The Grover

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Not sure how interesting U16 div 1 will be in 2016.

The strong are getting much stronger, Hillside ( undefeated U14 Div 1 2014 ), Abers, Keilor.

EDFL will have a tough job figuring out which teams will make-up this Div 1, and how many teams in it.

Remembering in U14 Div 1 in 2014 they went with 5 teams after grading.

Player transfers I know of :

Leo Harrison - WRFL to Hillside ( in jets squad )
David Fruscalzo - RDFL to Hillside ( in jets squad ), apparently had the better of Tye Browning in a jets/cannons match last yr
Josh Klaromenos - Douttas to Hillside ( this is a possibility, not confirmed )
Peter Georgostathis - EK to Hillside
Ismail Moussa - West Coburg to Abers

Not sure how interesting U16 div 1 will be in 2016.

The strong are getting much stronger, Hillside ( undefeated U14 Div 1 2014 ), Abers, Keilor.

EDFL will have a tough job figuring out which teams will make-up this Div 1, and how many teams in it.

Remembering in U14 Div 1 in 2014 they went with 5 teams after grading.

Player transfers I know of :

Leo Harrison - WRFL to Hillside ( in jets squad )
David Fruscalzo - RDFL to Hillside ( in jets squad ), apparently had the better of Tye Browning in a jets/cannons match last yr
Josh Klaromenos - Douttas to Hillside ( this is a possibility, not confirmed )
Peter Georgostathis - EK to Hillside
Ismail Moussa - West Coburg to Abers

Yes will be interesting to see how good Hillside actually are? I hear they have recruited a few kids from the WRFL but have no idea how good they are?
I'm also interested to see how they go as they had a lot of boys that were reasonably mature bodies as 14yr olds, I would suspect some of those boys re Hasik and Nardone etc won't have got any taller or faster, whereas I would expect a few of the better Abers, Keilor, Strathmore boys whom are now top age 16s will have certainly grown and improved
Abers have a heap of kids still at Cannons at this point as do Keilor with Jets so those 2 clubs will be looking at the latter half of the year when their stars return to get a real good gauge of where Hillside maybe at?

Agree with anaverageplayer that size and speed will make a big difference this year with Hillside.

Don't know much about the ins and outs at clubs but pretty sure Moussa isn't at Abers although he'd be a good pickup for any of the teams in the top division.

Hillside have been the standout in this age group since Under 12's so think it will be up to the other sides to step up - that said Keilor only missed by a fraction at under 14 level to beat the unbeaten.

I think this year will be more about who has the good players back and up at running at the pointy end of the season more so than winning games during the year - a number of the real guns of the competition will miss most of the home and away with either school footy or Vic metro commitments so the teams with depth will be the ones who make finals and then push deep into finals.

Hillside have been the standout in this age group since Under 12's so think it will be up to the other sides to step up - that said Keilor only missed by a fraction at under 14 level to beat the unbeaten.

I think this year will be more about who has the good players back and up at running at the pointy end of the season more so than winning games during the year - a number of the real guns of the competition will miss most of the home and away with either school footy or Vic metro commitments so the teams with depth will be the ones who make finals and then push deep into finals.

Fevolution14 I think you are spot on, Abers and Keilor have a few kids that are absolute jets and will be hard to cover come finals time for the other sides

No Div 1 comp should have 5 teams. Should be 8 every year.
Agree that's an 8 team Div 1 comp is a minimum. Gets to be a farce when it gets to 5 teams - even the grading process is terrible given they do it over the first couple of rounds.

Question has to be who are the clubs that should make up Div 1?

Hillside
Keilor
Aberfeldie
Craigeburn

Are the locks for me but not sure who else - all of these clubs have really strong representation at either jets or cannons both at u16 and u15 age groups.

The best of the rest for me are:

Strathmore - seem to lose players as they progress through the age groups but have a strong development view put in place over the past season or two so should be ok in the long term - just not sure for now
Moonee Valley - won Div 2 last year
West Coburg - have traditionally been a strong div 1 club but concerns if good players like moussa are rumoured to move
EDS - hard to believe that the dominant under 16 div 1 club of the past 5 years appears to struggle - maybe the recruiting policy has turned on them
West Meadows - finished 2015 in div 1
Marby Park - started this age group in div 1 in the 14's but dropped out quickly

Any other thoughts out there?

