Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be interested to see the rational from the tribunal around the Grimes decision, it is an interesting precedent to set now, allowing players to throw themselves to the ground if they are slightly impeded.

Vlaustin is fair enough, should have got off.

This is why the best way to stamp out staging is by addressing it on-field there and then. Charges against staging are way too inconsistent to ever act as a legitimate deterrent.

This is why any player that milks or stages shouldn't be rewarded with a free kick. The umpires should be able to call a review for any staging inside 50 (or that results in a 50 to take the player inside 50) to see if a player attempted to draw the free kick. If they did, then it should be a ball up.

Accuracy is far more important than the flow of the game.

Vlastuin decision was always going to get overturned, ridiculous citation IMO, he clearly receievd contact above the shoulders he wasnt expecting, natural reaction is to flinch.

Grimes one I wasn't sure as I hadn't seen a decent angle, the only footage I saw previous the action was almost out of screen and had another inset shot hiding most of the relevant footage. Tribunal got to see a down the ground shot which was obviously much clearer.

Okay, well I hope our lads are learning to dive in training now, seeing as it's part of our game now and will decide many games going forward. Didn't mind the Vlastuin one, the Grimes one is a travesty, actions like that need to be out of the game, we lost all of our momentum because of that dive and the subsequent call. Don't get me started on the Callan Ward one.

Looks like anything goes now. If there’s a chance you’ll get goals like Richmond/GWS did and not get fined, I can only assume those inclined to try for a dive are going to go all out.

Okay, well I hope our lads are learning to dive in training now, seeing as it's part of our game now and will decide many games going forward. Didn't mind the Vlastuin one, the Grimes one is a travesty, actions like that need to be out of the game, we lost all of our momentum because of that dive and the subsequent call. Don't get me started on the Callan Ward one.

Just get Lloyd down there for a few expert training sessions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back