Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.CREDIT: STEPHEN KIPRILLIS

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

So Iddles was the constable who stopped the suspect weeks after the murder and found a knife in the boot with bloodstains on it. Suspect said he found the knife at Vic street station. Iddles handed it to detectives but never heard back from them. Assume he didn’t follow up either. Starting to sound like come shoddy police work at the time.

Unfortunately almost all of these notorious long-term cold cases involve some very poor investigation up front that lets the lucky perp slip away.

What his intentions were in going there in the first place, who knows. Doubt it was burglary as both victims were home and one at least would be able to identify him.

Was it because he thought he might be able to seduce Bartlett, but she knocked him back and it led to him going psycho, killing her and then raping and killing Armstrong?

He left a shoe print on Barlett's sheets iirc, so it was thought he got in through her bedroom window. I don't know why he would do that if the front and back doors were left open?

But that might better explain if Bartlett was his target, she rebuffed him and told him to get out heading to shove him out the front door, then he's lost it in the hallway.

Armstrong can't get out of her bedroom door and past them? The hallways in those little houses are so narrow.

But nobody appeared to hear any screaming which is weird.

I wonder whether more than one perpetrator was involved
it was stated that whoever did this was very strong,somehow a 17yo kid doesnt fit that,so i reckon there is a darn good chance another was involved

wanted to answer 2 messages here but the thing is fn stupid,add to multi quote then nothing?????where the hell to go from there?anyway will answer the other below

They surmised that Armstrong was alone when she was attacked and r*ped. Bartlett came home shortly after and was chased down the corridor as she tried to escape.
they were both home watching the sullivans with the brother and sister in law(or his gf)of one of them,i dont think bartlett left in the short time between the visitors leaving and the murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back