Dud Recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
As we make our way through silly season I would be interested to get the thoughts of readers that have had experiences with dud recruits-big names that dont deliver.This might help some clubs to not waste time with players that have a big opinion of themselves

A bloke by the name of Peter Anderson springs to mind. Rolled into Broadford with a scrap book full of apparent accomplishments, and looked a million bucks on the track, shirt off, hair flowing, but never looked like getting out of first gear when the real stuff commenced. Think he did the same at Mooroopna (even after Braodford warned them) and then went to the DVFL (maybe Nth Heidelberg?) after that.

Peter Anderson strolled into DVFL for Heidelberg when Ryan Smith was there (former West Pre Coach)told one of th West boys who told me about him. Appartnely the Heidelberg boys called him the Wedding Singer because he dressed forthe 80's and had a haircut to match. He moved in with Ryan Smith and was a pig of a man to live, dirty as the pig you know what and never left the couch and had no job. When he did shoot through after about 4 terrible games (he came ther with huge wraps) he left the house short of rent money and a few items had got lost from the other housemates that Anderson had taken with him. After a few not too friendly phone calls the rent and the items were returned. terrible mix up claimed Anderson. Good to see Ando fleeced a few other places hey Doona. Not.

Dwight said:
Peter Anderson strolled into DVFL for Heidelberg when Ryan Smith was there (former West Pre Coach)told one of th West boys who told me about him. Appartnely the Heidelberg boys called him the Wedding Singer because he dressed forthe 80's and had a haircut to match. He moved in with Ryan Smith and was a pig of a man to live, dirty as the pig you know what and never left the couch and had no job. When he did shoot through after about 4 terrible games (he came ther with huge wraps) he left the house short of rent money and a few items had got lost from the other housemates that Anderson had taken with him. After a few not too friendly phone calls the rent and the items were returned. terrible mix up claimed Anderson. Good to see Ando fleeced a few other places hey Doona. Not.

Ando trained at our club while he was off fleecing every club imaginable. Always talked about his exploits and how he used to kick 100 every year. Wouldn't play unless big bucks were involved. His brother played with us for a year and was totally different to big Ando. His brother could actually play.

Last time I saw Ando he was selling door to door in the Heidelberg Area. Good to see he has been a success. Hope he's still got the scrapbooks!!!

There was a local boy from Tongala named Ben Davis. He played juniors with the blues and was just an average player from memory. Went up north for a few years and apparantley won a league medal. Come back two years ago commanding $400 a game. There was a bidding war between Tonny and Kyabram and Kyabram won. the boy stripped to play but was no good. I heard that after the first game a kyabram committee member charged into the selection meeting on thursday night saying there is no way he is playing seniors again because they did not want to shell out the coin. I think he played reserves all year.

Robbie Bromley, apparently played for Port Melb and went to Leopold with a decent price tag. He was gone by round 4.:thumbsdown:

Brent Grgic was a waste of Bell Park's money. Considering his size and the fact he came straight out of the AFL he was pathetic.

Anyone from the Kyabram footy Club want to chip in - a mate from ky tells me the list is a long as your arm - especially ex DVFL taking them for a ride

ringo1 said:
Yeah Ricky Jackson took Seymour for a ride.I sometimes wonder if ex-afl players are worth it although Craig Sholl was terrific for Echuca from what I've heard.

Scholl has been fantastic for Echuca. He still plays in the 2's and helps all the younger guys out. Can still get it whenever he wants. Has a few business interests in Echuca so it has worked both ways. Meant to be a good bloke as well. Would be late 30's now(maybe early40's).

Interesting to read the comments about Peter Anderson - from my dealings with him I will describe him as a mercenary and a liar (could say worse things though!!). He unfortunately is a guy who has a big ego and an overrated opinion in his ability to match.

Turned up at our club promising big things and didnt deliver. When the money was held back due to his lack of performance he was asking for a clearance form to be signed as quickly as possible - we certainly signed it quickly!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KANGAROO Flat got a bloke. supposed to be tuff, called Nicholls or Nicholds back in the late 80s-early 90s.
The Flat was playing Castlemaine this day and they had a real hard man in Dale Williams, who worked underground in the gold mine at Chewton.
Anyway, Nicholls started spouting off and Williams just ran up and went "Crunch". One hit, that's all. Game over.
Nothing more was ever heard of Nicholls -- I don't think he even finished the season out with the Flat.

Jock Clark 2 said:
AS T. Greig wood say, Correction.
The Flat bloke's name was Griffiths, sorry -- not Nicholls.

I remember a few that came with a couple of different coaches we had in the mid 90's that were very ordinary players... A few from Bendigo and a few from Swan Hill... If they weren't with the coach and getting paid they wouldn't have been playing in the ones...

AJ ZUB said:
Robbie Bromley, apparently played for Port Melb and went to Leopold with a decent price tag. He was gone by round 4.:thumbsdown:

After robbing Glenorden for the last 2 years he is now on his way to Queenscliffe.... hope the $$$ are not huge, for their sake!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dud Recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back