EDFL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

^ yeah, not really. But whatever.

Not sure ripping on blokes who play div 2 footy is any sort of point at all. Oak Park definitely don't look like a hack footy team to me, for example.

Anyway, umpiring is hard. Supporters need to understand that better. This division has been good to watch except for a few East Sunbury games, and they are trying to rebuild a footy club.

Went to a lot of footy on the weekend including juniors, and the crowd stuff compounds the unfortunately poor standard of umpiring. Was there for a under 14 game where the umpire couldn't have been older than 12. Away parents/coaches made that boys hard job even harder.

Saw a senior game by the two best sides in Div 2 imo overly impacted by umpiring, but again, it wasn't helped by the crowd and players getting so frustrated that the free kick count got so bad that topped 80 and wrecked what could have been an absolutely fantastic game. Chicken and egg stuff? Not sure.

It's a very hard problem to solve.

Yes itā€™s not easy when the umpires are younger than the players but once again I say the coaches should be telling players to respect decisions right or wrong. If a kid is willing to come out and umpire and least treat him/her with respect.
As coaches it should be to encourage them. Even with a few dodgy calls the best team still wins and ultimately youā€™re playing for enjoyment not junior premierships especially in grades other than div1. If youā€™re coaching for a junior premiership in say div3,4,5 for your own glory, please give it away. These coaches are just showbags!! Some tank in grading just for personal glory of playing in low divisions..

this made me laugh. Imagine spending a Sat Arvo watching the absolute Hacks running around playing C Grade Footy and coming away with criticism of umpires... C Grade footy should think themselves lucky they get someone to umpire at all
Not all hacks, if I recall some clubs like Hillside, East Keilor , Moonee Valley, Roxy, all played ā€œC Gradeā€, oh and Keilor Park, Iā€™m sure Turbo doesnā€™t feel they are hacks! Nor Hillside for that matter. I enjoyed my Saturday arvos last few years watching those teams, some good players running around the Div and good teams.

At present the WRFL seem to have less incidents. I think with clubs wanting to come into our league like Deer Park & St Albans and possibly others letā€™s maybe get rid of some clubs that have poor behaviour standards.

Sick of hearing ā€œoh itā€™s difficult to get junior coaches / volunteers and playersā€ so we kind of take what we can! Bad behaviour coaches bring bad teams such as assistants and runners so it snow balls and they encourage poor on field behaviours.
Just get rid of these clubs and make our league better. Presidents have enough on their plates and family lives and then need to deal with other stuff. Cā€™mon letā€™s punish these individual players and coaches and if it continues the club goes! Harsh but itā€™s necessary I believe to get better behaviours.

A common theme I've noticed for a long time is, a small minority of people doing most of the work. As someone who was lucky enough to work with an outstanding Junior and Senior committee our lives were made so much easier by also having family members who wanted to be involved rather than having to ask them.

Like it or not, Senior Presidents are a huge make up of the league and are the ones who should be driving change. They should be the ones telling the board and CEO what they want, not the other way around. I don't believe one team is a reflection of an entire club and would be completely against kicking any club out over something 99.9% of them have no control over. I would hazard a guess that, there might be 50 or so people at an 18.5s game. Good luck getting the canteen up, goal padding, lines marked etc. etc. all while being expected to be security guards too.

Football at the moment from what I see is, seriously short of the support that's needed to maintain the standards we may have expected in days gone by.

That said, I have nothing but admiration for the work the current SP does at Rupo and another who I talk with frequently.

Umpires are not declining because of $$. Itā€™s because of the constant abuse from coaches, players and supporters. Club officials canā€™t be everywhere so coaches should be pulling people into line. You need courage but unfortunately some think poor behaviour is acceptable.

Also coaching courses are online thesedays which I think attributes to these poor coaches. Are they actually doing it? Think there should be a better process as I recall when you had to sit and listen to the umpires boss speak. It was great as they were saying to support & encourage umpires to get more involved and those already there to stay on. These umpires are young kids and someoneā€™s son. I recall Rosen Sawyers saying if things donā€™t change there will be no umpires and he could be correct all those years ago!
Why criticise them on a Sunday? Do these coaches & players criticise their own players? Do they abuse and criticise their own children? No they criticise and abuse umpires as they know they canā€™t fight back in their role. To me these people are cowards and weak minded individuals.
We are taught to educate, be fair, not discriminate and not to bully. Yet certain individuals think itā€™s ok to treat umpires differently.

