EDFL Premier Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers mate. To my knowledge they didn’t scope other clubs or pillage clubs. However a few neighbouring clubs couldn’t sustain juniors and players then had to find other clubs so they just so happened to go to Pacco as it was reasonable close. Bit different however I do understand your point in that ultimately the major clubs still dominate juniors and the gap has widen whereas in the past you might have seen a Hillside, Westmeadows, West Coburg junior team in the div1 finals it’s not happening nowadays. These clubs have r*ped other clubs. Yes they might say kids went there by choice but let me tell you 95% of them didn’t just walk into these clubs without some contact from these clubs.
One example is Keilor winning the 16 div1 premiership under McGuane. The best player on GF day wasn’t a keilor junior. He went there this season from a neighbouring club. Where does it stop???
AFL Vic bring in a points system to even the competition. Has it worked in leveling it out. No it hasn’t. WHY don’t they look at the juniors and stop clubs from targeting young talent from other clubs. This might over time even it out somewhat..
Imagine zones for juniors… realistically would probably kill off some good clubs in older areas but an interesting thought that would shake up the senior programs as well

I
Imagine zones for juniors… realistically would probably kill off some good clubs in older areas but an interesting thought that would shake up the senior programs as well
How about a cap on what clubs charge juniors for membership ..This would dampen enthusiasm to recruit from all and sundry

I

How about a cap on what clubs charge juniors for membership ..This would dampen enthusiasm to recruit from all and sundry

Or cap the number of junior teams per age group
Which will aid in distribution of talent and by default increase the number of home growns in seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Or cap the number of junior teams per age group
Which will aid in distribution of talent and by default increase the number of home growns in seniors.

they currently are capped and have been for 20 years - max 4 teams per age group

You can argue that's too high - but there is a cap

Why don’t you use the point system for juniors. I know the WRFL use the points system. Maybe only give them 30 points per team. It will stop clubs recruiting kids at 14, 16 & 18 level.

Why don’t you use the point system for juniors. I know the WRFL use the points system. Maybe only give them 30 points per team. It will stop clubs recruiting kids at 14, 16 & 18 level.
Understand the idea however has flaws. Juniors don't have any choice if their parents move suburbs or areas.
Would not be fair on a club that welcomes a kid that has moved across town because of his/her parents.

Cheers mate. To my knowledge they didn’t scope other clubs or pillage clubs. However a few neighbouring clubs couldn’t sustain juniors and players then had to find other clubs so they just so happened to go to Pacco as it was reasonable close. Bit different however I do understand your point in that ultimately the major clubs still dominate juniors and the gap has widen whereas in the past you might have seen a Hillside, Westmeadows, West Coburg junior team in the div1 finals it’s not happening nowadays. These clubs have r*ped other clubs. Yes they might say kids went there by choice but let me tell you 95% of them didn’t just walk into these clubs without some contact from these clubs.
One example is Keilor winning the 16 div1 premiership under McGuane. The best player on GF day wasn’t a keilor junior. He went there this season from a neighbouring club. Where does it stop???
AFL Vic bring in a points system to even the competition. Has it worked in leveling it out. No it hasn’t. WHY don’t they look at the juniors and stop clubs from targeting young talent from other clubs. This might over time even it out somewhat..
From afar, it does appear that the increased strength of the Pacco junior setup has coincided with the increase in players lobbing at Raeburn from surrounding clubs.
Honestly though mate, I was just giving you a bit of cheek due to previous statements you'd made on the subject.
We're in agreement though that the balance of talented kids filtering through a select few clubs is problematic and only leads to further issues, hopefully with time, the myth that you need to be at Abers, Keilor etc. to be spotted by scouts can be eroded.

they currently are capped and have been for 20 years - max 4 teams per age group

You can argue that's too high - but there is a cap
Capping the fees will reduce the teams at an any given ..max a kid should get charged is 150. ..clubs paying bills due to excessive junior subs is just wrong and should be uniformed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if they start doing this and zoning to junior footy,some kids will stop playing as they can’t play with their mates. Big risk

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree the zoning is not ideal but pretty sure when you play TAC cup you go to the club you’re zoned to.
I don’t a points system type process. Maybe only 1 player from an opposing club per age group.

I think if they start doing this and zoning to junior footy,some kids will stop playing as they can’t play with their mates. Big risk

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Surely the opportunity to get one over your mates is still appealing?
Given the rates of attrition, particularly at some of the larger clubs across the state, players are stopping playing as it is - the risk is in doing nothing IMO.

Brodie Holland back at Marby

Attachments

• 1694157616425.png
    1694157616425.png
    628.1 KB · Views: 144
Brodie Holland back at Marby

Wonder if there is some truth to them not getting relegated?

Wonder if there is some truth to them not getting relegated?

I heard they asked not to be relegated as they have under 18/s haven’t given a walkover in the 2nds compared to other clubs. Yes they didn’t win enough games to stay up but they didn’t forfeit any games either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back