Eastern Conference - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

At a venue where more experienced and better equipped Qbn teams have struggled the Tigers produced a pretty solid performance to run out 20-3 to 14-9 winners.

As a spectacle it was much better than last seasons 17 man flood effort, this was more open which made for some attractive football.

Tuggers threatened on occasions but they could never close the gap to any dangerous amounts.

Best for Tigers was Cook who excited across half back, Quade was strong in the air, Stevens showed poise and class, Fruend and Campbell, were dangerous up forward, Heaslip is just an dead set goer and a new player Bull has all the qualities to be a game breaker.

For Tuggers their best was clearly Smith across half back, Pocock did well to kick 4, Masters tried hard as did Lamb and Cleaver got better as the game got longer but too much left to too few.

On the whole the Tigers were physically to big and strong for the plucky hawks but they have added pace to their list was was a weapon they have not had in the past.

Good game of football and the better team on the day prevailed.

At a venue where more experienced and better equipped Qbn teams have struggled the Tigers produced a pretty solid performance to run out 20-3 to 14-9 winners.

As a spectacle it was much better than last seasons 17 man flood effort, this was more open which made for some attractive football.

Tuggers threatened on occasions but they could never close the gap to any dangerous amounts.

Best for Tigers was Cook who excited across half back, Quade was strong in the air, Stevens showed poise and class, Fruend and Campbell, were dangerous up forward, Heaslip is just an dead set goer and a new player Bull has all the qualities to be a game breaker.

For Tuggers their best was clearly Smith across half back, Pocock did well to kick 4, Masters tried hard as did Lamb and Cleaver got better as the game got longer but too much left to too few.

On the whole the Tigers were physically to big and strong for the plucky hawks but they have added pace to their list was was a weapon they have not had in the past.

Good game of football and the better team on the day prevailed.

Hey ABH - how are the Tiger players fairing in respect to last year? With the loss of some senior and older players, the list is now fairly young. What do you think? Are the guys stepping up or will they struggle with inconsistency that comes from lack of real senior experience?

Hey ABH - how are the Tiger players fairing in respect to last year? With the loss of some senior and older players, the list is now fairly young. What do you think? Are the guys stepping up or will they struggle with inconsistency that comes from lack of real senior experience?

Yeh F85 TBH I think the Tigers will be up and down due to many players still learning their craft.

As for a comparison thats difficult, they definitely have more leg speed which helped them yesterday and are not as predictable in their play.

They are learning and their will be tough times along the journey but I think are on the right track.

The pleasing thing with yesterday is that Kav did not play and Mitchy Daniher was down on his usual output and to come away with a good win against a side that is always tough at Artic Park was a credit to the playing group.

However at this stage it does look like a gap has opened with Sydney and GWS clearly the best 2 sides, followed by Ainslie and then another gap to Qbn.

Not sure what is going on with Eastlake and it is a surprise at how badly Belconnen have travelled thus far.

Tuggers are on the right track and full credit to Gormo and crew.

Yeh F85 TBH I think the Tigers will be up and down due to many players still learning their craft.

Not trying to sound like i'm baiting you or being stupid, but how is this different to the last 5 or 6 years? I think i hear a different excuse every year as to why Queanbeyan are up and down that season. I'm not having a go at you ABH, you're probably right about the younger players being inconsistent, but every year over the last 5 or so, the tigers are up and down.

And this is from someone who supports them!

Not trying to sound like i'm baiting you or being stupid, but how is this different to the last 5 or 6 years? I think i hear a different excuse every year as to why Queanbeyan are up and down that season. I'm not having a go at you ABH, you're probably right about the younger players being inconsistent, but every year over the last 5 or so, the tigers are up and down.

And this is from someone who supports them!

I think in previous years the Tigers had to many players getting a game without really having to earn their spot. Their is more depth this season and it along with the coach's mentality will mean that if your not performing you will be dropped hence guys like Slater, Mackie, Manie and Brooker in the ressies against Tuggers.

The message seems clear.

I think in previous years the Tigers had to many players getting a game without really having to earn their spot. Their is more depth this season and it along with the coach's mentality will mean that if your not performing you will be dropped hence guys like Slater, Mackie, Manie and Brooker in the ressies against Tuggers.

The message seems clear.

i am not sure but are you trying again to have a go at your ex coach? you have done this a few times now ABH where you have questioned the position or direction of the ex coach. is there something in what you are saying?

The message seems clear.