Turbo loves his sport! Do you??
I've made a conscious effort to just sit back and enjoy the footy more on a Saturday afternoon. Control what you can control. Have fun and get behind your team in a way which makes the whole afternoon much more enjoyable.

Northern by 10 in a massive game.
Taylors Lakes by 8 in another huge match up.
Oak Park by 28.
Burnside Heights by 50.

this made me laugh. Imagine spending a Sat Arvo watching the absolute Hacks running around playing C Grade Footy and coming away with criticism of umpires... C Grade footy should think themselves lucky they get someone to umpire at all

like saying Premier EDFL shouldnā€™t have competent umpiring because they are hacks compared to State leagues or AFL
A common theme I've noticed for a long time is, a small minority of people doing most of the work. As someone who was lucky enough to work with an outstanding Junior and Senior committee our lives were made so much easier by also having family members who wanted to be involved rather than having to ask them.

Like it or not, Senior Presidents are a huge make up of the league and are the ones who should be driving change. They should be the ones telling the board and CEO what they want, not the other way around. I don't believe one team is a reflection of an entire club and would be completely against kicking any club out over something 99.9% of them have no control over. I would hazard a guess that, there might be 50 or so people at an 18.5s game. Good luck getting the canteen up, goal padding, lines marked etc. etc. all while being expected to be security guards too.

Football at the moment from what I see is, seriously short of the support that's needed to maintain the standards we may have expected in days gone by.

That said, I have nothing but admiration for the work the current SP does at Rupo and another who I talk with frequently.

I've made a conscious effort to just sit back and enjoy the footy more on a Saturday afternoon. Control what you can control. Have fun and get behind your team in a way which makes the whole afternoon much more enjoyable.

Oak Park by 28.
Burnside Heights by 50.
Coburg Districts by 1
Oak Park by 60
Taylors Lakes by 18
Burnside Heights by 2

Not all hacks, if I recall some clubs like Hillside, East Keilor , Moonee Valley, Roxy, all played ā€œC Gradeā€, oh and Keilor Park, Iā€™m sure Turbo doesnā€™t feel they are hacks! Nor Hillside for that matter. I enjoyed my Saturday arvos last few years watching those teams, some good players running around the Div and good teams.
There's no doubt there's handy footballers around.
The general gist though was that at a time where comps are crying out for umpires, perhaps jumping online to bleat about the quality of umpiring is idiotic? (Not directed at anyone in particular)

like saying Premier EDFL shouldnā€™t have competent umpiring because they are hacks compared to State leagues or AFL

Coburg Districts by 1
Oak Park by 60
Taylors Lakes by 18
Burnside Heights by 2
G'day Gremlin my ol' mate. I will answer you by saying - Yes, I agree with you, it is absurd to think that Premier EDFL should expect the same competency of umpires as the State Leagues do...

Oak Park by 28.
Burnside Heights by 50.
Some good points here ! I have never been in favour of penalizing a whole club for the actions of a few. In Hadfield's case, all they have done is move the issue to the reserves as they were well short on players and now have a full list of 18's to chose from. Just another Crazy decision by the Edfl. By the way, this is not just a Hadfield issue - This is happening on a very regular basis across the whole competitions. Were Taylors Lakes 18's kicked out as well ? unless they were fighting amongst themselves. Very drastic decision to kick out a whole team IMO.....

Some good points here ! I have never been in favour of penalizing a whole club for the actions of a few. In Hadfield's case, all they have done is move the issue to the reserves as they were well short on players and now have a full list of 18's to chose from. Just another Crazy decision by the Edfl. By the way, this is not just a Hadfield issue - This is happening on a very regular basis across the whole competitions. Were Taylors Lakes 18's kicked out as well ? unless they were fighting amongst themselves. Very drastic decision to kick out a whole team IMO.....
I will have to retract my comment as I believe they have not been kicked out of the 18.5 comp. What is the league doing? The punishment is not going far enough, warnings are not working.

On your comments well they wonā€™t do that stuff against men in the reserves as they will get belted doing this stuff.
If you watch the vision Taylorā€™s lakes are not at fault in any way. The league needs to make a stand as personally some clubs are NOT doing enough to stamp out poor behaviour.

