EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching master class I thought today. Rupo was rusty early, but after a dominant 2nd quarter they really never looked like losing.

I can't single out one single person as I thought as a team they were fantastic.

What was wrong with Zak? Missed him a lot.

Coaching master class I thought today. Rupo was rusty early, but after a dominant 2nd quarter they really never looked like losing.

I can't single out one single person as I thought as a team they were fantastic.

Yeah HS had a few players out which didn’t help especially Zak.

The first 6mins was very scrappy and then it opened up a bit. 2nd quarter all Rupo. Last 1/2 was pretty boring scrappy footy to be honest. Not many highlights at all. But as I said Rupo we’re to physically strong at the ball. As I’ve been saying for 3-4 years HS must find an experienced tall big bodied mid who can mark and kick a goal. Plus a key back and key forward. Not easy I know.

They got beaten in the midfield and didn’t have a strong marking target at half forward. Ryan and Lojko are more half forward types. I thought Ryan was well held by the Rupo player and they maybe should have thrown Lojko into the middle for a bit of strength. Covelli playing injured didn’t help but worth the risk I thought. The ball into him was to slow and transition wasn’t the best.

Best of luck next week Auck.

How was the reserves game. Deer Park had Edwards and Barling playing with Barling kicking 9. Seriously they would get a game with any other club let alone B grade. They would get a game in a premier side.
Them vs Hillside will be interesting. I believe Covelli might qualify for reserves?

The first 6mins was very scrappy and then it opened up a bit. 2nd quarter all Rupo. Last 1/2 was pretty boring scrappy footy to be honest. Not many highlights at all. But as I said Rupo we’re to physically strong at the ball. As I’ve been saying for 3-4 years HS must find an experienced tall big bodied mid who can mark and kick a goal. Plus a key back and key forward. Not easy I know.

They got beaten in the midfield and didn’t have a strong marking target at half forward. Ryan and Lojko are more half forward types. I thought Ryan was well held by the Rupo player and they maybe should have thrown Lojko into the middle for a bit of strength. Covelli playing injured didn’t help but worth the risk I thought. The ball into him was to slow and transition wasn’t the best.

How was the reserves game. Deer Park had Edwards and Barling playing with Barling kicking 9. Seriously they would get a game with any other club let alone B grade. They would get a game in a premier side.
Them vs Hillside will be interesting. I believe Covelli might qualify for reserves?
I know it's allowed because the senior side is still playing but that was a bit ridiculous today. Absolute class blokes who would walk into any Div 1 team running around in the ressies takes the p1ss a bit. Feel sorry for blokes who played ressies all year to be pushed out by senior players. Oh well, that's the system I guess. Just wished they used games played for every finals match.

Great effort for Roxy to play finals when the ressies won 3 games in each of the last 2 years. To end up in 3rd is beyond all expectations. I know it's only ressies but great improvement across the board

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I admired our blokes who played through the pain barrier. Mcrorie especially.

The first 6mins was very scrappy and then it opened up a bit. 2nd quarter all Rupo. Last 1/2 was pretty boring scrappy footy to be honest. Not many highlights at all. But as I said Rupo we’re to physically strong at the ball.

The defensive pressure forward and back was excellent. I really thought our back 6 were the difference and that allowed the mids to gain advantage. West running off Covelli made a huge impact.

As I’ve been saying for 3-4 years HS must find an experienced tall big bodied mid who can mark and kick a goal. Plus a key back and key forward. Not easy I know.

Yes, good summary. Surprised Komaitai wasn't named in the best and losing him for a period of time hurt too.

Uptherox summed it up well. How do genuine twos players compete with that? He might qualify, but I'm not sure I'd play him against a DP or WC. Not my call to make, just got to do what's right for the team.

I admired our blokes who played through the pain barrier. Mcrorie especially.

The defensive pressure forward and back was excellent. I really thought our back 6 were the difference and that allowed the mids to gain advantage. West running off Covelli made a huge impact.

Yes, good summary. Surprised Komaitai wasn't named in the best and losing him for a period of time hurt too.

Uptherox summed it up well. How do genuine twos players compete with that? He might qualify, but I'm not sure I'd play him against a DP or WC. Not my call to make, just got to do what's right for the team.

Yeah I seen West playing off Covelli and even 50mts off him. Hence I would have changed the kick out and went up the line for a chaos ball as any quick movement would have given Covelli a huge advantage. But Hillside continued to go wide almost every time.
I haven’t seen the stats but I’m guessing the marks contested and uncontested would have favoured Rupo by a fair margin.
Agreed the Rupo back 6 or 7 at times set up the victory along with the midfield clearances.

Agree also the Rupo coach had a good game tactically.

Ruck contests were probably slightly to Hillside however the flip side is both HS rucks are predominantly ruckman. Over the years I’ve seen Rusi play key back and go forward and be dominant but he was a lot fitter back then 🤣 But he still played his part.

