Updated Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

EaseyStGregory.png

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the whole calmly washing up part astounding with a small house with a shared wall. Must have been a huge amount of noise. Probably only dumb luck that maybe the people on one side were out and the old lady accross the lane might not have had great hearing.

For all the perpetrator would know the police could have been called and on their way after the noise or neighbours could have come to check.

The cops had tunnel vision, apparently homicide was convinced Grant the crime reporter was responsible.

Given Grant had an association with Julie Garciacelay who disappeared in 1975, presumed murdered, they probably thought it was too much of a coincidence that now they had two murdered women and he was staying over in the house next door when it happened.
Yes, much like the early William Tyrrell investigation.

As an FYI I think prosecuting this today would be just as difficult

DNA - yeah ok I had sex with her but I left her alive

Knife - I said I found it and I have an alibi

Alibi - I stretched the truth and said I was with my mates longer because I didnt want them to know I was with the chick

Alibi witnesses - If they recant the question is why not anytime in the last 47 years why you didnt come forward. Are they alive to recant?

This is not a slam dunk - unless there is stuff we are not aware of

Not a slam dunk

But possibly a strong case

His DNA at the scene means he was there.

If they can confirm it was the murder weapon he was found with, then…

Reasonable doubt may be difficult to establish.

Last edited:

I find it intriguing a 17 year old still attending school can buy a car, let alone also be pulled over obviously without a drivers license to be searched for drugs and have a bloodied knife found without being considered a high suspect, regardless of an unproven alibi.

So do I.

All I was trying to say was that back in the 70s lots of kids could drive before they were 18 and some did and got away with it. Also that it was possible you could have a car before you turned 18, my brother bought a car before he got his licence as he had a part time job while at school and old crappy cars were cheap (No, he didn't drive unlicensed).

I had the impression this guy was not the academic type so I am more surprised that he's still at school at 17. Again, back in those days a lot of kids left school at 15 if they weren't planning to go to university.

You need to read the facts which you obviously have not. If you're in possession of a knife with blood on it that you claimed to have found by looking over a bridge in the darkness of night you are suspicious straight away. These 'police techniques' are why it became a cold case.

The police were suspicious. He was questioned "exhaustively". He had what appeared to be an airtight alibi for where he was at the time of the crime and an explanation that appeared reasonable about how he came across the knife, both of which apparently stood up under intense questioning. So police focused on other lines of enquiry.

For whatever reason (no-one's denying that a lot of gaps need to be filled with what happened and why during the investigation), the police were primarily focused on the people that they could confirm had been in the house around the time of the murders or after. That's fair enough to me on face value. You can't put round the clock surveillance on every young punk who has a knife in his car a fortnight after a crime has been committed in the area. Given the sexual element of the crime, there are a lot of question marks for me about how a youth with the background of Karoumblis (that we know at this stage) was capable of it and how he apparently hasn't done anything even remotely on that level ever since.

But naturally, it's going to be interesting to find out more about PK's answers in the original interview and if/how he's remained on the radar of the investigators since then.

I find the whole calmly washing up part astounding with a small house with a shared wall. Must have been a huge amount of noise. Probably only dumb luck that maybe the people on one side were out and the old lady accross the lane might not have had great hearing.

For all the perpetrator would know the police could have been called and on their way after the noise or neighbours could have come to check.

Yes that's remarkable to me too. Like, a teenager (or more than one) breaks into a house to commit a burglary and is surprised/frightened by the occupants of the house being there, so they snap and kill them to evade capture... a horrendous crime, sure, but not like we haven't read similar stories dozens of times before. But for the offender to take the time (presumably in an unfamiliar house) to sexually assault one of the victims and to wash up afterwards in such a densely-populated area... that seems extremely weird to me, especially considering the arrested man appears to have lived a relatively quiet life ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Updated Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back