Apparently there is a meeting next week in where all presidents, vice presidents etc must attend and the league will be telling clubs enough is enough. If you donā€™t attend expect a fine. Can only hope clubs send the message to coaches and if any player misbehaves just throw them out and tell other clubs player x has been thrown out so other clubs also donā€™t accept them in. To many incidents occurring. Iā€™m hearing more umpires have thrown it in or told the league they donā€™t want to umpire club x due to the amount of abuse from players, coaches and spectators.

I will have to retract my comment as I believe they have not been kicked out of the 18.5 comp. What is the league doing? The punishment is not going far enough, warnings are not working.

On your comments well they wonā€™t do that stuff against men in the reserves as they will get belted doing this stuff.
If you watch the vision Taylorā€™s lakes are not at fault in any way. The league needs to make a stand as personally some clubs are NOT doing enough to stamp out poor behaviour.

Apparently there is a meeting next week in where all presidents, vice presidents etc must attend and the league will be telling clubs enough is enough. If you donā€™t attend expect a fine. Can only hope clubs send the message to coaches and if any player misbehaves just throw them out and tell other clubs player x has been thrown out so other clubs also donā€™t accept them in. To many incidents occurring. Iā€™m hearing more umpires have thrown it in or told the league they donā€™t want to umpire club x due to the amount of abuse from players, coaches and spectators.

Unfortunately you canā€™t police these people coming in, maybe the club have tried to stamp it out but with no fences around grounds itā€™s impossible. Might have to hire you as security turbo
I 100% do agree with if a player has been thrown out of a club for x reason then they should tell other clubs not to accept them in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unfortunately you canā€™t police these people coming in, maybe the club have tried to stamp it out but with no fences around grounds itā€™s impossible. Might have to hire you as security turbo
I 100% do agree with if a player has been thrown out of a club for x reason then they should tell other clubs not to accept them in.

Haha it would drive me crazy. However if confronting these idiot supporters and offering one on one majority would run the other way

Iā€™m going to come out and say the following.
- On line coaching courses just create idiot coaches as itā€™s a simple on line session. They could probably get someone to do it for them. This is creating some of the worse coaches at junior level seen in years. FACT
Go back to having to spending 3-4 hours at windy hill. Listening to current/ex AFL players, league CEO expectations and umpires boss. And drills etc.

- Coaches and letā€™s be honest some club officials, condoning poor behaviour, bulling, etc. I know you will all shoot me down but itā€™s true. Coaches should set examples and not tolerate poor behaviour and umpire abuse. Iā€™m sick of the coach saying ā€œ I didnā€™t see itā€ or ā€œhe was hit priorā€ or ā€œwe struggle for playersā€ or ā€œvilification so he reactedā€ Most are just excuses for incompetent coaches.
Coaches still trying to use intimidation as a tactic, or at times tagging, targeting opposing players. Cmon we play for sheep stations. Some coaches canā€™t stand losing so use physical stuff or want to play lower divisions to beat up on smaller aged opponents. ALL FACT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good games this weekend..

Saints v Districtsā€¦.districts had a big win last year at Mutton Reserveā€¦will be a lot closer, maybe Districts by 15 points
OAKERS V Haddy ā€¦ā€¦.Haddy a bit unpredictable but Oakers still too strong, 27 points,
Taylors v Sunbury Kangaroos, a great game, a must win for Sunbury, I think they can do it, 10 points,
East Sunbury v Burnside, Burnside by 15 points over a disappointing East Sunburyā€¦

letā€™s hope games are played in good spiritā€¦.

Some good games this weekend..

Saints v Districtsā€¦.districts had a big win last year at Mutton Reserveā€¦will be a lot closer, maybe Districts by 15 points
OAKERS V Haddy ā€¦ā€¦.Haddy a bit unpredictable but Oakers still too strong, 27 points,
Taylors v Sunbury Kangaroos, a great game, a must win for Sunbury, I think they can do it, 10 points,
East Sunbury v Burnside, Burnside by 15 points over a disappointing East Sunburyā€¦

letā€™s hope games are played in good spiritā€¦.

Anyone braving the cold at tonightā€™s game ES v BH? Hopefully a good game

Haddy 18.5s kicked out of competition. Great decision by the league. Strong decision and now sets a precedent.

Personally think if clubs stuff up on field or off field and the league doesnā€™t kick them out at a minimum charge them $200 for having to get a league official to go to every game for say 3hrs, another $600 for 2-3 security guards plus anyone who is suspended and goes to tribunal you pay the umpires $60 per hour for attending the tribunal.

