DT Nab Cup thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yarran

I got burnt by him in the first few rounds last year when I realised that he won't score well on DT even when he has a good game and kicks a few goals due to lack of TOG. Traded him out after rd 3. He ended up averaging 60 for the year. A move to the half back flank could mean an increase of TOG and possessions. Will watch him closely in the NAB cup to see what role he plays. Could be a bargain mid-pricer for the forwards this year if he can get his average up to around 80. Certainly has the skill and is a good mark for his size. Question marks on whether he can get enough of the ball and run out games playing of half back though. Definitely worth having a look at his pre-season form before writing him off (again) though. If a Carlton player significantly increases his DT average this year, Yarran is the player most likely IMHO.

Yeh for sure. Much better player and thus option than Rioli too who everyone seems to be talking up.

Your thoughts on Yarran's games(s) /role last night?

I'll be picking him as my #7 forward after what I saw of him last night. Played the Gibbs backline general role very well IMHO. Is probably our most skilled player by foot and I can see Carlton using him as an attacking weapon from the back 50 as much as possible. Bargain at 240k. Should see much more TOG this year, don't think the coaching staff can afford to waste his skills sitting on the bench. If he can average 75-80 will almost be a keeper or at least make some money to trade for another premium...

Your thoughts on Yarran's games(s) /role last night?

I'll be picking him as my #7 forward after what I saw of him last night. Played the Gibbs backline general role very well IMHO. Is probably our most skilled player by foot and I can see Carlton using him as an attacking weapon from the back 50 as much as possible. Bargain at 240k. Should see much more TOG this year, don't think the coaching staff can afford to waste his skills sitting on the bench. If he can average 75-80 will almost be a keeper or at least make some money to trade for another premium...

The thing I liked most about the way Yarran played down back last night was that he put a lot of effort in to the defensive side of the role and worked really hard.

He didn't play like a forward stuck in the backline at all. He tackled and made some real hard contests. It was really impressive I thought.

Relevance to DT is that I think this means he holds on to that role and he won't be relying only on his skills to score points. What impact he has as a DT scorer will be interesting to watch.

Duigan looked better than I expected last night, though Krakouer was a bit disappointing - looked a bit slow and didn't get involved much.

What can be taken from Morton's performance? The Tigers were missing Foley, Houli, Grigg, Martin and Cotchin, and even with those out he was mainly forward. It seems more probable that the Tigers will go with Connors and Edwards in the mids rather than Morton. Why would they draft/trade for so many mids and continue playing Morton in the midfield when he's one of their most effective forwards?

Also, I wonder how much the new OOB rule is skewing the scores.

Also, I wonder how much the new OOB rule is skewing the scores.

Was thinking about this last night.

The commentators kept mentioning that a player had given away a free kick by running the ball over the boundary line.

I don't think champion data is calling this act as a free kick against but I wonder if they disregarded calling any out of bounds on the full kicks as a free kick kick against.

I'm pretty sure they counted the holding the ball free kicks and the marking/rucking infringements in the stats.

Brodie Smith looked excellent for the Crows in both games. If he can make it into the first 22 for round one he will be a very good DT get I think. Will be an excellent down grae target if he misses out to start with.

Anyone who didn't have Andy Otten as a lock, will have now. Could be the most popular player in DT this year other than Swann and Goddard.

Hasnt suprised me how little the NAB cup has given us so far. Cant really determing alot with these shorter games and positions being out of place and roles being different to what i think will be usual.

Alot of coaches seem to be trying to get players to play different roles because they are going to need to be constantly resting players through the midfield and not using the bench like last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mzungu looks a lock for forward bench.

Mature aged and can get the ball. Not much more you could ask for.

Could even end up being a very good #7 forward keeper IMHO. (if he gets a lot of TOG could average 75-80) Reckon he will average higher than Knights, Petre or Kraquer, who many have as their #5 #6 & #7 forwards.

Re: Players to watch NAB Cup - Week 2

Nice round up, I would have also mentioned Jamie Cripps and Nick Winmar for St.Kilda but apart from that was a good read

Ryan Gamble looked good last night - got plenty of the ball and kicked goals. Heppell, Hurley and Zaharakis were impressive for the Bombers and Polec looks like a good mid option.

Atleast Jon Gilles has won more hitouts for GWS! He has 7 and Seaby/Currie only have 2/1. And 27 DT points isn't bad!

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Nab Cup thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back