Yeah I've been around Queanbeyan for about 20 years now and that seems like a fair comment. I know there was a few guys who got a spot on name alone, although they did star in games at times so it was hard to argue, although that lead to them being inconsistent.

I have heard good things about O'Reilly. It's nice to see him back and taking the club forward. I knew him way back when (although he probably wouldn't recognise me) and thought he was pretty good back then.

Hopefully I'll get to see more tigers games this year!

i am not sure but are you trying again to have a go at your ex coach? you have done this a few times now ABH where you have questioned the position or direction of the ex coach. is there something in what you are saying?

Not at all. In Mervs defence I dont think he had the depth in talent in his list. Easy to drop blokes when you have first graders as replacements. I dont believe Merv had that luxury.

But keep fishing away.

Any reports out of Newcastle, Ainslie seem to have (by the scoreboard) put on a fair show, considering the average against the Swans has been below 40 points? I think I'll pencil in the next Tricolours vs Tiges clash for a looksee.

Any reports out of Newcastle, Ainslie seem to have (by the scoreboard) put on a fair show, considering the average against the Swans has been below 40 points? I think I'll pencil in the next Tricolours vs Tiges clash for a looksee.

Was very one sided after half time when they clashed at Ainslie mate.

Not at all. In Mervs defence I dont think he had the depth in talent in his list. Easy to drop blokes when you have first graders as replacements. I dont believe Merv had that luxury.

But keep fishing away.

I am not fishing ABH i am asking a question, for which you had alluded in your previous posts.

I am not sure your last comments stack up when Tigers were winning reserve grade premierships all accross the decade that Merv coached. i think that would indicate that you had better depth then any other team during the period. therefore why is this year any different from years gone by?

The swans v ainslie game in Newcastle was fairly one sided too. Ainslie did well to win the last quarter by a couple of goals, but the swans were far too good. Looks like they are almost a certainty for the minor premiership, but if last year is anything to go by they might start to struggle if their first grade side get some injuries. The situation with the top-ups at the moment is that the swans academy players are playing each week and they are fairly good players. This sort of defeats the purpose of the rule that was implemented to stop the swans from dominating so much. Teams aren't able to compete with a team full of players who train full time plus the academy kids. Dont get me wrong, I think the swans are good for the competition but it isn't really competitive at the moment - they even beat GWS and gold coast by 60 and 100 respectively. The northern conference looks like it's much more evenly balanced.

The situation with the top-ups at the moment is that the swans academy players are playing each week and they are fairly good players. This sort of defeats the purpose of the rule that was implemented to stop the swans from dominating so much. Teams aren't able to compete with a team full of players who train full time plus the academy kids. Dont get me wrong, I think the swans are good for the competition but it isn't really competitive at the moment

Absolutely spot-on, that is the same every week, the Swans have been able to say their Academy players are top-ups, what nonsense, they're as competitive and probably better drilled than any part-time player from Canberra/Queanbeyan. Again, it seems the Swans and the League (and maybe GWS) seem to think that local Clubs are here to help the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not fishing ABH i am asking a question, for which you had alluded in your previous posts.

I am not sure your last comments stack up when Tigers were winning reserve grade premierships all accross the decade that Merv coached. i think that would indicate that you had better depth then any other team during the period. therefore why is this year any different from years gone by?

Tigers from memory won 3 reserve premierships (07, 09, 10) during Merv's reign and a good reserve side does not equate to good first grade depth or a great reserve player a great first grader.

Comparing reserves sides to first grade is chalk and cheese.

A first grade side IMO is only as good as its bottom 6 players and I believe that this seasons side has a better bottom 6 than in previous years.

For me the gulf between Mervs top 10 - 15 players and his bottom 6 was very large. I dont believe the gap is as great with this current squad.

I can say that from experience in 07, Belconnen had by far the best list in the reserves competition but for one reason or another they choked in both finals particularly the Preliminary against Tuggeranong (another team who usually have good reserves sides and we know they have struggled at the top level)

I seem to remember when your club were struggling at the top level (late 90's early 2000's) your reserves were winning premierships and that did not translate into first grade success.

Lets also look at 2 great reserves players from your club. Andrew Wainright (apologies for spelling) and the big fella who kicked mountains of goals in Read. Great reserve players who never reached the same level at first or anywhere near it for that matter. Gap was far to great.

The gap is extremely wide between first grade and reserves and it will only get wider with the new competition format IMO.

So please in the future don't for one second think or suggest that I am having a go at Mark Armstrong. For me it was a pleasure playing in the same era as him either as team mates or having him as my coach and you will never hear a bad word come from my mouth about him....I love the guy!