Agree that's an 8 team Div 1 comp is a minimum. Gets to be a farce when it gets to 5 teams - even the grading process is terrible given they do it over the first couple of rounds.

Question has to be who are the clubs that should make up Div 1?

Hillside
Keilor
Aberfeldie
Craigeburn

Are the locks for me but not sure who else - all of these clubs have really strong representation at either jets or cannons both at u16 and u15 age groups.

The best of the rest for me are:

Strathmore - seem to lose players as they progress through the age groups but have a strong development view put in place over the past season or two so should be ok in the long term - just not sure for now
Moonee Valley - won Div 2 last year
West Coburg - have traditionally been a strong div 1 club but concerns if good players like moussa are rumoured to move
EDS - hard to believe that the dominant under 16 div 1 club of the past 5 years appears to struggle - maybe the recruiting policy has turned on them
West Meadows - finished 2015 in div 1
Marby Park - started this age group in div 1 in the 14's but dropped out quickly

Any other thoughts out there?

Strong senior clubs over a long period like Greenvale, Strathmore & Douttas should be forced to play div1 juniors. It shouldn't be there choice the league should make them play div1. The other spot could be open for the div2 champions to go up maybe..
Pacco, Marby, West Coburg, Airport West should be in div2

Strong senior clubs over a long period like Greenvale, Strathmore & Douttas should be forced to play div1 juniors. It shouldn't be there choice the league should make them play div1. The other spot could be open for the div2 champions to go up maybe..
Pacco, Marby, West Coburg, Airport West should be in div2
Greenvale, Strathmore, Moonee Valley, last spot don't know.

Not sure about losing players, they have three full teams this year for the first time in a long time. They will be very competitive in Div 1. A lot of work has gone into the development programme which will start to pay dividends in all junior grades this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for the start of the season, looks like most clubs will get there TAC boys back by round 1 so should be some cracking games early, TAC finishes early April for the U16s, it will then only be those boys who may play Vic metro who will be missing, I'd Suggest Bytel, Abers, Taylor Keilor, West Strathmore and Tye Browning from Craigieburn, not sure about the others
A couple of questions for you all out there
Have Hillside got any boys that should play Vic Metro?
Can anyone tell me how Rhylee West and Curtis Taylor are coming along after both having been injured for most of last year?

Can't wait for the start of the season, looks like most clubs will get there TAC boys back by round 1 so should be some cracking games early, TAC finishes early April for the U16s, it will then only be those boys who may play Vic metro who will be missing, I'd Suggest Bytel, Abers, Taylor Keilor, West Strathmore and Tye Browning from Craigieburn, not sure about the others
Can anyone tell me how Rhylee West and Curtis Taylor are coming along after both having been injured for most of last year?

Hillside have 7 remaining at the Jets with all capable of playing good footy, so we will wait and see

So if i read this correctly, your suggesting players that haven't played for a while as they've been injured, will make the State team then you ask how they're going? That's a strange post. FWIW West hasn't played any Cannons games yet due to injury.

Cannons v Jets U16 practice match Sat 19/3 at highgate.

Jets have trimmed there squad to 30, Cannons still have 42.

They will also play in the metro champs in school holidays.

Jets easily won u15 matches against cannons last year. I don't know how close to full strength both squads were in those matches.

No not for a minute am I suggesting those boys will make the state team, I did say they May play, which I think is a reasonable assumption given the quality of players of those boys in question
Will be an interesting match this Saturday Cannons V Jets, we might then have a better idea of what boys are going to shine from what clubs?

I heard there's a lot of boys missing from both teams with school footy etc
Marby college away at the moment - up at the Gold Coast not sure when back - half a dozen kids across both sides maybe - they were the lot that became bid Sauce Merretts unofficial cheer squad last week

Not sure about pegs and other school sport requirements

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL U16 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back