jarmanagic

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
That was truly awful TV. Each telling the other how great they were, how they admired each other, how great an idea the Footy Show was etc. why would the producer allow it? what was the point?

Narcissism like Ive never seen before

Clearly Eddie has run out of ideas for his show that is no chance to be back in 2013 and has been as abject a failure as any Fox Footy show ever, including that show with Frawley/Harvey/Hawkins wives that was more relevant than the tripe EMT serves up

EMT has been a fantastic show this year, not sure why your still watching it if it's been such a failure. However I do agree it lost its way tonight. Big noting themselves for the whole show and the interviews had no structure as they flew from one topic to the next. Hopefully the Olympics meant they were under-prepared and this was just a filler. I'm sure it'll be better next week.

That was truly awful TV. Each telling the other how great they were, how they admired each other, how great an idea the Footy Show was etc. why would the producer allow it? what was the point?

Clearly Eddie has run out of ideas for his show that is no chance to be back in 2013 and has been as abject a failure as any Fox Footy show ever, including that show with Frawley/Harvey/Hawkins wives that was more relevant than the tripe EMT serves up

It's like that nearly every week. EMT = Eddie's Mates Tonight

EMT has been a fantastic show this year, not sure why your still watching it if it's been such a failure. However I do agree it lost its way tonight. Big noting themselves for the whole show and the interviews had no structure as they flew from one topic to the next. Hopefully the Olympics meant they were under-prepared and this was just a filler. I'm sure it'll be better next week.

Pro-tip - Try watching whilst pretending he's not the president of your club.:rolleyes:

It's like that nearly every week. EMT = Eddie's Mates Tonight

Pro-tip - Try watching whilst pretending he's not the president of your club.:rolleyes:
Unlike you mate, I make objective judgements based on quality of content not whether or not I like the host. There have been many great guests throughout the year and you're mistaken if you think it's only enjoyed by Collingwood supporters. I am more than happy to criticise the show when it dishes up rubbish like tonight.

Unlike you mate, I make objective judgements based on quality of content not whether or not I like the host. There have been many great guests throughout the year and you're mistaken if you think it's only enjoyed by Collingwood supporters. I am more than happy to criticise the show when it dishes up rubbish like tonight.
Unlike you obviously I can spot contrived, self-serving, grandstanding rubbish and false modesty when I see it. If you think last night's show was a first for that then it's time to upgrade to a colour television as you clearly are still watching everything in black and white.

Didn't say it was a first, possible it wasn't given I haven't seen every episode. But to deny the good stuff he has done is incredibly narrow-minded. I bet you don't have a problem with Open Mike though. Before The Game has a strong Carlton element and yet it is one of my favourite shows. I also enjoy watching Eagle Vision and The Hangar. Life is much more enjoyable when you put prejudice aside.

Even though I'm a Collingwood supporter and acknowledge that Eddie has been good for the club, I am no fan of Eddie. His being a successful Collingwood President causes me significant cognitive dissonance. And I am certainly no fan of the rude, offensive Sam Newman. Also, Jarman, I concede your points about narcissism (probably better described as a mutual wank). However, having said all that, I actually enjoyed watching the conversation. It provided some broader insight into Sam by showing another, more caring side to him.

I must admit to cringing when they showed the footage of Sam taking off Nicky Winmar. I guess it was aired to provide background to the explanation that followed but I think it would be best left in the past.

Pretty obvious the real guest pulled out. I am usually sensitive to narcissism but I did not think it was that bad

Eddie is good at lots of things but the reason this show is so bad is because he is a terrible interviewer. Everything has to be put in an "Eddie timeline" ie when talking about an event it becomes "I remember that because I was a cadet with the HS etc"

Tony Charlton on OM was asked about the secret of a good interview and said something like shut up and let the guest speak. Good advice

The only way Eddie can interview someone successfully is if he interviews himself. Which judging by last night is likely to be next weeks show

Pretty sure this was recorded before Ed went to the Olympics. Yes it was filler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't stand EMT. Takes Eddie 2 minutes to ask each question because he has to editorialise and give his own own thoughts before he kindly allows the interviewee to speak for about 4 seconds.

The show is a monument to his own massive ego and nothing more. Unwatchable.

EMT has been a fantastic show this year, not sure why your still watching it if it's been such a failure.

If I were a Collingwood supporter I would most likely agree. I mean I would watch it if it was Jeff Kennet, but no one outside Hawthorn would.

Average show at its best, and it isn't even that most of the time.

Boring, crap show. Who's on next week some stupid NASCAR driver that nobody cares about? I still remember when Riewoldt went on and Eddie asked him the same question four times in a row.

Enough of Eddie already. Keep him commentating though, don't mind him calling games.

I avoid anything Maguire hosts. When I saw the ad for this (yeah, couldn't find the remote) I imagined exactly what most in here have described. Was always going to be painful so why would you turn it on?

I only saw part of it, but it couldn't possibly have been worse than the Ben Johnson interview. I don't watch it all the time, but the ones I've seen have been a mixed bag Andrew Lovett was good, so were Neil Roberts/Lindsay Fox. Stokes was ok, but seemed like a bit of an odd person to put on the show (I imagine most neutrals would name well over a dozen GFC players they would have liked to see interviewed, ahead of Stokes). When it's bad, as others have mentioned, it's way too circle jerky. The Wade/Howe one was another example of this.

It's ridiculous to even put Eddie in the same sentence as Sheahan, when it comes to interviewers. Whatever else you think about Sheahan, he is masterful as an interviewer.

It's ridiculous to even put Eddie in the same sentence as Sheahan, when it comes to interviewers. Whatever else you think about Sheahan, he is masterful as an interviewer.

Agreed. I reckon he is a fairly ordinary journalist, but Open Mike is a pretty good interview show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie McGuire tonight with Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back