Drew Bashing

Remove this Banner Ad

Zondor said:
I wonder how much time Drew has spent on his kicking at goal? Has Dean assigned an assistant coach to help him out with his technique? Improvement is possible with practice.

Drew and half a dozen others.

U reckon with a block like Sav around who almost has the perfect action that this sort of problem wouldnt exist amongst the players.

vlad76 said:
The goals stats are somewhat misleading as Petrie kicked much more in 2003 than he has last 2 years.

Currently he is behind the goal a game ratio which is the least we expect from a player of his type and position.

However, he is showing clear signs of a form reversal. He is not kicking goals, but anyone watching him this year would see that he was closer to taking contested marks each week, and finally took some last week.

His kicking seems to be extremely confidence driven. He can kick them well, as he has shown with some set shots (eg Adelaide game), but as soon as his first one goes asray, he starts shaking in the knees each time he has a set shot. And the closer they are, the more he is afraid of making a mistake.

I reckon that's fixable. That's where good part time coaches (eg Carey at Collingwood) can do a lot.

Laidley should give Drew a license to have shots, because it looks like a confidence issue.

As for Carey, look what he has done with Collingwoods forward line worst in 2005 best in 2006 in over 6 months

S.O.S to Carey.

First off, Reiwoldt has kicked 170 goals for his career.

Second, Drew's performance of the past 4 weeks has been vastly different to the performance of 03, 04 or 05;

Third, the 03 performance showed a young player who was bit who could provide a target up across the HF line;

Fourth, the 04/05 performances showed a big guy that had little to no impact on the AFL and should have been playing VFL footy a lot more often.

What does this all mean?

Drew is a solid player who does the 1 %rs well. He should have been dropped numerous times over the past 2 years but has remained in the team for reasons that I can't fathom. His contested marking is very poor and despite his ability to take some marks on the lead, he is virtually ineffectual.

He is playing the best footy since 2003 and therefore, due to a lack of options, I would give him some time, but he is not our answer up forward and he has not been underrated. He has under performaed for all but 1 season but unlike so many has failed to pay for it.

It is up to him where he goes from now because he obviously has Dean's support and while he is doing ok, he should be working as hard as ever. His only concern is if Dean goes, because that layer of protection will see him fighting more than just his own mind in the future.

....as I mentioned in another thread, I think Drew's best role for us is as the roaming ruckmen. He provides a solid contest, but won't win many tap outs. Our players are more than adept at roving to the opposition ruckman.

Drew has also shown to be lacking when he has time to think about his next move. Countless number of times I have been compelled to yell "Don't think Drew, just kick!".....as the promise of another forward move starting with him comes to nought!

well that stuffs my argument, Drew is shyte!! (i'm sure I read he kicked his 100th in his 99th game, oh well!)

Second, Drew's performance of the past 4 weeks has been vastly different to the performance of 03, 04 or 05;

The exact reason we shouldn't drop him now

Fourth, the 04/05 performances showed a big guy that had little to no impact on the AFL and should have been playing VFL footy a lot more often.

We had no one else to put in the ruck. Drew had to play.

From what i saw at Subi, petrie did take some contested marks and played well. He does need some kicking practise at goal but i put that down to him not playing in front of goal for 2 years. He needs to stay at CHF for this year and im sure you will see the results. I had a chat to him at training the day before the game v dorkers and it sounds like he is enjoying his footy again and not stressing about his performance before he has even played. Petrie will be a very good player for us for years to come if we give him the chance to stay at CHF this year he will do well.

I thought Drew played one of his best games for a long time against Freo in terms of reading the play, taking contested marks and moving to position. His wonky kicking let himself and the team down badly however.

In a relatively close and low scoring game, you can not aford to kick 6.13 as a team. He wasn't the only one that was inaccurate, but he has been one of the inaccurate forwards that has had the pressure on them to improve their converting for goal.

That miss from 15m out was just not AFL worthy. I was thinking when he was lining up for it that it was no certainty, and unfortunately, if you have a player that is dubious from 15m out then they still have a lot of issues to address.