I think any junior umpire attending the tribunal should be paid for their time by the offending club ā€œifā€ player is found guilty.. why should umpires attend for no pay! Might see more reports at junior level and kids & coaches made accountable. Flip side is coaches need to then step up and club presidents will be putting coaches and players on notice to improve standards.
I think that might show support for umpires at junior levels and might even get more umpires back.
Interested in the thoughts of everyone!!
Turbo you need to get your facts right but oh lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story. Haddy 18.5 have not been kicked out nor have the club pulled them out. What happened at Taylors Lakes went to investigation - nothing come of it. Hadfield got rid of a troublemaker and 6 of his "mates" left with him. Good decision by the club. There was no stabbing after the game or any game (as the rumour mill has it) you would have thought it would have been 1st story on Channel 7. People like you need to stop making assumptions and trying to destroy a proud club.

Turbo you need to get your facts right but oh lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story. Haddy 18.5 have not been kicked out nor have the club pulled them out. What happened at Taylors Lakes went to investigation - nothing come of it. Hadfield got rid of a troublemaker and 6 of his "mates" left with him. Good decision by the club. There was no stabbing after the game or any game (as the rumour mill has it) you would have thought it would have been 1st story on Channel 7. People like you need to stop making assumptions and trying to destroy a proud club.
Hey One, not sure I tried to destroy a club as actually I said the opposite. But why do young kids playing our great game need to experience this in a game of sport. So the player pointing threats near the fence line has been kicked out? If true thatā€™s great to hear making a strong stance.
Buddy itā€™s a game of football FFS. Play the ball and everyone moves forward. Yes there will be the odd scuffle Iā€™m sure, but we donā€™t need idiots jumping the fence to assault young kids. Surely no one agrees that is acceptable!!

Anyway we move on now.

Oak Park by 28.
Burnside Heights by 50.
So what are you doing to drive change mate?

Hey One, not sure I tried to destroy a club as actually I said the opposite. But why do young kids playing our great game need to experience this in a game of sport. So the player pointing threats near the fence line has been kicked out? If true thatā€™s great to hear making a strong stance.
Buddy itā€™s a game of football FFS. Play the ball and everyone moves forward. Yes there will be the odd scuffle Iā€™m sure, but we donā€™t need idiots jumping the fence to assault young kids. Surely no one agrees that is acceptable!!

Anyway we move on now.

Just like youā€™re hillside mob jumping the fence on the weekend? You gonna kick them out of the club like hadfield have kicked their trouble makers out? Itā€™s a select few who unfortunately ruin it for others

Just like youā€™re hillside mob jumping the fence on the weekend? You gonna kick them out of the club like hadfield have kicked their trouble makers out? Itā€™s a select few who unfortunately ruin it for others

Itā€™s people like you that just donā€™t get it. Both werenā€™t great scenes but difference being:
1- Adults jumping fences to attack kids should never be tolerated. ā€œOh we are winning so get back over the fenceā€ umm what if your losing?
2- Game was in progress at one game and abandoned at other before any spectators enter the fray!
3- The person who ran in on Sat didnt grab any opposition player he actually ran to a player on the ground as you can clearly see he goes in to assist injured person. Plus game was abandoned before he enters the field. Still it shouldnā€™t have happened I agree.

So my point is surely young kids should be able to play this sport safely. Should grown men be attacking juniors. Not in my view.

But hey we just think differently!!

Itā€™s people like you that just donā€™t get it. Both werenā€™t great scenes but difference being:
1- Adults jumping fences to attack kids should never be tolerated. ā€œOh we are winning so get back over the fenceā€ umm what if your losing?
2- Game was in progress at one game and abandoned at other before any spectators enter the fray!
3- The person who ran in on Sat didnt grab any opposition player he actually ran to a player on the ground as you can clearly see he goes in to assist injured person. Plus game was abandoned before he enters the field. Still it shouldnā€™t have happened I agree.

So my point is surely young kids should be able to play this sport safely. Should grown men be attacking juniors. Not in my view.

But hey we just think differently!!
Yes, you think differently depending on what teams are playing

Just a question. Have you seen both incidents to comment like this. I assume so!

I have seen both incidents and there are no innocent parties here.

And my comments don't relate only to this incident, my comments relate to your posts over many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 2 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back