Covelli has qualified for reserves I believe so he must play. I seen HS did play a few 18s in their reserves and 1 played seniors so maybe injuries taking their toll at HS.

Yeah I seen West playing off Covelli and even 50mts off him. Hence I would have changed the kick out and went up the line for a chaos ball as any quick movement would have given Covelli a huge advantage. But Hillside continued to go wide almost every time.
I haven’t seen the stats but I’m guessing the marks contested and uncontested would have favoured Rupo by a fair margin.
Agreed the Rupo back 6 or 7 at times set up the victory along with the midfield clearances.

Agree also the Rupo coach had a good game tactically.

Ruck contests were probably slightly to Hillside however the flip side is both HS rucks are predominantly ruckman. Over the years I’ve seen Rusi play key back and go forward and be dominant but he was a lot fitter back then 🤣 But he still played his part.

Covelli has qualified for reserves I believe so he must play. I seen HS did play a few 18s in their reserves and 1 played seniors so maybe injuries taking their toll at HS.

Mate, both clubs are building nicely for the future with a host of very good young players. If anything I would say Hillside is slightly ahead and is well-placed for a crack at Premier in the next year or 3. This division is not going to be easy to win though.

I know it's allowed because the senior side is still playing but that was a bit ridiculous today. Absolute class blokes who would walk into any Div 1 team running around in the ressies takes the p1ss a bit. Feel sorry for blokes who played ressies all year to be pushed out by senior players. Oh well, that's the system I guess. Just wished they used games played for every finals match.

Great effort for Roxy to play finals when the ressies won 3 games in each of the last 2 years. To end up in 3rd is beyond all expectations. I know it's only ressies but great improvement across the board

Not ideal for Roxy but if your seniors are in finals these guys must play a game of footy. Having said that no div1 side would have the list to select these guys in the reserves as they would be selected in the seniors even coming back from injury. No way Edwards or Barling would ever play reserves at any div1 club. They are absolute A graders.

I only seen the last quarter but Deer Park also a very physical reserves side and it stood out on numerous occasions. Crowd over near the scoreboard getting vocal mate. No sure why as from what I seen Deer Park were a lot harder at the ball and obviously the class players just did what they liked.
But agree great effort from Roxy to finish 3rd in the reserves and they kept trying to the end.

Watched the Roxy 2's yesterday Uptherox and for a bunch of kids to hang in there until the last quarter was a superb effort.
Any news on who the coach for next year may be?

Watched the Roxy 2's yesterday Uptherox and for a bunch of kids to hang in there until the last quarter was a superb effort.
Any news on who the coach for next year may be?
Nothing I've seen yet. Hoping for an announcement soon.

Ressies look like having former premiership player Dale Rigby back at the helm after the superb job he did this year but keeping a very tight lid on the senior role for next year.

Mate, both clubs are building nicely for the future with a host of very good young players. If anything I would say Hillside is slightly ahead and is well-placed for a crack at Premier in the next year or 3. This division is not going to be easy to win though.
I believe Marbi Park aren't planning to stay in this division very long - a lot of happening there - Definitely be a very competitive division next year especially if Deer Park happen to fall over on Grand final day . But, in reality, Windy Hill will be ideal for the way they play, they can criss - cross all day. Grand final should be all over by half time !

I believe Marbi Park aren't planning to stay in this division very long - a lot of happening there - Definitely be a very competitive division next year especially if Deer Park happen to fall over on Grand final day . But, in reality, Windy Hill will be ideal for the way they play, they can criss - cross all day. Grand final should be all over by half time !
why especially if DP fall over GF day?
Marby will be strong no doubt , Div 1 is a great even comp at the moment.

At the moment it’s not so even mate. Deer Park another level up.
I agree and have said it all year , DP(Mundy, Greenwood, Dorgan just to name a few) too good for B Grade , that's why I asked the question.
B Grade comp next year very even with Marby, West Coburg, Rupo, Hillside(need to improve to match it with the big boys) , St Albans will improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chahine fwd not sure if he started there or moved during game was a good move.

Rupo deserved to progress to a prelim after a very consistent season.

Zac Wunhym with hammy soreness/strain couldn’t get up & 1 other late out meant HS had to bring in an u18 1st gamer & another who played ressies Sat.
I’d suggest if Prestia, Wuynum play & Rupo have Cardillo, Saad not playing the result is reversed.
That’s the rub of green with injuries.

Turbo made some valid observations HS do tend to play wide too often. And the marking has been an issue all season. Ryan up forward & Pettigrove down back take a lot of marks, but not much else, although Ljoko is a talented tall.
Pettigrove has taken the most intercept marks in Div 1, great effort for someone not key position height.

A couple of young kids for Rupo I like, the kid on the wing looks a player & Johnson in backline is progressing well.

