Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

Our recruiting staff have done well.
HH, Richards are going to be stars.
Love Parker as well.

People complaining about the big KPF's are delusional. They are not available at our picks.
We would need to tank. I prefer being up there every year.
We just won a flag this way.

I’ve seen worse debuts. Much worse. And he was thrown around by Fly as our players went down.

I hope he is kept in the team, or at least given another chance this year - subject to getting more senior players back at which point he will make way.

Harrison and Richards were playing their roles really well in VFL and had time and composure with the ball in hand, which has translated up into the AFL.

Ed's been rushed at VFL. Perhaps his running and positioning is better and more valuable than I think, but I couldn't work out the selection over Macrae - and I'm someone who doesn't rate Macrae.
I think you'll find this is exactly the reason he was picked. Running and positioning. Disposal count doesn't really come into it. We were looking for a WHE type, especially with Markov also out. I think he did ok and provided something Macrae would not have - similar reason he played ahead of Parker.

Will never have the aerial ability of WHE, but the rest is tracking ok. Not sure he plays much more this year though, outside of of continued ling injury list.

Ed has at least three things in his favour - height, endurance and speed.
Which could be why he was picked ahead of Fin.

Well his height is a non factor because he doesn’t use it, not that good in the air re marking so him being tall means nothing. This is the part he needs to improve, this is what separates the tall mids from the average size mids

Our recruiting staff have done well.
HH, Richards are going to be stars.
Love Parker as well.

People complaining about the big KPF's are delusional. They are not available at our picks.
We would need to tank. I prefer being up there every year.
We just won a flag this way.

We're already tanking for Ned Long in the MSD so wouldn't be too much of a stretch to tank the rest of the year and get a top 8 pick.

His approach to the game in the conditions was really good, actually I was impressed with the intent of quite a few like DeMattia and Dean. The thing with Ed is, he must get this wild, panicked handball into space out of his game. Also the occasional sloppy handball as well. It's so poor, it's holding his whole game back. Sort that out and he probably has enough going for him to make the level. Also, very interested in what would happen if he played off half-back.

The issue with Fly using that phrase “he’s well above the VFL level” is the exact same thing he said about Macrae…and then has proceeded to barely pick him and when he does it’s mostly as sub or limited game time.

He’s got to start trusting the younger guys with more responsibilities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with Fly using that phrase “he’s well above the VFL level” is the exact same thing he said about Macrae…and then has proceeded to barely pick him and when he does it’s mostly as sub or limited game time.

Have you watched macrae play? Even in the vfl he lacks pace, and resorts to dump kicks or turnovers out of stoppage. That doesn’t cut it in the seniors. He doesn’t have the speed, strength or decision making for the seniors. He can find the ball at vfl. Sadly so can many others. Tyler brown used to get 30 touches.

Allan in the past month has gone ahead of him. He’s breaking free from stoppage and doesn’t hack kick it out. He makes space. That’s already a big difference

I don't like the phrase either, but more because Fly calls a good VFL game as being above the level - nah, it's a good game at the level. And if you extrapolated it to the AFL - we'd have about 8 blokes who are above AFL level - whereas only Nick is.

Macrae had enough AFL chances - he's not good enough yet and I don't really see the tools that will make him good enough.

Haven't seen each of the games but I was glad to hear McRae reiterate that his selection has been earned. This is not a "play the kids" moment for us.

The increase in his stats over the past few weeks has been very promising in the VFL. Hope he gets another full go at it on Friday.

i think he is definitely more ready this time than he was for his debut game against Freo.
had a solid month or so of performances

i think he is definitely more ready this time than he was for his debut game against Freo.
had a solid month or so of performances
And looks like he knows how to play inside more than the wing role where he was a bit of a space cadet at VFL - and really hadn't justified a game in the role.

And looks like he knows how to play inside more than the wing role where he was a bit of a space cadet at VFL - and really hadn't justified a game in the role.
I just hope we commit to at least giving him a bit of time inside tomorrow night. Nothing annoys me more than seeing someone performing well at VFL level in a role and then come in to the seniors and shuffled into another position and struggles to impact.

I just hope we commit to at least giving him a bit of time inside tomorrow night. Nothing annoys me more than seeing someone performing well at VFL level in a role and then come in to the seniors and shuffled into another position and struggles to impact.
This, play him through the guts in bursts, give him the reigns. We have a massive advantage with our on field coach, Scotty P giving him some pointers in real time. Ed is the type of player we need to come on. If he can mix it with Viney and the ginge, time is now.

I think he'll only play inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back