EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I have watched Roxy play against Craigieburn,West coburg & the second half of this weeks game . So l haven’t seen them win a game yet . When the heat is on they don’t like to put their head over the ball(even their coach was telling them this at 3/4 time) the on ballers only go one way .they get in the way of their forwards . the forwards have no room to lead & you would not want to play as a back men because the on ballers do not help out . I don’t think Elliot is that good. He gets a lot of the easy possessions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also need to consider that Elliot does play a lot of game time and rarely comes off. Not sure they have another ruck option to assist him. Also he doesn’t seem overly tall for an ruckman and still goes good. Always liked him as a player and for me to say that about a Roxy player is something 🤣😄

Auck after watching Roxy on the weekend
What are you thoughts on them as a team
What do they need to do to make the finals apart from the obvious which is winning as they’ve seen to fallen off
I agree with the post which spoke about their discipline after the break. It ultimately cost them. Their best footy is when they go at pace which they did in that 2nd quarter. They're young enough to play that style for the entire game.
Also need to consider that Elliot does play a lot of game time and rarely comes off. Not sure they have another ruck option to assist him. Also he doesn’t seem overly tall for an ruckman and still goes good. Always liked him as a player and for me to say that about a Roxy player is something 🤣😄
I was talking to him on Saturday and he's a ripping bloke. He's a ruckman/midfielder and bloody good at both. Might not be TOTY ruckman, but he makes it for being such a telling player around the ground.
Is it top 5 for finals or top 4?
Top 5.

No issues with you having a different opinion.

Interestingly 6-7 sides in this comp I know of are getting the premier data stats done. I’d expect all coaches will have access to all clubs stats ranking’s in various categories. Will add a new dimension to team of year selections.
There is other leagues that pay for it so every club can access.

I agree with the post which spoke about their discipline after the break. It ultimately cost them. Their best footy is when they go at pace which they did in that 2nd quarter. They're young enough to play that style for the entire game.

I was talking to him on Saturday and he's a ripping bloke. He's a ruckman/midfielder and bloody good at both. Might not be TOTY ruckman, but he makes it for being such a telling player around the ground.

Top 5.
from what I’ve seen mate he’d 100% have to be in toty

Does anyone have access the Rupo article on leader
This old fella doesn’t have the subscription
Call me a tight ass if you will

from what I’ve seen mate he’d 100% have to be in toty

Does anyone have access the Rupo article on leader
This old fella doesn’t have the subscription
Call me a tight ass if you will
After moving a step closer to finals footy, Rupertswood is confident of further improvement in the coming weeks as its big name recruit finds his best footy.

Rupertswood’s second half of footy against Roxburgh Park was a reminder of how good the Sharks can be.
Thirteen goals to two after halftime saw Arron Bray’s side move two games clear of the Magpies in the race for a place in the Essendon District league Division 1 top-five.

The Sharks eventually ran out 21.13 (139) to 9.14 (68) winners.

And according to Bray there’s still plenty of room for growth.

“It’s pretty hard to win down there, so we were really happy with that performance,” he said.

“At halftime, we spoke about getting back to playing how we wanted to, we probably went away from that a little bit in the second quarter (Roxburgh Park kicked four goals to two).

“We readjusted and managed to keep putting it on the scoreboard. We’re still missing seven players from arguably our best 22 so there’s going to be a lot of pressure on spots.

“What’s working for us, is you’re not worried about whether guys are going to be able to stand up when they’re called upon. We had a couple of under-18 kids play and rewarded some guys who have been in good form in the reserves.

“They came up and played their roles which is what we ask of everyone.”

The strength of Rupertswood’s forward line has been on full display in the past several weeks headlined by the strong performances of Dean Galea.

The former VFL forward booted seven goals in Saturday’s victory to take his season tally to 33 from eight outings.

Fraser Phelan-Smith was also a strong presence in front of goal with five while Zak Saad booted four.

“His leadership is really growing,” Bray said of Galea.

“He’s been a really good addition for us, he’s good character which fits in really well with the group. Our forward line is still going to look a little different in the coming weeks because we’ve still got a couple of guys to come back in.”

Jorden Braddy was named best afield for a selfless performance opposed to Roxy gun Jack Elliott while Cam McRorie, Aaron West and Luke Cannon also impressed.

Bray described him as a “workhorse” who was always setting the standard on the training track.

“I thought he did a great job against Elliott, who can be a really damaging player and take the game away from you,” he said.

“Jordy’s training ethic is A-grade. We can always rely on him to do a job.”

Rupertswood will now turn its attention to another finals like clash against Hillside still eyeing off a place in the top-three and double chance.

“We’ve set our sights on this one, especially after we were beaten in Round 1,” Bray said.

“We’ll be treating this like an eight-point game.”

Roxburgh Park now faces a must win game against Moonee Valley.

Mate, DP could well still win the flag, I’m not saying that WC have it won. It’s more about the people saying DP would win every game by 10+ goals and changing their narrative after every DP loss.. I’m sure the granny would be a cracker if both teams were to make it
DP was under no illusion it was going to be a task this year, rebuilding for the future. Can't wait for finals time.

SWOOPINGTIME

Last edited:
DP was under no illusion it was going to be a task this year, rebuilding for the future. Can't wait for finals time.

