EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

If Abers are to win the flag as well, their big name players should not be playing reserves football at all unless they are returning from long term injuries..blokes like Reimers & Macnamara and a few others had stints in the twos at one stage throughout the year.

If Northern Saints are to survive in Premier Division, then they must be competitive across all levels unlike last year where their reserves & 18's were getting smashed every week & failed to win a game..Douttas were so unlucky especially with the number of games they lost by under a goal, but also as to how well their reserves(made finals) & 18's(missed out by a game) went.

Good to see people have Pascoe Vale in the top bunch as think they will go well, but need to have a good start to the season to build momentum. Has coach Morgan assembled a good list after going through some hard times last year by standing his ground for the better of the club.. Might be some reward for his efforts.
Watch out for Patty Veszpremi if the side is up and about early, as a gun player with enormous talent. Really should tear this league apart with his strength and skills.

Cheers

Good to see people have Pascoe Vale in the top bunch as think they will go well, but need to have a good start to the season to build momentum. Has coach Morgan assembled a good list after going through some hard times last year by standing his ground for the better of the club.. Might be some reward for his efforts.
Watch out for Patty Veszpremi if the side is up and about early, as a gun player with enormous talent. Really should tear this league apart with his strength and skills.

Cheers
Veszpremi should be at a higher level.

Abers on paper have a much better side than the ones they've fielded in the previous seasons in my opinion, thus despite losing young guns Robbie Fox & Anthony Prestia. Fox was their most consistent player by far in 2014. This is their year, surely. Big ask for Stratty to go back to back but they'll be up there. Greenvale will be too-if all luck goes their way with a good start to the year as goes with Pacco. Avo some big losses covered however will need to perform in the big games when it matters. Interesting season ahead for Keilor-the big elimination final loss they suffered will still be in the back of the players minds undoubtedly.

Northern Saints will struggle. The Caruso brothers will shoulder most of the load however with Stocco off to the VFL with Williamstown (next highest goalkicker in competition behind Rose & Galea) is a massive blow as is losing young gun Clothier (Douttas) & speedster Simioni (Coburg).
Airport West, Marby Park & West Coburg will all finish bottom 4- massive gap between the competitions top 6 & bottom 4.

Will have a go at predicting this years ladder.
1. Aberfeldie
2. Greenvale
3. Strathmore
4. Avondale Heights

5. Maribyrnong Park
6. Pascoe Vale
7. Keilor
8. West Coburg
9. Northern Saints
10. Airport West.

The 2 Big Improvers are Marby and Pascoe Vale.

1. Aberfeldie
2. Greenvale
3. Strathmore
4. Avondale Heights

5. Maribyrnong Park
6. Pascoe Vale
7. Keilor
8. West Coburg
9. Northern Saints
10. Airport West.

G'day Mick,
I know its only a prediction but Reasons for having Marby above Pacco. Any news coming out of Marby besides Reeves, Whyatt & Barling. Have they got Ayres & Livingston back as well..

1. Aberfeldie
2. Greenvale
3. Strathmore
4. Avondale Heights

5. Maribyrnong Park
6. Pascoe Vale
7. Keilor
8. West Coburg
9. Northern Saints
10. Airport West.

Marby need to have picked up heaps to finish 5th
That money they had a few years ago has dried up! Unless it's back.

Simon Potter signed at Strathmore?

Joel Reynolds set for a return to Lebanon too?

Seriously how much are Strathmore paying? Got to be around 350-400k as these players don't come cheap and add Sikora on 50k. I don't want to hear all the sh## about their local juniors as they are paying big $$.
On a positive they should be favourites for the flag surely, don't worry about Abers as these guys are going mad..,

Seriously how much are Strathmore paying? Got to be around 350-400k as these players don't come cheap and add Sikora on 50k. I don't want to hear all the sh## about their local juniors as they are paying big $$.
On a positive they should be favourites for the flag surely, don't worry about Abers as these guys are going mad..,
Nah. With the list Abers are putting on the park this season they deserve to be very short priced favourites for the flag. They have retained almost all of their good players from last season, and have topped up with several quality recruits.

