Early Days

Remove this Banner Ad

LastCall

Debutant
Jan 27, 2001
Working on the Penski File
All, I know the loss to the Blues will be seen as early days however, the reports that the back line was once again under pressure due to a lack of height is a real concern.
We fielded a near top strength team, give or take a few, and could not match it with a team that really did have a number of their stars out.
It was good to see a number of fresh faces selected and I'm sure they will be better for the experience.
Good to see Jimmy Plunkett play well as I'm sure he is still popular with the Doggie faithfull.

Height wasnt really the problem in the backline. I thought it was one of the taller line ups we have had for a while. They just seemed lost to me. 3 times Cox fell for the new holding the man rule. Hunter didnt seem to go for marks with any confidence and I think Penny must have been watching old Garry Merrington videos of how to play full back and be a step ladder at the same time.(You older dogs will know what Im talking about) He really was bad, but I like him as a player and understand it was his 1st time at full back. Croft should stay in the back line for mine.cheers.... tgoas

I share some of your concern Last Call.

From what I saw:
On a positive note...
  • McMahon!: Looks VERY promising. Classy, quality evasive skills, smart, fast, and a gun kick! VERY thin, so give him time .... but the talent is there!
  • Eagleton: All of the above.... as usual
    wink.gif
    Hopefully he can play like that consistently.
  • Hunter: Done very well when playing at full back, and cleared well too. Wasn’t staring… but if he can stay fit…. I’m expecting big things from him…., and we can finally have someone taller than 6 foot down back!
  • Fuller:Very impressive! Never seen him before in my life, 2 goals, fast, good crumber..... perfect replacement for Kolyniuk I reckon …. in the forward pocket/ as a goal sneak..... Promote him off the rookie list NOW Terry!
    biggrin.gif
  • Robbins: Looks like he's finally looking the goods after we got him in 97. Never doubted his skills .... just his decision making. Seems to have improved a fair bit.
  • Johnno: 6 goals.
    smile.gif
    Still don't know about the full time thing at FF ... could probably be a 60 goal/year forward if he was left there .... but on todays performance, you could tell our midfield was lacking something.

Worrying signs...
  • We lost..... to Carlton!:F&#%!
    Add to that, as Last Call mentioned, they had all of their guns out, we had an almost full strength team.... inexperienced coach in Brittain... first game as head coach....
  • Jimmy Plunkett: I watched him all day!.... in dismay! If you see the other threads, I was bloody disappointed he wasn’t given more of a go at the doggies. Other than one sprayed shot at an open goal, done very well for 'em, setting up about 3 goals, and doing a good job on Westy ..... Why get rid of him for nothing Terry? Why? I was hoping he would do alright, .... but pissed off that it’s in the blue and the white. Rumour has it he’s in line for promotion to their senior list by season start...
  • Why weren't Murphy and Alvey playing? I would have thought they would have definitely been two players who the team are looking to really step up this year. Hopefully Terry is just hiding 'em from rival's eyes.
    biggrin.gif
  • Disappointed with Dooley. Absolutely torn in defense, and only got a couple of possies. I've seen Dooley at FF while resting for Willi and kick a few bags ... should give that a try i think.... Early days yet though.... I think Penny should be be thrown I the deep end (CHF) in these kind of games....
  • Our defense: Out marked, out played. Penny and Dooley didn't look comfortable, so we'll have to look elsewhere for a miracle cure.... (or make an effort to recruit one!). Crofty was playing forward for a fair while, so hopefully with Ellis and Kretiuk (didn't get much of a run) to come in, it will improve.

I agree with you both Last Call and Westy Boy, but don't forget that we were missing a VERY important player in Nathan Brown, plus Trent Bartlett and Craig Ellis who not only provide height but experience. Talking about experience I think we really missed Steve Kretiuk who might not be the best player in the league but does his job pretty well every week.
But wasn't BJ just the best? He is fearless in backing into packs and always gives 110% and would give more if he could I'm sure.
BTW I think Mark Alvey was on the injured list wasn't he?
AND hopefully Patrick Bowden will prove to be the answer to our Full-forward needs which will allow Brad to move further up the ground where he does his best work.

Carob6 aka Larry6

I think it is too early to start worrying about the teams performance. It was the first game for the year..you have to expect the players to be a little rusty. Just look at Essendon. We were the only team to beat them last year, yet Port Adelaide beat them easily, a team that finished 14th on the ladder last year.

I agree with u all about the defense though - it was shocking and so was our midfield. The way we played for at least half the game i can't believe we only lost by 14 points...if it wasn't for Johnno...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
www.geocities.com/isdogisgood/index.html

One thing I found frustrating on sat was Wallaces lack of faith in Wiggins. With the forward line getting thrashed ( bar johnno) Wiggins was given 5 mins ground time just before 1/2 time. After missing a shot for goal he started the 3rd Q back on the bench while Croft was moved to the forward line ,leaving the back line looking feeble.
Same can be said for Robbins. I think this guy has what it takes and all he needs now is ground time. Like westyboy says his decision making needs to improve and this will happen when he spends more time on the ground. i thought he was very good after 1/2 time when given a chance.

Our defense needs someone to lead it.

I think Grant should go back there.

He has played there before and done an excellent job.

DTR..

I was quite disappointed by the way the Dogs played on Saturday, but then after seeing the way the so called unbeatable bombers played that night, i realise there is nothing to worry about. I still think we'll make the top 4.

Some of the players were put in different positions like Penny and Dooley in the backline. There were a lot of promising signs like Johnno kicking 6 at full forward, and good performances by players like Robbins, Eagleton, Harrison, Dimma, McMahon etc.

GO DOGS!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
aka HahnPremium37
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/isdogisgood" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.geocities.com/isdogisgood
</A>

I'm not worried that we lost (we could have lost by alot more) as it's only the Ansett Cup. Although, some people may feel it sets the stage for the Premiership season, I feel that it gives coaches a chance to explore new players and new positions (lol sounds sus)Anyway, thats just my view!!!
cool.gif

While I am posting on our doggie board any feedback as to the 31st of March for a proposed get-together???

C'mon doggies for Season 2001. I have faith in you!! Together We Win and all that sorta stuff!!!

~teddy3~ aka Billboard gal!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Westy Boy - I know Alvey has a leg problem and Murphy was not right either.

Agree somewhat with Plunkett. My only critism with Wallace is that he doesn't give the new blood enough time to settle - its as though he doesn't trust them. The reason we have so many of them of them now is because we didn't invest in any youth from 97-99 except Browny. Were you that impressed with McMahon ? He looked OK but overawed and I think he needs a lot of time -but thats what the Ansett Cup is for.

Looks like we wont make the semis now so let the kids have a run - please !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back