Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I think we will lose Hurley.
Just not to Collingwood.

Swans, Doggies or Freo are the best chances, IMO.

If there has been one thing that has been consistently repeated throughout, it's that he doesn't want to leave Victoria. So the Dogs would still fit that category, along with being a team up the pointy end of the ladder. Can they afford him though?

I need to do further research on the vexed issue of future picks - I hope I can find a definitive answer.
pretty sure the rule is 2x 1st rd picks taken in a 4 year period, starting with the draft last year (2014 i don't believe counts, in which they took De Goey and Moore). So they are required to either find another 1st rd pick in 2018 before they can trade 2017, or run the risk of AFL imposing a penalty on future trading of future picks.

Cos im bored; club by club price list for Hurls:
Adel: 1st & 2nd Rd Pick + Reilly O'Brien
Bris: Pick 2
Carl: Pick 4/5
Coll: Sidebottom
Frem: Pick 3
Geel: 2017 1st rd, Blicavs & Clark
GCS: Pick 4/5
GWS: C'Wood & Geelong 1st rd picks 2016
Hawks: O'Brien & 1st rd pick
Dees: Hibberd & Hurls for Oliver & Weideman :D
Roos: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Port: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Rich: Pick 6
StK: 1st Rd pick & Acres
Swans: Rohan, X.Richards, Nankervis & 1st rd pick
Dogs: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Eagles: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks

Been thinking about the lack of communication coming from Hurley. The only conclusions I can come to as a cause for his communicative delays are:

a) The team he wants to join will be playing finals and as such, won't declare anything until they're out of the rat race
b) He is still undertaking contract negotiations with EFC

As much as it frustrates me to say it, I reckon if he wanted to come back that the club and his manager would have come to a deal sooner than this.

If he is gone, we should seriously enquire with our players about dropping Connors as their Managers. His best interests are making big money, nothing else.

Cos im bored; club by club price list for Hurls:
Adel: 1st & 2nd Rd Pick + Reilly O'Brien
Bris: Pick 2
Carl: Pick 4/5
Coll: Sidebottom
Frem: Pick 3
GCS: Pick 4/5
GWS: C'Wood & Geelong 1st rd picks 2016
Hawks: O'Brien & 1st rd pick
Dees: Hibberd & Hurls for Oliver & Weideman
Roos: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Port: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Rich: Pick 6
StK: 1st Rd pick & Acres
Swans: Rohan, X.Richards, Nankervis & 1st rd pick
Dogs: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Eagles: 2016 & 2017 1st rd picks
Kidding ourselves with a lot of those. Demons, Saints and Swans straight up get screwed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been thinking about the lack of communication coming from Hurley. The only conclusions I can come to as a cause for his communicative delays are:

a) The team he wants to join will be playing finals and as such, won't declare anything until they're out of the rat race

As much as it frustrates me to say it, I reckon if he wanted to come back that the club and his manager would have come to a deal sooner than this.

If he is gone, we should seriously enquire with our players about dropping Connors as their Managers. His best interests are making big money, nothing else.
c) Connors is trying to maximize his commission (4% on contract $ amount and 20% on additional endorsements)

Kidding ourselves with a lot of those. Demons, Saints and Swans straight up get screwed
yeah i know. Dees one in particular :p But i struggled to find anything else of any decent value to us.
Not sure the Saints would baulk at pick 9-11 & Acres for Hurley given the status of their list.

in his defence (And Hibberd's too), they've just been on a well deserved break from all things work related. Given the 3 years they've been through, i wouldn't begrudge him time to clear his head (Jobe too).
If I was the club, i would have said here is our offer, go away & enjoy yourself, come back and we'll discuss the finer points.
Like XC and Woosha have said, they have to be 100% committed to the club when they return.
If there isn't an announcement by this time next week, then i think we have lost both of them.

The only way his value is compromised is if he nominates a club and insists on being traded to that club.

If he is like Carlisle and does the right thing by us his value will not be diminished.
Seems like with Collingwood's emergence for Hurley that the Doggies have been forgotten. It's a good thing the Pies are interested if he's moving. The only problem is if he does a Ryder and nominates a club and that club only.

in his defence (And Hibberd's too), they've just been on a well deserved break from all things work related. Given the 3 years they've been through, i wouldn't begrudge him time to clear his head (Jobe too).
If I was the club, i would have said here is our offer, go away & enjoy yourself, come back and we'll discuss the finer points.
Like XC and Woosha have said, they have to be 100% committed to the club when they return.
If there isn't an announcement by this time next week, then i think we have lost both of them.

Yeah, I disagree with you on the bolded. It makes sense, but in my opinion, they have had more than enough time.

From a real-world perspective, this isn't a hobby- or passion-based decision we are talking about. It is an employment-based decision. This is their job and they have had a lot of flexibility and time to make a decision. Every additional day that they take to make their intentions clear is also a day closer to deadline draft decisions that the club needs to make.

There is a significant amount of money that hinges on their decisions, and I figure, if the player wants to bank their pay cheques, (which I am sure that they are doing overseas whilst they clear their heads), then they should probably earn it. In this case, earning it is letting EFC know your intentions ASAP so that we can plan for an upcoming season with or without them.

It really shouldn't be that hard.

[Y/N] Playing at Essendon in 2016/17?
[ ] If no, please indicate the club(s) that you wish to play for so that we can facilitate a trade on your behalf: ____________________

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back