Mores on the other hand have lost at least 5-6 good players from their Premiership team. No doubt they will be in the mix with Greenvale, Avondale, Pacco, and maybe Keilor. But the team Abers will be fielding looks a cut above the rest, at least on paper anyway.

Nah. With the list Abers are putting on the park this season they deserve to be very short priced favourites for the flag. They have retained almost all of their good players from last season, and have topped up with several quality recruits.

Mores on the other hand have lost at least 5-6 good players from their Premiership team. No doubt they will be in the mix with Greenvale, Avondale, Pacco, and maybe Keilor. But the team Abers will be fielding looks a cut above the rest, at least on paper anyway.
It has looked good on paper the last 2 years

Salary Cap time?

G'day Mick,
I know its only a prediction but Reasons for having Marby above Pacco. Any news coming out of Marby besides Reeves, Whyatt & Barling. Have they got Ayres & Livingston back as well..

Yes the above players are correct , also have pretty much kept all there group from last year plus a few more handy types as well. Robbie Castello doing a great job. Go Marby !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keilor were simply lucky last season it was shown in the semi final abers killed them!

Could see them drop to 6th or 7th
Massive gap between top 5 and the rest for mine!
Last season was the closest for years!
Is there are spots in the top 5 teams with the influx of big names for the young kids like
Liberatore (pacco)
A. Raji (pacco)
D. Raji (pacco)
Blake (pacco)
Barrett (abers)
Jackson (abers)
WhIllas (abers)
Wade (abers)
Kavanagh (strathmore)
Corigliano (strathmore)
Baniowski (strathmore)
Allison (strathmore)
Purcell ( strathmore)
King (greenvale)
Bonello (greenvale)
Schraven (greenvale)
Petryshyn (greenvale)

G'day Stax on mill,
The issue will be leadership again in my outside opinion. Teams that win premierships have good coaches and captain who bring everyone together for ultimate success. I'm not saying Abers don't as I don't know them but cash alone doesn't get you a premiership.

Go back a few years to Marby, assembled a good list (due to GA) but had a great leader in Ayres. Tough, courageous and bought them together.

I would rather recruit 5-6 close mates that all want to win, rather than big name players who only play for the money. However not easy to find 5-6 that want to leave a club at once.

Bring on the footy!!

G'day Stax on mill,
The issue will be leadership again in my outside opinion. Teams that win premierships have good coaches and captain who bring everyone together for ultimate success. I'm not saying Abers don't as I don't know them but cash alone doesn't get you a premiership.

Go back a few years to Marby, assembled a good list (due to GA) but had a great leader in Ayres. Tough, courageous and bought them together.

I would rather recruit 5-6 close mates that all want to win, rather than big name players who only play for the money. However not easy to find 5-6 that want to leave a club at once.

Bring on the footy!!
Hi Turbos, I can't disagree with any of what you have said. Undoubtedly close mateship amongst the playing group and playing for each other can be a major factor when it comes to the crunch in big games.

I too bemoan the influx of highly paid players who only stick around for 1-2 years, or when the money runs out. My club ( Strathmore ) is just as guilty as others. Unfortunately once 1 or 2 clubs spend up on highly credentialled recruits then others feel obliged to follow suit, or they get blown out of the water.( if they have the finances ). Makes for a pretty lopsided competition though, if 4-5 clubs have the wherewithal, but the rest don't.

Having said that I haven't been to an AFL match for years. I love watching EDFL football. The standard is good, atmosphere friendly, free entry, listen to the coaches addresses and you can have a few ales without too many dick heads getting in your face.
I don't always go to Mores matches. If I see a good match up involving other teams I will frequently go and watch and appreciate them, and also without getting too wound up about the result ( or the umpiring ).

Yes, I can't wait for it to start all over again.

Keilor were simply lucky last season it was shown in the semi final abers killed them!

