Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry mate, you stick to the topic. In the three examples, one is tonights game. It’s not about being defensive, it’s about being corrrect. Don’t push a guy in tne back and you don’t give away a free. Like Bellchambers. How dumb was he? Drags a hand head high after a marks been taken/paid. Don’t be mad at the umps. Be mad at the DH’s giving away dumb frees.
So basically you’re saying once a player gets some contact they can do what they want to exacerbate it? Vlaustin got a tap on the arm. Did he really need to go down?

You’ve certainly got some guts starting a thread such as this. You are a monte to cop a fearful public spray from Dimma casting serious aspersions on your masculinity and parenthood. That’s not to speak of the abuse from the precious Tiger posters, who no doubt will trawl back through the archives of all Essendon matches for the past 30 years trying to find evidence of similar incidents involving Bomber players.

I do agree with you though. I vividly remember Grimes collapsing in a heap last season as if Mason Cox had belted him with a sledge hammer. Cox copped a week for the most innocuous and accidental contact. Blokes like Grimes are an absolute blight on the game. I suppose though he’s had some good mentors, with Rance and Reiwoldt leading the way. Lindsay Thomas was an angel compared to Grimes.

And it will continue to happen when the AFL fines them loose change. The AFL really have no balls

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When you put your hands or hand in your opponent’s back and push guess what? It’s in the back. Scoreboard flattered the result. Tigers were a 6 to 8 goal better team tonight.
Yeah but was the force sufficient enough to draw that reaction from Grimes? And don’t say ‘it doesn’t matter, it’s in the back’. Grimes didn’t need to overreact. That’s why people are annoyed.

So basically you’re saying once a player gets some contact they can do what they want to exacerbate it? Vlaustin got a tap on the arm. Did he really need to go down?

If you watch it, he was already on the way down (running back with the fight of the ball to take the mark). What Tom did was dumb. There was no need for the contact at all. Why risk the 50?

Yeah but was the force sufficient enough to draw that reaction from Grimes? And don’t say ‘it doesn’t matter, it’s in the back’. Grimes didn’t need to overreact. That’s why people are annoyed.

In real time, the umpire saw hands in the back and a pushing motion. Again, dumb by Stringer.

In real time, the umpire saw hands in the back and a pushing motion. Again, dumb by Stringer.
I don’t disagree. BUT, is what Grimes did considered in the spirit of the game? Is it right to exacerbate that in order to draw a free? Same with Vlaustin. Sure, he was on his way down but didn’t need to act up. Yes, not sharp from the Bombers players, but the performances of the Richmond players needs to be looked at.

This is Grimes' third blatant dive in the past 12 months.

At what point does the AFL do something about this? All three were beneficial to his team. Why would any player not go for a dive when it can directly lead to a goal? It is only going to get worse, especially when diving is only cited if there the media makes a big deal of it.

Qual final against Brisbane:

Last month:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even cited for this?

Tonight:

Disclaimer: Incoming hate coming for being an Essendon supporter. If it makes you feel better, I know we were almost certainly going to lose tonight for reasons other than the dive.

Considering you are all over social media, I hope you aren't one of the salty fans trolling Grimes & Wards account.
Pathetic from some of you fans. Way to much emotion in the game.

I don’t disagree. BUT, is what Grimes did considered in the spirit of the game? Is it right to exacerbate that in order to draw a free? Same with Vlaustin. Sure, he was on his way down but didn’t need to act up. Yes, not sharp from the Bombers players, but the performances of the Richmond players needs to be looked at.

Okay, so i'll switch it up another way. The guy has played over 150 games, we are discussing something that was paid a free and he did receive contact to the back. There's 2 examples from last year. Is it worth threats and self harm? If Stringer doesn't make contact to the back and push, does the free kick happen?

Considering you are all over social media, I hope you aren't one of the salty fans trolling Grimes & Wards account.
Pathetic from some of you fans. Way to much emotion in the game.
Yeah it is pretty pathetic. Worst part is that it isn't the first time this year.
Death threats and playing with someone's mental health re: suicide suggestions is a disgrace.

Okay, so i'll switch it up another way. The guy has played over 150 games, we are discussing something that was paid a free and he did receive contact to the back. There's 2 examples from last year. Is it worth threats and self harm? If Stringer doesn't make contact to the back and push, does the free kick happen?
You didn’t answer.

You didn’t answer.

He’s played within the rules of the game. If he doesn’t get shoved in the back, there’s no free kick. So yes, it’s in the spirit of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are players expected when shoved off their line or balance when launching for a mark to somehow play it down as much as possible. I really don’t think the onus should be on the player who is getting shoved to make it look like the shove didn’t have any effect on them.
People will be shoving everyone left right and centre.

Vlaustin was being brave and is allowed to be a bit hyper vigilant on that one. Any thing around the head is going to cause a reaction.

Are players expected when shoved off their line or balance when launching for a mark to somehow play it down as much as possible. I really don’t think the onus should be on the player who is getting shoved to make it look like the shove didn’t have any effect on them.
People will be shoving everyone left right and centre.

Vlaustin was being brave and is allowed to be a bit hyper vigilant on that one. Any thing around the head is going to cause a reaction.
Well if it happened at the other end you’d be flying off the handle.

I don’t think a man of the physical structure of Grimes is going to go forward so easily without some acting. I disagree it’s in the spirit.

Do you agree that it was going to be an easy spoil or mark for Grimes? and then why didn’t he take the option of the easy spoil?
Stringer has 3 options .. go for the mark .. block or push . He knows that the they are red hot on the block so he went the push.
If it happened on the wing etc etc.

Well if it happened at the other end you’d be flying off the handle.

4 years ago maybe. Now I’d be angry at our players. Unnecessary contact on Vlaustin.. everyone know the flavour of the year is the down field 50 for late contact..eg Carlton and Freo game.
Stringers was a bit more difficult because Grimes was in the box seat to either spoil or mark and so he rolled the dice and didn’t get away with it.

Ironically, the Lynch gut punch was much worse than what he did to Hurley. 100% chance this doesn't even get reviewed or acknowledged without Lynch's prior history - although they should be taking that into account. The Vlastuin free was a borderline flop, didnt expect him to get anything considering how close it was to his face.

Nevertheless, these fines is the equivalent of a parking ticket to these guys so I doubt they'll care too much.

Last edited:
tHeY pLaY oN tHe EdGe!

Or some sh*t their supporters say.
Not worth listening to. By far the least educated fan base. Know absolutely nothing about footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back