Drew Bashing

Remove this Banner Ad

mav-1

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2004
my house
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another player that I just don't understand why he gets torched on here.

He's only played 93 games and has kicked 71 goals for us. The Revolting Cry Baby kicked his 100th goal in is 99th game with a bag of nine. It was only a couple of weeks ago that everyone was having a go at him for his bad kicking. You also have to remember that Drew has spent a lot more time at CHB and in the Ruck when compared to Revolting.

Drew showed us last week what he is capable of, and in no way am I suggesting he is in the same league as Revolting but the kid can play. It's these players that are getting their game tally up over 100 that we can expect to really blossom. If he Drew has his kicking boots on he could tear a games open and I'd for one would love to see this. Dropping now just makes no sense at all.

It was also only the other day how we prayed for someone that could take a contested mark in the forward line. Drew does that for us and for some reason we decided we don't like him:mad:

And before you start talking about putting Rocca at CHF, for :D:D:D:D:D sake, as much as I love Rocca he will be thrashed on the rebound costing us more goals than he can kick over the flood.

I'm a drew fan - he has been filling a role for the club that didn't really suit him over the last few years and now it is his turn to play his rightful position.

Needs kicking practice bigtime but I see him as an important part of the club's future.

mav said:
Another player that I just don't understand why he gets torched on here.

He's only played 93 games and has kicked 71 goals for us. The Revolting Cry Baby kicked his 100th goal in is 99th game with a bag of nine. It was only a couple of weeks ago that everyone was having a go at him for his bad kicking. You also have to remember that Drew has spent a lot more time at CHB and in the Ruck when compared to Revolting.

Drew showed us last week what he is capable of, and in no way am I suggesting he is in the same league as Revolting but the kid can play. It's these players that are getting their game tally up over 100 that we can expect to really blossom. If he Drew has his kicking boots on he could tear a games open and I'd for one would love to see this. Dropping now just makes no sense at all.

It was also only the other day how we prayed for someone that could take a contested mark in the forward line. Drew does that for us and for some reason we decided we don't like him:mad:

And before you start talking about putting Rocca at CHF, for :D:D:D:D:D sake, as much as I love Rocca he will be thrashed on the rebound costing us more goals than he can kick over the flood.
Petrie busts a gut however his ability to take a contested mark is somewhat non existent. OK this could be blamed in part on the game plan as the opportunities to win the contested ball in the air are minimal. As for Petrie playing Centre Half Back I can only recall 2 occasions where he played the majority of the match there. Once on the Lion's Brown and the other on Revolting himself.

Great post.

Works his backside off for us.

Been a lot better in recent weeks, in our best last Saturday and thoroughly deserves his spot in the team.

Zondor said:
Petrie busts a gut however his ability to take a contested mark is somewhat non existent. OK this could be blamed in part on the game plan as the opportunities to win the contested ball in the air are minimal. As for Petrie playing Centre Half Back I can only recall 2 occasions where he played the majority of the match there. Once on the Lion's Brown and the other on Revolting himself.

This is my point, he has shown us he has the ability and he is at the stage now where players often mature. Dropping him is just silly talk.

But when you add his time at CHB with his time in the ruck, his goal average is as good as Revolting, if not better.

mav said:

how about counting those he puts down, especially at critical times ?

how about the goals he misses, or better still the shots on goal that dont even register a dam thing ?

it aint Drew bashing, its reality.

he must show some return - no point working hard for small results.

KangaFett said:

Ill give him credit, you gotta admire him for his effort and 1% and has to be given a go at CHF in conjunction with extra kicking practise.

Give him ago and will see how he goes. Could turn out in kicked 30 odd goals.

If he isn't performing, the issue of trade bait has to be considered

KangaFett said:
how about counting those he puts down, especially at critical times ?

how about the goals he misses, or better still the shots on goal that dont even register a dam thing ?

it aint Drew bashing, its reality.