Just doing some research for tomorrows commentating and was totally shocked to see that only 4 players in the entire competition have reached double figures in the goalkicking after 6 rounds.

Trent Dennis Lane - 25
Kavanagh - 22
Pocock - 15
Hughes - 14

Anyone care to give possible reasons for it?

I'm not known for making antagonistic or outrageous posts - I'm usually the peacemaker or the "voice of reason" so to speak, but today I'm going out on a limb to state here on Big Footy for all to read that the Queanbeyan Tigers must be the benchmark for AFL football in Canberra. Why else would another club send someone along to film last night's training session??? I hope the other club learns a great deal from how we do our warm-ups. The camera person left not long after being asked what they were doing filming the session. I assume they would have stayed for the whole session if they had not been uncovered. Back to stakeout school to learn how not to be spotted when sitting in the front seat with a video camera.

Not 100% sure, so can't really say.

You probably only have a choice of 3.

Given you played Tuggers on the weekend that would leave Belco, Eastlake and Ainslie.

You have played Belco twice already so cant see what extra information they would need.

Cant see Ainslie going down that path seeing as they gave us a pasting out their and we have not played Eastlake as yet so they could be a serious candidate.

Skiing season is open and Belconnen is back!!!!!! Queanbeyan were embarrassed by a classier outfit and are hardly the benchmark. It was probably cooma filming the training session!!!

Skiing season is open and Belconnen is back!!!!!! Queanbeyan were embarrassed by a classier outfit and are hardly the benchmark. It was probably cooma filming the training session!!!
Fantastic self pwnage. Last post in this thread was in February. Where were you for the first 9 rounds of Belco bending over? ABH might come across as a **** but at least he is here rain hail or shine. I expect CODOLA to be one here within a few hours as well. Camporeale's the lot of you.

Absolutely spot-on, that is the same every week, the Swans have been able to say their Academy players are top-ups, what nonsense, they're as competitive and probably better drilled than any part-time player from Canberra/Queanbeyan. Again, it seems the Swans and the League (and maybe GWS) seem to think that local Clubs are here to help the Swans.

With all due respect, the Swans are being pretty damn accomodating allowing their player game time and numbers to be restricted as they are. It limits what our coaches can do, and hurts our player development.

The NEAFL benefits from the Swans' (and Giant's) presence, the players get to play against some of the elite players of the code, and we're allowing special and highly inconvenient limitations to be imposed upon us, so I wouldn't complain if I were you. The set-up benefits everybody, which is why it still exists.

An embarrassing loss yesterday against the bottom of the table previously winless Belconnen side by the Tigers.

In a game that was not pleasing on the eye due to skill errors all over the park it looked very much like the bottom side (Belconnen) playing a team that played as if they were bottom (Qbn).

Tigers got out of the blocks early but to Belco's credit they fought back and took a first term lead. This was the first warning shot for the Tigers.

Mid way through the 3rd and Qbn held a 23 point lead but Belco kicked the next 6 of the match, 3 either side of the break to take a lead that would not be overtaken. The Tigers never learned from the first warning shot mentioned above.

Tiger were extremely disappointing in 2 areas...dropped of to many tackles in fact only 8 players had 2 or more and an amazing 8 players never laid any at all. The other was there skill errors, the stat sheet only claimed 14 but I think that was very kind. They missed the body by hand and foot on a regular basis.

Best for Tigers were Dickinson who tried all day, Stevens showed a touch of class, Kirkwood won the ball well but needs to get more from his disposals, Quade battled valiantly and Sam Daniel also played well. Unfortunately most of the senior players had days they might like to forget but Rod O'Rielly probably wont let them.

Credit to Belco as they could have thrown in the towel and showed enough character to get over the line. I was impressed with the class of Harper, he and Stevens were head and shoulders above the rest for being clean with the football. Another who I had not seen before was Hodder, I liked the look of him around the footy and Dess gave them a strong target up forward.

Bennett led by example and York was strong down back when needed late on.

So it finishes 2-1 to Qbn on the season but you feel both clubs have plenty to do to get back to past glories.

Anyone out North able to confirm or squash the rumour that Horne may be about to leave Belconnen to go out to Wagga.

Don't know how reliable the rumour is or what Horne would be doing out that way (i'd guess that it would be with the Swans in a regional development role) but maybe someone has heard similar??

Remove this Banner Ad

Eastern Conference - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back