Both clubs would be content with progression this season. Hillside coach has done a great job with the list build.

Good luck to remaining 3 teams.

Marbi park can plan all they want ! there is no bottomless purse there like last time the won the division.Also every side is getting stronger there is no walk up favourite next year

Chahine fwd not sure if he started there or moved during game was a good move.

Started back and went forward. Excellent move and it meant Stewart did the majority of the kick-ins.

Rupo deserved to progress to a prelim after a very consistent season.

I was expecting finals at least but a PF is a bonus.

Zac Wunhym with hammy soreness/strain couldn’t get up & 1 other late out meant HS had to bring in an u18 1st gamer & another who played ressies Sat.
I’d suggest if Prestia, Wuynum play & Rupo have Cardillo, Saad not playing the result is reversed.
That’s the rub of green with injuries.

That's a pity about, Zak. Absolutely makes a huge difference.

Turbo made some valid observations HS do tend to play wide too often. And the marking has been an issue all season. Ryan up forward & Pettigrove down back take a lot of marks, but not much else, although Ljoko is a talented tall.
Pettigrove has taken the most intercept marks in Div 1, great effort for someone not key position height.

:thumbsu:
A couple of young kids for Rupo I like, the kid on the wing looks a player & Johnson in backline is progressing well.

Bailey Verall. Impressed me from the get-go.

Both clubs would be content with progression this season. Hillside coach has done a great job with the list build.

Good luck to remaining 3 teams.

Yup.
Could be a good match up on the wing then with the young WC winger (11) then this week.

Absolutely. Welhrauch is a beauty.

Started back and went forward. Excellent move and it meant Stewart did the majority of the kick-ins.

I was expecting finals at least but a PF is a bonus.

That's a pity about, Zak. Absolutely makes a huge difference.

:thumbsu:

Bailey Verall. Impressed me from the get-go.

Yup.

Absolutely. Welhrauch is a beauty.

As a DP supporter and not missed a game this year both Rupo and WC have good sides and both teams can still beat DP on their day, though everything will have to go right for them.

HOWEVER, Rupo have no depth, ressies didn't appear to have a lot of talent to top up team. I don't believe they can compete in Premier unless they can spend big. Not being disrespectful to team however they may be better off not winning the GF until they can build a deeper list.

WC can compete however i think they had a reality check on weekend and players got a bit of a sign of what a premier rounds will look like every week.

On another note I enjoy WC president post match interview with coach each week...Nothing this week, surely if you do a post every week you do one when you don't win...

Where has be coached before?
Glenroy and it destroyed reservoir after their flag he won there

Recruiter all 30 plus players to win a div 3 flag then they deserted the joint leaving them in recess for a year rather than fight it out in div 2

Was similar to jacana except ressa have managed to stay on the park

As good. As divisional footy can be a flag can kill your club when blokes flee in droves at the thought of testing themselves at the higher division

Glenroy and it destroyed reservoir after their flag he won there

Recruiter all 30 plus players to win a div 3 flag then they deserted the joint leaving them in recess for a year rather than fight it out in div 2

Was similar to jacana except ressa have managed to stay on the park

As good. As divisional footy can be a flag can kill your club when blokes flee in droves at the thought of testing themselves at the higher division
terranova did stay at Glenroy in premier even though they got belted each week but he and his mate left Tessa in a bad situation after the granny win .they are still suffering for it they are getting cricket scores kicked against them each week

As a DP supporter and not missed a game this year both Rupo and WC have good sides and both teams can still beat DP on their day, though everything will have to go right for them.

For sure.

HOWEVER, Rupo have no depth, ressies didn't appear to have a lot of talent to top up team. I don't believe they can compete in Premier unless they can spend big. Not being disrespectful to team however they may be better off not winning the GF until they can build a deeper list.

Well, at least they never forfeited a game this year unlike some clubs, but, yes, fair points.

WC can compete however i think they had a reality check on weekend and players got a bit of a sign of what a premier rounds will look like every week.

They'll have over 20 points to play with next year which is a huge bonus if they decide to go down that road. I think they can cope, it will just be a matter of staying up, like a lot of clubs do, or do you spend a bucket load of cash and go for finals.

On another note I enjoy WC president post match interview with coach each week...Nothing this week, surely if you do a post every week you do one when you don't win...
Well, I wouldn't be pointing fingers at others when your coach refuses to shake hands after a loss.

terranova did stay at Glenroy in premier even though they got belted each week but he and his mate left Tessa in a bad situation after the granny win .they are still suffering for it they are getting cricket scores kicked against them each week
I know he’s not too popular around pacco from the players he took over to reservoir over that period

May or may not have a almost been a punch up a function during the year from it

I’ve got a couple mates at reservoir

They had a flag reunion there a few weeks ago I popped in to see a couple guys I was suprised terranova was even there to be honest after the way it played out for the club

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back