What I have tried to show you is that his returns aren't that bad. When you compare him the glamor CHF of the comp he's not to far behind. If he gets his kicking sorted he could be a superstar. If you want to have a go at someone that should make less mistakes and give us more return have a go at Tommo. Completely useless unless the ball is put on his chest (and no one in the side can do that at the moment). The only contested marks Tommo has taken were on Zac Dawson, big deal! Tommo make more errors than anyone on our team yet we all think he is fantastic. Just watch him when the ball bounces in front of him, it makes you laugh and cry at the same time!

mav said:
This is my point, he has shown us he has the ability and he is at the stage now where players often mature. Dropping him is just silly talk.
You suggested that Drew Petrie takes contested marks for us. That aint the case mav. OK the guy has ability. He tackles well for a big guy. Constantly chases. Presents well from CHF by constantly leading. As for his ability to take a contested mark. It is somewhat non existent.

mav said:
But when you add his time at CHB with his time in the ruck, his goal average is as good as Revolting, if not better.
I understand that Petrie hasn’t played at CHF as much as Revolting has but to suggest that he has played any considerable time at CHB is a nonsense. Sure he has played in the ruck but not a great deal at CHB. Like I said only 2 matches come to mind when Drew has lined up at CHB. Out of the 93 games he has played this aint many.

mav said:
What I have tried to show you is that his returns aren't that bad. When you compare him the glamor CHF of the comp he's not to far behind. If he gets his kicking sorted he could be a superstar. If you want to have a go at someone that should make less mistakes and give us more return have a go at Tommo. Completely useless unless the ball is put on his chest (and no one in the side can do that at the moment). The only contested marks Tommo has taken were on Zac Dawson, big deal! Tommo make more errors than anyone on our team yet we all think he is fantastic. Just watch him when the ball bounces in front of him, it makes you laugh and cry at the same time!

Yeah but the stats only show so much. Is there a stat for shots on goal that go out of bounds ? shots on goal which drop short ?

and how do you rate errors ? they dont give a weighting to errors during crucial parts of the games.

guys like Pavlich only need the ball half a dozen times and they can hurt you like no business. Revolt can hide his flaws at St Kilda amongst GTrain and Hamill - we cant.

When Drew starts having droppcies, the guys dont want to pass it to him. Revolt keeps getting feed more ball, because there is that confidence that he will come good.

I wish we didnt have to say anything about him, but i rather see him master the craft at VFL level first before being given the reins at senior level.

This thread is laughable.

Dont put Riewoldt and Drew in the same sentence.

Drew is average.

You suggested that Drew Petrie takes contested marks for us. That aint the case mav. OK the guy has ability. He tackles well for a big guy. Constantly chases. Presents well from CHF by constantly leading. As for his ability to take a contested mark. It is somewhat non existent.

Did you not see last week. Plus what he did in 2003 shows that his ability exists.

I understand that Petrie hasn’t played at CHF as much as Revolting has but to suggest that he has played any considerable time at CHB is a nonsense. Sure he has played in the ruck but not a great deal at CHB. Like I said only 2 matches come to mind when Drew has lined up at CHB. Out of the 93 games he has played this aint many

Sorry, I should have put...has spent a lot more time at in the Ruck (plus the odd game at CHB) when compared to Revolting.

you can also add last week to time spent at CHB and there have been several other games he has spent time in the back line but really, nit picking isn't my thing.

F/D said:

Drew is average.

As I said, I'm not saying Drew is in the same class as Revolting, and yes he is average. But the fact he is improving, and last week got back to his contested marking best, he has the ability to be better than average. Thus making him a valuable player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt spent his first two years playing as a utility, usually in the backline, and since he's been moved to the forward line, he's consistently kicked goals. Two career bags of nine - what is Drew's career high? Four. How about this season? He's kicked two goals in total, and one was a questionable ruck infringement against Port. How many goals has Riewoldt kicked this season?

Also, what about mark statistics? Riewoldt presents, presents and presents. He would easily run the most kilometres of any key position player in the game. Drew leads once and stops most of the time. Riewoldt also takes contested marks. Drew doesn't anymore.

Stats can be twisted to suit any comparison, but the only thing these two have in common is blonde hair, height and the ability to hit the post from 20 out straight in front.

mav said:
As I said, I'm not saying Drew is in the same class as Revolting, and yes he is average. But the fact he is improving, and last week got back to his contested marking best, he has the ability to be better than average. Thus making him a valuable player for us.
If Drew is our hope, we are gone.

The goals stats are somewhat misleading as Petrie kicked much more in 2003 than he has last 2 years.

Currently he is behind the goal a game ratio which is the least we expect from a player of his type and position.

However, he is showing clear signs of a form reversal. He is not kicking goals, but anyone watching him this year would see that he was closer to taking contested marks each week, and finally took some last week.

