Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.CREDIT: STEPHEN KIPRILLIS

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Bunk maybe you can refresh my memory. Was any mention made of how Mishka the puppy got out? I know the neighbours found her in the street running around. So assume she was let out when the murderer entered the back yard?

No don’t recall hearing about it.

Thinking the back gate was open, that’s how the two men got in that left the note.

I listened to this excellent podcast and one of the girls who was living next door - Ilona Stevens, said that after a few days they became concerned when the baby Gregory was whimpering behind the walls. If they could hear that, why couldn't any of the three people in the house next door with connecting walls hear anything of the murder on that night? Also Gladys Coventry who lived next door alleges that she saw Susan Bartlett having drinks with a tall dark man in the early hours of the morning when it was thought the murder occurred.

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Good news.

We have been waiting too long for answers on this one.

This 65 year old must have only been around 18yo at the time of the murders. It will be interesting to find out his history and if he has a record.
Was stopped around the time of the murders in possesion of a knife but as the bodies hadn't been discovered yet was let go.
Re-investigation they looked at him and asked for DNA sample.
They got the DNA sample from a relo as he had fled and it matched.
They have been waiting a long time for him to leave Greece to nab him.
So Vic Pol have been sitting on this info for years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was stopped around the time of the murders in possesion of a knife but as the bodies hadn't been discovered yet was let go.
Re-investigation they looked at him and asked for DNA sample.
They got the DNA sample from a relo as he had fled and it matched.
They have been waiting a long time for him to leave Greece to nab him.
So Vic Pol have been sitting on this info for years!
Who would’ve thought it was the guy wandering the streets at the time with a knife

Who would’ve thought it was the guy wandering the streets at the time with a knife
Back in those days there was gang culture especially in the inner city. Collingwood and Fitzroy mean streets were nothing to be laughed at, so to me no suprise he was carrying a knife.

Bc he would have been around 18 as Kurve has pointed out, he was probably aware of the gangs or part of them.
Who knows. Could have been an opportunistic rapist or a burglar.

I am very greatful that he is still alive to be prosecuted and that the families will know what happened finally.

Is there no extradition treaty with Greece? Or did they just not know his exact whereabouts?
Greece has a statute of limitations of 7 years (since the crime was committed) therefore no extradition possible.

you bewdy,dual greek and australian citizen,wonder if he was connected with the father of the boy gregory,big coincidence if not

How were they monitoring his movement? Greece and Italy are both in the Schengen zone, can’t you basically hop back and forth and not even own a passport?

Back in those days there was gang culture especially in the inner city. Collingwood and Fitzroy mean streets were nothing to be laughed at, so to me no suprise he was carrying a knife.

Bc he would have been around 18 as Kurve has pointed out, he was probably aware of the gangs or part of them.
Who knows. Could have been an opportunistic rapist or a burglar.

I am very greatful that he is still alive to be prosecuted and that the families will know what happened finally.
Yeah. It was prime Sharpie era when these murders occurred. Lots of them from the inner north like Collingwood all the way out to Epping. Most of them were harmless, but lots of knife violence

Confirms my opinion of True Crime books, newspaper and magazine articles, documentaries and podcasts.

VicPol have been sitting on this knowledge of years waiting for him to go to a country with an extradition treaty.

No leaks to said True Crime authors

The suspect has been in the sights for probably far longer prior to his identity being confirmed

Again, no leaks

No leaks of DNA matches

If he goes down on this, I wonder if any of the said authors are going to apologise to the families of they besmirched and to the readers, watchers or listeners who consumed their products.

Confirms my opinion of True Crime books, newspaper and magazine articles, documentaries and podcasts.

VicPol have been sitting on this knowledge of years waiting for him to go to a country with an extradition treaty.

No leaks to said True Crime authors

The suspect has been in the sights for probably far longer prior to his identity being confirmed

Again, no leaks

No leaks of DNA matches

If he goes down on this, I wonder if any of the said authors are going to apologise to the families of they besmirched and to the readers, watchers or listeners who consumed their products.

It's true though that when we see cold cases revived through the press and with podcasts, as Casefile did, it sometimes isn't long before an arrest is made.

Even if the suspect is nobody we've heard of before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back