true about the Dragons I hope it doesnt come out to until after the team has finished playing for the season

OzColtz..

Yes I did hear there is a little salary cap indiscretion there somewhere.......but nothing like the Bulldogs problem.....just one player involved.....I am sure we wll hear something soon.

Have you tried the rugby league boards on the net, someone will know something.......then you can report back here;) :p with the goss:p

Whilst this scenario is nearly too bad to even consider, I did have my suspicions when I heard that Lee Hookey may be released on top of the other players this season. Combine our losses from the past season and you have a massive loss of players.

Hopefully this is not a result of a last minute scale down of player payments to keep the Dragons under the cap.

Innocent till proven guilty I suppose.

Considering that the Knights and the Broncos players are able to pick up far more work to earn extra money outside of the club (and therefore salary cap) I think the NRL should look at introducing some sort of change to the Salary cap for the Sydney based sides.

The AFL gives Sydney and Brisbane a bit of extra room in the cap for whatever reason and perhaps the Sydney NRL clubs need a higher cap than those one-team-town teams.

Originally posted by Briedis
Considering that the Knights and the Broncos players are able to pick up far more work to earn extra money outside of the club (and therefore salary cap) I think the NRL should look at introducing some sort of change to the Salary cap for the Sydney based sides.

The AFL gives Sydney and Brisbane a bit of extra room in the cap for whatever reason and perhaps the Sydney NRL clubs need a higher cap than those one-team-town teams.

A friend of mine suggested a transfer system similar to that used in European soccer and scrapping the salary cap. This would reward clubs for nurturing juniors and allow clubs to keep good players or receive adequate compensation if they move. No more Gorden Tallis', Scott Prince's, Stuart Kelly's, Michael DeVere's, for Brisbane and no more Ben Kennedy's, David Fairleigh's, Glen Grief's, or Peter Shiels' for the Knights.

The above clubs would still be strong but not as dominant as they have been.

Only problem with the above is that Clubs may still go broke chasing big names. A possible solution would be strict policing of the Corporations Act relating to directors duty to avoid insolvent trading. A director may be personally liable for a company's debt if they incur debts whilst the company is insolvent or if the debt will lead to insolvency.

Maybe the NRL needs to have the directors sign personal guarantees for the club debts to ensure clubs dont go broke. A scaled distribution to clubs might also work. More NRL grants to Clubs lower on the ladder.

Nah, I don't like the idea of no salary cap and open trading. It means that the rich clubs will get all of the good players and the poor clubs get all of their good kids ripped away from them.

In the end we will have a situation where only 3 or 4 clubs can win the premiership every year.

Basically, the players have to stop being so farking greedy. Do you think the Bulldogs would have been making these extra payments if the players didn't demand it? No way.

It amazes me everytime when I read Bulldogs supporters saying that the NRL shouldn't have punished the players, bulldust. The players are 80% to blame. If they weren't so greedy the administrators would not have been breaking the rules to try and keep them at their club.

Don't know you can blame the players all that much, Briedis. I'd like to see player managers more accountable, they are the ones who run around pumping up players prices and and controlling the meat market to the clubs. Players just listen to them and sign the contract without querying them too much.

Wouldn't suprise me if they had a bit of input into some of these 'creative' cap practices.

Originally posted by The Hippie
Don't know you can blame the players all that much, Briedis. I'd like to see player managers more accountable, they are the ones who run around pumping up players prices and and controlling the meat market to the clubs. Players just listen to them and sign the contract without querying them too much.

Wouldn't suprise me if they had a bit of input into some of these 'creative' cap practices.

the players know where they get the money from, its all on their group certificate all the different avenues it gets to them and to try and convince the public that they didnt know money was being handed under the table, and money being paid to their wives/mothers/sister in law would be evading salary cap issues is just pathetic. i am sick of hearing the players say "we just get told by the player manager how much we get and thats it". i dont know any 1st grade footballers well, but i know several cricketers and cyclists and they all know the sources of their income, despite having managers.

your telling me steve waugh doesnt know he's getting money from MRF, as well as the ACB?? kidding, of course players know whats going on. this is one big debarcle of them trying to shift the blame away from themselves. they should be held accountable for their own greed. i just hope the ATO gets involved.

i also heard today (no surprises really) that a bulldog player (trindall) punched a woman in the face last night and was done for drink driving. These footballers have too much money and too much time on their hands, no wonder they are always making headlines for drunken disorderly and substance abuse. they only work 4 days a week as professional footballers for their salaries, and half days at that. whats stopping them from getting some part time work on the side??? laziness and greed.

Originally posted by Briedis
Nah, I don't like the idea of no salary cap and open trading. It means that the rich clubs will get all of the good players and the poor clubs get all of their good kids ripped away from them.

In the end we will have a situation where only 3 or 4 clubs can win the premiership every year.

Basically, the players have to stop being so farking greedy. Do you think the Bulldogs would have been making these extra payments if the players didn't demand it? No way.

It amazes me everytime when I read Bulldogs supporters saying that the NRL shouldn't have punished the players, bulldust. The players are 80% to blame. If they weren't so greedy the administrators would not have been breaking the rules to try and keep them at their club.

I think the balancing factor in my friends suggestion is that rich clubs would have to pay through the nose to get a player transferred from another club.

This would leave poorer clubs with talent in a position to either hold their talent or shore up their finances with a big transfer fee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dragons could be in trouble too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back