Egan versus Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: egan vs taylor

Completely different players. Might as well compare Milburn to Scarlett.

But Taylor is better. Egan could in theory have been amazing if he had continued playing, but he had one good year, Taylor has had 2 and continues. That, and he helped us win an amazingly tight grand final through sheer determination/.

No comparison.
Scarlett = Toe-poke to Ablett
Milburn = Passionate brain-fade to shot-on-goal to opposition
:D

Nope.

Egan was the gorilla who took the biggest forward. Just like Lonergan. He was better than Lonergan at getting involved in the play, but his primary job was to stop the biggest key forward.

If you look at Geelong 2007 vs Geelong 2011, a rough comparison of the roles that players had would be:

Scarlett 2007 = Scarlett 2011
Egan 2007 = Lonergan 2011
Harley 2007 = Taylor 2011

I am not saying that they play exactly the same roles, but it is the best approximation of roles if you are trying to compare 2007 to 2011.
Not sure I agree with that... I think our defensive setup has completely changed since 07. In 07 we were happy to play Scarlett & Egan as our only genuine key defenders. Harley has finished taking on power forwards by 07, Egan would take the roamer and Scarlett would take a deeper tall. I think Milburn took more key forwards than Harley in 07. Scarlett was definitely more of a Full Back in 07 than he is now, and Taylor is without a doubt more of a stopper than Harley ever was.

regulary toweled up? he wouldnt even average two goals a game against his name, what a garbage comment

Cloke rubs his hands together everytime taylor goes near him, same with buddy. He is actually pretty close to lonergan in one on one defending but has better rebound skills. On this board he is vastly over rated. I would hate to see him one out again cloke or franklin in the finals or even someone like pavlich or goodes

Cloke rubs his hands together everytime taylor goes near him, same with buddy. He is actually pretty close to lonergan in one on one defending but has better rebound skills. On this board he is vastly over rated. I would hate to see him one out again cloke or franklin in the finals or even someone like pavlich or goodes

Harry deserved a Norm Smith in 2009 for his GF performance on Riewoldt. Was, in my book, BOG that day.

Harry is a fine player with great hands. And he stands up when it counts 9 times out of 10.

I think you're being a bit tough on him

Harry deserved a Norm Smith in 2009 for his GF performance on Riewoldt. Was, in my book, BOG that day.

Harry is a fine player with great hands. And he stands up when it counts 9 times out of 10.

I think you're being a bit tough on him

franklin doesnt even average 2 goals a game against geelong, and cloke barely did a thing earlier this year, cloke has never kicked a big bag against taylor, i have no idea what your taking if you think franklin has ever toweled up taylor when he never kicks bags against us

taylor held franklin to two goals in the 08 GF, and he has developed a lot since then

taylor has played in two grand finals against two of the AFL's best key forwards the entire game and had a combine total of 3 goals kicked on him

beaten comprehensively my arse

franklin doesnt even average 2 goals a game against geelong, and cloke barely did a thing earlier this year, cloke has never kicked a big bag against taylor, i have no idea what your taking if you think franklin has ever toweled up taylor when he never kicks bags against us

taylor held franklin to two goals in the 08 GF, and he has developed a lot since then

taylor has played in two grand finals against two of the AFL's best key forwards the entire game and had a combine total of 3 goals kicked on him

beaten comprehensively my arse

Franklin towelled up harry near the start of the year against the hawks, lonegan had to be moved onto him. Lonergan has to play on cloke as cloke makes harry look second rate. He was also ordinary near the back end of last year.

Good player harry, but defensively he is not even in the same ballpark as Egan

Franklin towelled up harry near the start of the year against the hawks, lonegan had to be moved onto him. Lonergan has to play on cloke as cloke makes harry look second rate. He was also ordinary near the back end of last year.

Good player harry, but defensively he is not even in the same ballpark as Egan

he kicked two goals on him, both where junk like crumbing goals over the back of the pack in the first quarter, wasnt beaten 1 on 1 once, if two goals is being toweled up, then tommy hawkins has ripped a part a lot of defenders in his time also:eek:

like i said cloke franklin riewoldt, none of those 3 have ever kicked a big bag against taylor, if you think getting 2-3 goals on the odd occasion being kicked on you is a towel up then your on another planet, from memory it was actually egan who got the worst performance to his name by cloke, got 4 goals kicked on him in the 07 prelim.

he kicked two goals on him, both where junk like crumbing goals over the back of the pack in the first quarter, wasnt beaten 1 on 1 once, if two goals is being toweled up, then tommy hawkins has ripped a part a lot of defenders in his time also:eek:

like i said cloke franklin riewoldt, none of those 3 have ever kicked a big bag against taylor, if you think getting 2-3 goals on the odd occasion being kicked on you is a towel up then your on another planet, from memory it was actually egan who got the worst performance to his name by cloke, got 4 goals kicked on him in the 07 prelim.

Thats because taylor is moved once goals are kicked on him.

from memory it was actually egan who got the worst performance to his name by cloke, got 4 goals kicked on him in the 07 prelim.