I much rather him not be a target and only have 2 shots at goal and kick 1 or 2 goals than to be a target and spraying them everywhere.

His kicking was okay earlier on in the year, it was terrible last week. He just has to do better than that, needs to get his kicking so that outside of difficult angles he is confident in his ability to kick with a 70+% accuracy.

But, the kicking is the easy part. The hard part is getting the ball and I am pretty happy that he has improved in his ability to get the pill.

Moti said:
QUOTE]

Thank god someone in this thread knows what they are talking about.

If you wanna compare Drew with someone go to the following site and compare Drew with Ben Holland. Drew has kicked 2 for the year and his biggest ever bag is 4.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/playerpages.html

Zondor said:
You suggested that Drew Petrie takes contested marks for us. That aint the case mav. OK the guy has ability. He tackles well for a big guy. Constantly chases. Presents well from CHF by constantly leading. As for his ability to take a contested mark. It is somewhat non existent.

That is crap. Drew has taken heaps of contested marks this season, including some excellent ones just last week.

Shagga is all Class said:
Moti said:
QUOTE]

Thank god someone in this thread knows what they are talking about.

If you wanna compare Drew with someone go to the following site and compare Drew with Ben Holland. Drew has kicked 2 for the year and his biggest ever bag is 4.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/playerpages.html

Yeah, the goals need to come from Drew, but I think he is growing in confidence every week and hopefully that will start to impact the scoreboard with some goals from the big fella.

If Drew starts to realise some of that potential we saw in his first couple of seasons, we might just have a player to build the side around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zondor said:

Thanks for the stats. As I said, he took heaps of contested marks last week (4 as it turns out) and seems to be around the average for CHFs in that stat so far this season as well. Only Riewolt an Brown are ahead of him, no shame in that. Still needs to start putting some pressure on the scoreboard as I sai before though. But that should happen as his confidence comes back.

I think some of my favs were those two or three mark in the dying minutes against the Dockers at Manuka a couple of years ago to win us the match. Looks to be getting back to that type of form. Can definately take a contested mark.

Briedis said:
Thanks for the stats. As I said, he took heaps of contested marks last week (4 as it turns out) and seems to be around the average for CHFs in that stat so far this season as well. Only Riewolt an Brown are ahead of him, no shame in that. Still needs to start putting some pressure on the scoreboard as I sai before though. But that should happen as his confidence comes back.

I think some of my favs were those two or three mark in the dying minutes against the Dockers at Manuka a couple of years ago to win us the match. Looks to be getting back to that type of form. Can definately take a contested mark.
He took half of his contested marks last week.

So he took 4 in 7 weeks.

Not good enough.

F/D said:
He took half of his contested marks last week.

So he took 4 in 7 weeks.

Not good enough.

Point was though that he is improving, which is good right? Or do we just bash him anyway when he plays well?

Considering that most teams only average 7 or 8 contested marks per game this season, and he has taken 4 in one game, perhaps we can just give some credit when a guy plays well for a change.

Briedis said:
Point was though that he is improving, which is good right? Or do we just bash him anyway when he plays well?

Considering that most teams only average 7 or 8 contested marks per game this season, and he has taken 4 in one game, perhaps we can just give some credit when a guy plays well for a change.
He is improving, still hasnt played above satisfactory this season though. Do you honestly think he is the answer to solving our problems at CHF?

I just hope we nab a key tall this draft. Plenty on offer who all have more takent than Drew.

F/D said:
He is improving, still hasnt played above satisfactory this season though. Do you honestly think he is the answer to solving our problems at CHF?

I just hope we nab a key tall this draft. Plenty on offer who all have more takent than Drew.

Not sure if he is the answer at CHF, but if he can play as well as he did last week, then he just might be. This is his first opportunity to actually play the role without having to ruck when Hale goes for a spell. I really think that is making a big difference to his ability to focus and play the CHF role.

What my main point was initially was that he was not crap last week and he can take a contested mark and if he does start to perform like he did in 2003 again this season (and last week he showed glimpes that perhaps he can) then yes, we might have a solid player to build a future side around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drew Bashing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back