His kicking seems to be extremely confidence driven. He can kick them well, as he has shown with some set shots (eg Adelaide game), but as soon as his first one goes asray, he starts shaking in the knees each time he has a set shot. And the closer they are, the more he is afraid of making a mistake.

I reckon that's fixable. That's where good part time coaches (eg Carey at Collingwood) can do a lot.

KangaFett said:
Yeah but the stats only show so much. Is there a stat for shots on goal that go out of bounds ? shots on goal which drop short ?

and how do you rate errors ? they dont give a weighting to errors during crucial parts of the games.

guys like Pavlich only need the ball half a dozen times and they can hurt you like no business. Revolt can hide his flaws at St Kilda amongst GTrain and Hamill - we cant.

When Drew starts having droppcies, the guys dont want to pass it to him. Revolt keeps getting feed more ball, because there is that confidence that he will come good.

I wish we didnt have to say anything about him, but i rather see him master the craft at VFL level first before being given the reins at senior level.

But Drew didn't have "droppcies" on the weekend. Why drop him now? Let him build on that confidence and maybe, just maybe it will flow through to his kicking.

Sure he might master the craft at VFL level but won't he learn more at the senior level. We keep asking Drew to back the kids and in my book Drew is still a kid. As I said before, it's these players in the bracket of games around 100 that we want to step up. Sending him back to the VFL will do nothing for his progression or for any possible draft option as some are suggesting we do with him.

vlad76 said:
His kicking seems to be extremely confidence driven. He can kick them well, as he has shown with some set shots (eg Adelaide game), but as soon as his first one goes asray, he starts shaking in the knees each time he has a set shot. And the closer they are, the more he is afraid of making a mistake.

That's why I was so annoyed he gave the handball off right in front of goals. If had gone back and kicked that one, who knows!

mav said:
Did you not see last week. Plus what he did in 2003 shows that his ability exists.
Yes I did and I'm well aware that he took 4 contested marks for the match. Not a bad effort in this day of possession footy however can you tell me how many contested marks he has taken for the season? Mate it's 7. Sure he has the ability to take a contested grab but does he have the consistency to keep on taking those contested grabs? You suggest he does. I suggest he doesn't but I'm glad for Drew to prove me wrong. Well if Brainiac decides to play a more contested style of footy then he may very well do so.

mav said:
Sorry, I should have put...has spent a lot more time at in the Ruck (plus the odd game at CHB) when compared to Revolting.

you can also add last week to time spent at CHB and there have been several other games he has spent time in the back line but really, nit picking isn't my thing.
I accept your apology.

mav said:
Sending him back to the VFL will do nothing for his progression or for any possible draft option as some are suggesting we do with him.

but did u see him a few weeks ago for the roosters ? he wasnt even in the top half dozen players.

you have a fair arguement, i wont dodge that :) i just rather see him give us something to hang our hats on tho. he is trying to work in one of the toughest positions on the ground but i rather he practise his kicking etc elsewhere. i dont want to see the situation where he might be in a position to win a game for us and screws it up because NO ONE will forgive him then.

F/D said:

Drew is average.

Well that's what you'd think eh? But that interesting comparison of games played and goals kicked, certainly gets you thinking

*thinks* Mmm.. bout time I knocked off a few bevvies

la roux said:
Well that's what you'd think eh? But that interesting comparison of games played and goals kicked, certainly gets you thinking

*thinks* Mmm.. bout time I knocked off a few bevvies
It got me thinking alright, I thought "Great, another excuse to make Drew look good".

KangaFett said:
but did u see him a few weeks ago for the roosters ? he wasnt even in the top half dozen players.

you have a fair arguement, i wont dodge that :) i just rather see him give us something to hang our hats on tho. he is trying to work in one of the toughest positions on the ground but i rather he practise his kicking etc elsewhere. i dont want to see the situation where he might be in a position to win a game for us and screws it up because NO ONE will forgive him then.
I wonder how much time Drew has spent on his kicking at goal? Has Dean assigned an assistant coach to help him out with his technique? Improvement is possible with practice.

KangaFett said:

mate, if we are in a position to WIN a game I'll be almost happy!

I'm not saying he is going to be another Carey for us, I just thought he has started to really show us something! But yeah, remember that Michael Jordon add. He said something about the reason he made all those game winning baskets was because he also missed so many. You've got have the ball to have a chance!

Remove this Banner Ad

Drew Bashing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back