SWOOPINGTIME

Not a bad thing if rebuilding to make the transition to premier over acouple of years. Nothing worse then doing the yo-yo straight back down

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SWOOPINGTIME
DP have the best team but the coach is no good. Ask the Darley boys and they will tell you, can't coach but was a Gun Player and great leader on the field. They won the flag on the back of a very good team put together by the footy op's committee and the onfield playing (do as I do mentality) leadership of Scotto ... History is littered with plenty of ordinary coaches who have coached a flag.
Still think DP will win it

You will find all the posts about DP winning with ease were non DP followers and were the scared folk from other clubs who have no idea of DP team ability.

DP have rebuilt a side almost most scratch since 2019 final and post Covid.

4 players from that 2019 team played yesterday so we know we are rebuilding.

They have done well to stay competitive and still a good chance to win flag as most teams whom rebuild go down a few divisions. Just look at Glenroy, Westy and Tully for teams whom are rebuilding and where are they on ladder.
2019 is a long time ago in list turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DP have the best team but the coach is no good. Ask the Darley boys and they will tell you, can't coach but was a Gun Player and great leader on the field. They won the flag on the back of a very good team put together by the footy op's committee and the onfield playing (do as I do mentality) leadership of Scotto ... History is littered with plenty of ordinary coaches who have coached a flag.

As a person I found Scotland to be quite easy to get along with..his passion for winning is very deep..you have to understand people and he is a still a human being and has emotion which is normal..his downfall is he wants to win everything and let's it out on his players thinking it lifts them to the next stage of football ability wherein it can destroy a players confidence. Id love to see him bag levi which I dont think will happen. As a person found him an ok bloke as a coach I've said it all along not up to it..if DP don't win it..its simple.. he outcoaches himself..I.would replace him now..but thats not a good look..but id do it.. they will lose another game before seasons end and it could.come this week

They will win the premiership and will be 5 goals up at 1/2 time in GF with game over. Yes WC beat them twice but come September those players just kick into another gear. Greenwood & Dorgan in the midfield. Would beat most premier mids and let’s not forget their ruck is best in comp. I admire WC for what they are doing but just can’t see them winning it.
History will tell you DP don’t care about H&A results as long as they make top3.

They will win the premiership and will be 5 goals up at 1/2 time in GF with game over. Yes WC beat them twice but come September those players just kick into another gear. Greenwood & Dorgan in the midfield. Would beat most premier mids and let’s not forget their ruck is best in comp. I admire WC for what they are doing but just can’t see them winning it.
History will tell you DP don’t care about H&A results as long as they make top3.

Didnt happen in wrfl last year

Looked like pretty invested and top gear in a tight contest on the weekend! Pretty sure they came into the game wanting to showcase their skills in a HOME game against a team they already lost against.

Have bookmarked this comment and look forward to bringing it out after Finals, and will also bring it out to congratulate you on your prediction if it goes your way.

Looked like pretty invested and top gear in a tight contest on the weekend! Pretty sure they came into the game wanting to showcase their skills in a HOME game against a team they already lost against.

Have bookmarked this comment and look forward to bringing it out after Finals, and will also bring it out to congratulate you on your prediction if it goes your way.

It will be close at half time as nearly every DP game has been ..I'll take the 5 goals at half time and back $$$$ whatever odds

One thing that was very evident in the WC v DP game on the weekend was that DP are far fitter than WC. The very windy conditions in the first half certainly assisted WC to stay in the game. Fitness will play a large part if they meet in finals on a normal football ground. The return of the captain for DP will add 5 goals to their performance against any team.

One thing that was very evident in the WC v DP game on the weekend was that DP are far fitter than WC. The very windy conditions in the first half certainly assisted WC to stay in the game. Fitness will play a large part if they meet in finals on a normal football ground. The return of the captain for DP will add 5 goals to their performance against any team.
None of what you say makes any sense, the wind helped DP stay in the game, look at the scoring shots, just in the first quarter it was seven scoring shots to two, with most being set shots. If anything DP was assisted by the wind.

And you talk about fitness and finals on a normal ground, what do you call Deer Parks home ground? First game was blamed on the ground (shore reserve) and the amount of behinds DP kicked, now it's a home game and WC kicked all the behinds, and it's still a problem?

The only common factor here is DP losing!

Captain worth 5 goals, how many goals is having arguably the leagues best ruckman from last year coming back into WC? Tis is one area that WC can still improve, current rucks to date have been great and hold their own, but opposition are definitely benefiting from the lack of number 1 ruck at WC.

None of what you say makes any sense, the wind helped DP stay in the game, look at the scoring shots, just in the first quarter it was seven scoring shots to two, with most being set shots. If anything DP was assisted by the wind.

And you talk about fitness and finals on a normal ground, what do you call Deer Parks home ground? First game was blamed on the ground (shore reserve) and the amount of behinds DP kicked, now it's a home game and WC kicked all the behinds, and it's still a problem?

The only common factor here is DP losing!

Captain worth 5 goals, how many goals is having arguably the leagues best ruckman from last year coming back into WC? Tis is one area that WC can still improve, current rucks to date have been great and hold their own, but opposition are definitely benefiting from the lack of number 1 ruck at WC.
Captain of deer park is too aggressive and has good toughness but gives away too many free kicks..his not worth 5 Goals..wouldn't have him in the team ..it doesn't matter whose captain ..he has struggled this year..may be injuries ???

Hillside have a far harder draw to come than roxy. They are the only team that can drop out for mine. Roxy v Hillside at Mantello Oval will be a massive game

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeh true. But they are 2 games out already. Would nearly need to win all 6 remaining to get in. No guarantees to beat Moonee Valley or Craigeburn in the next 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back