Could see them drop to 6th or 7th
Massive gap between top 5 and the rest for mine!
Last season was the closest for years!
Is there are spots in the top 5 teams with the influx of big names for the young kids like
Liberatore (pacco)
A. Raji (pacco)
D. Raji (pacco)
Blake (pacco)
Barrett (abers)
Jackson (abers)
WhIllas (abers)
Wade (abers)
Kavanagh (strathmore)
Corigliano (strathmore)
Baniowski (strathmore)
Allison (strathmore)
Purcell ( strathmore)
King (greenvale)
Bonello (greenvale)
Schraven (greenvale)
Petryshyn (greenvale)

Libba not at Coburg in 2015-& when he went back to play at Pacco he wasn't playing seniors..doubtful
Barrett & Jackson may join another club in the hope of playing regular senior football there. doubtful at abers
Whillas was invited to train with Port Melbourne after the new year- made the first cut. Not sure about a spot for him in Abers seniors.
Wade- Wasn't he at Bernards in 2014 if not at Coburg? Returned to Abers has he? doubtful
Corigliano- Training with Coburg. Possible
Allison-Heard he was considering crossing to the VAFA with Bernards after being dropped for the Grand Final after every game last year. Definitely a spot still for him
Purcell-One of their best in the Grand Final. No need to ask. Training with Essendon VFL
King-Establishing himself in the seniors & was in great form before a nasty wrist injury ended his year, only for him to return for the ressies in the finals, managing 8 goals in 2 games. Has what it takes, needs to steer clear of the injury room.
Bonello-Alternated between all 3 levels in 2014. Wait & see with him
Schraven-Playing for Coburg in 15.
Petryshyn-Training with Coburg.

Ok here is my ladder predictions.
Strathmore (strong leaders)
Pascoe Vale (good list assembled)
Abers ( lots of talent)
Greenvale (won't miss finals again)
Avondale (kick lots of goals but Backline not so sure)
Airport West (maybe going under radar)
Keilor
Marby (sorry boys but not sure of talent recruited)
West Coburg
Northern Saints

"Ok I'm ready for all the replies but it's very early in the season and just my thoughts"

PS: keep replies to before 7pm before the grog sets in..lol

Libba not at Coburg in 2015-& when he went back to play at Pacco he wasn't playing seniors..doubtful
Barrett & Jackson may join another club in the hope of playing regular senior football there. doubtful at abers
Whillas was invited to train with Port Melbourne after the new year- made the first cut. Not sure about a spot for him in Abers seniors.
Wade- Wasn't he at Bernards in 2014 if not at Coburg? Returned to Abers has he? doubtful
Allison-Heard he was considering crossing to the VAFA with Bernards after being dropped for the Grand Final after every game last year. Definitely a spot still for him
Purcell-One of their best in the Grand Final. No need to ask. Training with Essendon VFL
King-Establishing himself in the seniors & was in great form before a nasty wrist injury ended his year, only for him to return for the ressies in the finals, managing 8 goals in 2 games. Has what it takes, needs to steer clear of the injury room.

BurgerDon,
Who are you, as your all over it...

Can you tell us what acts Warne preformed on that Adelaide chick as you know a hell of a lot buddy.. C'mon enlighten us all... Lol

Great work..

G'day Mick,

As well as keeping 95% of last years list Marby have also recruited....

Jake Reeves ( Big ruckman, Kyabram BnF winner )
Shaun Wyatt ( W'Town Vfl Reserve BnF winner )
Jackson Barling
Steven White
Marcus White
Jimmy Hollow
Brendan Keast is as good as a new recruit, playing only 3 games last year due to injury.
Have also recruited for depth.

They had a terrible run with injuries last season so will be looking at the 4-6 ladder position.

It's also great to see a lot of development in the younger players.

Not sure about being above Pacco but will
Be far from the relegation battle they were in last season.

As well as keeping 95% of last years list Marby have also recruited....

Jake Reeves ( Big ruckman, Kyabram BnF winner )
Shaun Wyatt ( W'Town Vfl Reserve BnF winner )
Jackson Barling
Steven White
Marcus White
Jimmy Hollow
Brendan Keast is as good as a new recruit, playing only 3 games last year due to injury.
Have also recruited for depth.

They had a terrible run with injuries last season so will be looking at the 4-6 ladder position.

