Driving an elbow into a player who's on the ground - should it get weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

So going the ground and pound is a fine. Okey dokey.
From the side, he looks like is just jumper grabbing on the ground. It goes into his face when he’s pushed from behind by the pack.

A bit of a parallax error from the top down vision in my opinion and I can see why it wasn’t cited for anything but wrestling. I assume he was not hurt.

Just a fine.
Bit angry about this one. He punched Moore in the stomach and the elbowed Watson in the head while he was on the ground.

Just a fine.

Am I alone in thinking this is completely inadequate?

Its a joke. Tackles which do no damage get up to 2 weeks but elbowing someone in the head gets 0 weeks.

The MRO is beyond clueless.

What damage did the wrestle do to Watson? Did he go off the ground to get treatment and he'll miss this week?

As much damage as many tackles which have seen 1 week, and some have seen 2 weeks.

Tackles are a part of the game. Elbowing someone in the back of the head hasnt been a part of the game since the 1970s.

It's the type of thing that should be two weeks as it's an act that nobody wants to see out there but the AFL are so concerned with outcome over action that they'll ignore stuff like that or blatant strikes and target football acts that go wrong.

As much damage as many tackles which have seen 1 week, and some have seen 2 weeks.

Tackles are a part of the game. Elbowing someone in the back of the head hasnt been a part of the game since the 1970s.
If he had of elbowed him in the back of the head then I wouldn't be saying there isn't anything in it.

Hawthorn have some terrible shit stirrers. Fair play I reckon.
10 minutes before this incident Saint Watson tackled Murphy high, took him over the boundary, put him in a headlock, pushed his head into the turf and didn't let him up to take the kick.
Sicily got away with a nice little jab to the back of Rachele's head earlier in the game too.

10 minutes before this incident Saint Watson tackled Murphy high, took him over the boundary, put him in a headlock, pushed his head into the turf and didn't let him up to take the kick.
Sicily got away with a nice little jab to the back of Rachele's head earlier in the game too.
They do a great job at getting under teams’ skin. Wonder if there is a melee per team stat?

So ****ing what? How does that change Michallaneys grubby act?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish the AFL would crack down on these things. It’s just scummy. Sure the low impact ones don’t need 3 weeks, but I’d be happy with 1 week no questions asked no appeal allowed for any high hit to a player on the ground, no matter the force. It’s just weak as piss & it is then a deterrent to the players, allowing the umpires more chance of keeping the match under control.

Remove this Banner Ad

Driving an elbow into a player who's on the ground - should it get weeks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back