Considering the last game Egan ever played was Round 22 2007....

This other dude is right though, Harry cops a few towellings here and there. He's not the absolute rock people make him out to be. I love the kid; he's one of my favourite players. But he's a tad on the overrated side on this board.

Is Egan still doing some coaching/work around the club?

Yes, he's a development coach working mainly with the VFL squad.

Has had a lot to do with Poodle among others (hence why he got the 19) and does some match day coaching when Amos is unavailable due to senior commitments.

Considering the last game Egan ever played was Round 22 2007....

This other dude is right though, Harry cops a few towellings here and there. He's not the absolute rock people make him out to be. I love the kid; he's one of my favourite players. But he's a tad on the overrated side on this board.

meant during the year, pretty sure i can recall egan being beaten by cloke having 4 kicked,, it would have been sometime during the year in 07

like i said having 2 goals kicked here and there isnt toweled up, especially 2 crumbing goals like the franklin ones, if you call this being "toweled up" then give me some of what your smoking please, if i defender gets 4+ goals kicked on him for the length of the game then hes beaten, not two goals in a quarter... i dont judge defenders games in patches i judge the overall game, anyone can have two goals kicked on them with a little luck against you

some of the stupidity that he gets toweled up on the basis of two crumbing goals in a quarter and cloke barely averaging 2 a game against him is pretty rediculous lol

im using this logic, tommy hawkins has ripped many defenders a new arseh*le, he has many baggs of two goals to his name, often in the same quarter :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hard to know how good Egan could have been - he played so few games. Imagine another 2-3 pre-seasons under his belt and another 50 games experience in such a good team ???

I think of all the players we have lost since 2007 - he is the most important (bar Ablett) and hardest to replace.

Even if he had developed only just a little but more on the 2007 season/form - he would have been our Cloke type player but at CHB. Hard to see us losing the 2008 GF with him in the team and Scarlett consequently freed up.

Imagine Taylor and Egan in the same side (might have happened) ? (Still reckon Taylor could be a switch player and be an effective forward when required).

To lose Egan so early was cruel for him, GFC and the footy public generally

PS. Thinking about it - I reckon we would be a red hot chance of winning the GF this year if we had the team we have now - plus Egan and Ablett to pick.

Egan for me, don't forget how good he was. His last game is a perfect example he destroyed Brown and once he went off Brown kicked 7. Both great players, Egan was so unlucky, but of course Wells found us the perfect replacement

Egan for me, don't forget how good he was. His last game is a perfect example he destroyed Brown and once he went off Brown kicked 7. Both great players, Egan was so unlucky, but of course Wells found us the perfect replacement

Agree with all of that - but Taylor is no Egan. Different shapes and size. So in that regard he is not a perfect replacement (nor is Lonergan but closer in physique) for Egan.

Egan would be perfect for Cloke or Dawes or Jonathan Brown - while Taylor is not so suited to these gorilla type CHFs.

Taylor is a really good player - don't get me wrong and he was a significant contributor in the '09 GF win. What more can ask than that ? - and then have to learn AFL standard at such an incredibly fast pace. Fantastic pick up by Wells.

And such a solid citizen - a real Geelong person who will be with us until retirement (is my best guess). In the leadership group, presents well and articulate.

But you can't help thinking what it would if the two played together in this Geelong team of a century ?

Maybe Bathie will be a cross between the two ? He is tall like Egan but not as solid - and he moves a bit more like Taylor and can take a mark (in the twos at any rate).

Who knows if Bathie makes significant improvement next year by 2013 he could be a genuine CHB that can play on a gorilla or play on a Riewoldt type ?

It is within the realm of possibility from what he has shown so far.

Or perhaps Lonergan will even improve his game and go to another level - and then you start getting someone close to an Egan.

Taylor.

Scarlett.

from memory it was actually egan who got the worst performance to his name by cloke, got 4 goals kicked on him in the 07 prelim.

Your memory is wrong, he kicked 3. On Milburn, no less.

Get back on your meds, you crazy person.

Body on body Lonergan is definitely better than Harry, but Harry has a good fist when he doesn't engage. Playing from behind, he's one of the few that can spoil Buddy - just times it so well.

And believe it or not, GC26 is correct in saying that Cloke kicked 4.1 on Egan earlier in the year. Was probably the only time Matty was beaten all year too.

Saw Egan walking around KP the other day, actually walking. No boot, no limp, made me wonder if there is ANY hope at all he could run again, let alone play footy. Now that would be the miracle.

Egan was amazing in 07. Recall a game against Dogs at Etihad, 2nd time we played them, Scarlett was out, Egan was superb. Excellent at actually nullifying tall marking key forwards, exactly what we need in the next few years. Lonergan is great. Taylor is elegant and great to watch, but does rely on more help than Egan would have. Taylor is a nicer kick. Love them both. Glad we have Taylor. Would never have had him if Egan didn't go down. Would not have won in 09 if we didn't have Taylor.

recall that as well :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Egan versus Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back