It's also great to see a lot of development in the younger players.

Not sure about being above Pacco but will
Be far from the relegation battle they were in last season.

G'day Weeney,I wish them well.

Shaun Whyatt will go well and top kid.. Play him in the mid field as his super fit and courageous. The guys in the Den will like him..

Hollow good pick up as although a bit older gives you everything.

How is Robbie Ball tracking as missed a lot of footy in 2014. Whyatt decided on Marby over a couple of other clubs due to being good friends of Robbie from when they were at Willy.

I hope the club gives Stephen White more opportunities than when he was last there. Full credit to him for going back to Marby. Another good kid..who should be a regular senior player..

That's what I'm saying mate all these kids should be playing 10 games in senior EDFL as a minimum but they won't as so many big names are brought in! These are all kids that have played most of if not all of there juniors at the club! They deserve opportunities! So some of these kids will play vfl 2nds or vfl and then play twos at abers or greenvale tough ask for the kids these days

That's what I'm saying mate all these kids should be playing 10 games in senior EDFL as a minimum but they won't as so many big names are brought in! These are all kids that have played most of if not all of there juniors at the club! They deserve opportunities! So some of these kids will play vfl 2nds or vfl and then play twos at abers or greenvale tough ask for the kids these days

Ok here are the facts.
Anyone who is playing either seniors or dev level at a side like Willy is definitely good enough to play EDFL premier at any club as they have a strong dev squad.
But at clubs like Werribee, Bullants, Coburg the dev squads are not as strong so agree some players are not as good as the EDFL players.
This is fact!!!

That's why some guys talk themselves up because the played VFL development and want $$, but clubs need to be smart and do some digging first as some are duds..

Example 1 - Shaun Wyatt now at Marby. Just couldn't get a regular senior game and played mostly dev level. Will go very well in premier level and didn't go asking for big dollars or to the highest bidder. Went to play with a mate..

*Another good example is Jake Polizzi at Pacco. Went to try his luck at Will in 2012-2013 but couldn't get 1 senior game after some really good dev games. But this kid can play and showed his talent last year after playing in Div1 for a few years prior to Willy. Players like Jake should never play EDFL reserves or play in the lower divisions as way to much ability. This comp hasn't seen the best of him either in my opinion..

Example 2 - Big Dimmatino who played at Avondale last year. Was playing twos at Marby a few years back whilst VFL listed at Coburg. Just a player and hasn't done much at EDFL level...

Ok here are the facts.
Anyone who is playing either seniors or dev level at a side like Willy is definitely good enough to play EDFL premier at any club as they have a strong dev squad.
But at clubs like Werribee, Bullants, Coburg the dev squads are not as strong so agree some players are not as good as the EDFL players.
This is fact!!!

That's why some guys talk themselves up because the played VFL development and want $$, but clubs need to be smart and do some digging first as some are duds..

Example 1 - Shaun Wyatt now at Marby. Just couldn't get a regular senior game and played mostly dev level. Will go very well in premier level and didn't go asking for big dollars or to the highest bidder. Went to play with a mate..

*Another good example is Jake Polizzi at Pacco. Went to try his luck at Will in 2012-2013 but couldn't get 1 senior game after some really good dev games. But this kid can play and showed his talent last year after playing in Div1 for a few years prior to Willy. Players like Jake should never play EDFL reserves or play in the lower divisions as way to much ability. This comp hasn't seen the best of him either in my opinion..

Example 2 - Big Dimmatino who played at Avondale last year. Was playing twos at Marby a few years back whilst VFL listed at Coburg. Just a player and hasn't done much at EDFL level...

Another example is Sortino at Coburg. Now if he was to go back to EDFL at Keilor he wouldn't get a game as they have Browne and Sortino is really only a bulky ruckman.
So they also need to show some brains and explore options as to what premier teams (or other leagues) need a ruckman so they get more game time and some $$.

PS: I watched him play against Willy last year in the seniors and actually surprised me and did ok on big Messe (who is a gun) but his only a ruckman and bit bulky & one paced..

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back