Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is now it looks like two GM's of football have decided he is no good in the role but their are a good number of people in the club that think he is good and that he got duded by the saga and we had a premiership list with 7 AA on it. As long as a good percentage of the board think he is actually good we now have to wait another 5 years to find out.
There are a good number of people at the club who like him and are willing to excuse mediocre results by blaming everyone and everything else.

I think whoever said he is good at relationships is probably right. He's persuasive, he knows what people want, and he's good at delivering that at least on a 1 to 1 basis. But being able to throw the right bone to the right dog at the right time doesn't mean all those elements work together, and we're still at the point of blaming the coaches and development staff.

Every time it's some combination of "the list is fine...:
  • but the coach just needs to magic up a game plan suited to a fleet of same-ish front-running 6ft midfielders and...
    • 2022: paper over the gap where the small forwards should be
    • 2021: paper over the gap where the tall defenders should be
    • 2020: paper over the gap where the tall forwards should be
    • 2019: paper over the gap where the small defenders should be
    • 2018: paper over the gap where the rucks should be
    • 2017: paper over the gap where the fleet-footed wingmen should be
    • etc.
  • and the coach has a premiership game plan we stole from Richmond/Melbourne/whatever but can't communicate it because either the coach is stupid or the players are dumb (players aren't dumb coz Dodoro hand-picked them)"
  • and the coach has a premiership game plan we stole from Richmond/Melbourne/whatever but needs more development staff to turn the players into something they're not (can't be wrong coz the list is fine), so that the game plan will work"

Somehow, it's always someone else's fault that a random assortment of leftover puzzle pieces don't fit together. The list build is always reactionary. There's no depth to cover gaps as they inevitably open up, no real succession planning until it's too late.

As much as I don't think Dodoro is the right guy for a list build, I still don't like Richardson. Dodoro is quite capable of driving a bargain if he isn't being undermined, and Campbell was an enabler of that. One of the things Dodoro is actually good at and should generally be left to manage.

****ing Dodoro ... I bet he starts wearing a triple popped collar coz he thinks he's been promoted to a 3-star general under the CEO
what a snake

probably works in Scott's favour the most, as he now has Vozzo's direct ear. He can move to really re-shape the football department based on what he sees fits and potentially oust both Mahoney and Dodoro.

******* Dodoro ... I bet he starts wearing a triple popped collar coz he thinks he's been promoted to a 3-star general under the CEO
what a snake

probably works in Scott's favour the most, as he now has Vozzo's direct ear. He can move to really re-shape the football department based on what he sees fits and potentially oust both Mahoney and Dodoro.
Last time Scott had anything to say about taking the job at Essendon he seemed to speak favourably about Mahoney, about assurances Mahoney had made, about support that Mahoney would give, so that Scott could focus on the football and not having to be a media monkey.

And for his part, Mahoney was pretty well spoken when talking about the review, what had happened, and what needed to happen, spoke glowingly of the appointment and was in fact the guy chairing the coach selection panel that picked Scott.

If Scott gets to decide I don't think he'd be in a position where he'd necessarily want either of them out, as it doesn't sound like he's on bad terms with either of them (not that we're particularly clear on how he relates with Dodoro, there hasn't been anything said nor any leaks to indicate either way). But I'm sure he'd want everyone on the same page and in their own lane so he doesn't have to deal with the b.s.

There are a good number of people at the club who like him and are willing to excuse mediocre results by blaming everyone and everything else.

I think whoever said he is good at relationships is probably right. He's persuasive, he knows what people want, and he's good at delivering that at least on a 1 to 1 basis. But being able to throw the right bone to the right dog at the right time doesn't mean all those elements work together, and we're still at the point of blaming the coaches and development staff.

Every time it's some combination of "the list is fine...:
  • but the coach just needs to magic up a game plan suited to a fleet of same-ish front-running 6ft midfielders and...
    • 2022: paper over the gap where the small forwards should be
    • 2021: paper over the gap where the tall defenders should be
    • 2020: paper over the gap where the tall forwards should be
    • 2019: paper over the gap where the small defenders should be
    • 2018: paper over the gap where the rucks should be
    • 2017: paper over the gap where the fleet-footed wingmen should be
    • etc.
  • and the coach has a premiership game plan we stole from Richmond/Melbourne/whatever but can't communicate it because either the coach is stupid or the players are dumb (players aren't dumb coz Dodoro hand-picked them)"
  • and the coach has a premiership game plan we stole from Richmond/Melbourne/whatever but needs more development staff to turn the players into something they're not (can't be wrong coz the list is fine), so that the game plan will work"

Somehow, it's always someone else's fault that a random assortment of leftover puzzle pieces don't fit together. The list build is always reactionary. There's no depth to cover gaps as they inevitably open up, no real succession planning until it's too late.

As much as I don't think Dodoro is the right guy for a list build, I still don't like Richardson. Dodoro is quite capable of driving a bargain if he isn't being undermined, and Campbell was an enabler of that. One of the things Dodoro is actually good at and should generally be left to manage.

Can we even grade him as ‘mediocre’ anymore? He’s been genuinely poor. We’ve performed well below average

I can't read the article on HS but Timmy calling for one of Dodoro or Mahoney to leave.

Wtf is Adrian still here ? Should of gone month's back. We changed so much of our structure but he's still here.
If they're quoting Timmy then it'll be SEN Breakfast. and there isn't much more to it than him saying he doesn't know anything about it but if what Garry told him is true then one has to leave, as it has already gone past the point of reconciling if it is so bad now that the lines of reporting had to be changed

From what I have heard, Dodoro and Mahoney were banging heads last year, but now it is almost unworkable. Smells of Sheedy to me.

Last time Scott had anything to say about taking the job at Essendon he seemed to speak favourably about Mahoney, about assurances Mahoney had made, about support that Mahoney would give, so that Scott could focus on the football and not having to be a media monkey.

And for his part, Mahoney was pretty well spoken when talking about the review, what had happened, and what needed to happen, spoke glowingly of the appointment and was in fact the guy chairing the coach selection panel that picked Scott.

If Scott gets to decide I don't think he'd be in a position where he'd necessarily want either of them out, as it doesn't sound like he's on bad terms with either of them (not that we're particularly clear on how he relates with Dodoro, there hasn't been anything said nor any leaks to indicate either way). But I'm sure he'd want everyone on the same page and in their own lane so he doesn't have to deal with the b.s.
Have posted this before - Scott and Mahoney have a relationship that goes back nearly 30 years. They are mates.

Doubt this about their ability or inability to work together.

I’m also unsure Scott ever had a clear reporting line to Mahoney. Feel like that was all very vague at the time of the appointment.

Have posted this before - Scott and Mahoney have a relationship that goes back nearly 30 years. They are mates.

I’m also unsure Scott ever had a clear reporting line to Mahoney. Feel like that was all very vague at the time of the appointment.

SKC together?

Its probably splitting the two so dodoro doesnt feel left out :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, Mahoney and Scott had a friendly relationship but Scott has been brought in not just to coach the team but "build a football programme". Go back through the press conferences and count how many times he said that.

Now that Scott has settled him, he's probably started seeing some of the political BS that's been going on. I'm not saying he's asked to be elevated directly to Vozzo, but it certainly helps his case to influence the footy department if he's not reporting into it.

I'll be surprised if Mahoney doesn't resign. Vozzo (ex club football department GM), Scott (ex AFL footy GM) and Dodoro (aspiring footy department GM) will all have their own thoughts on how his office should be run. He'll suffocate. Mind you, it would be remiss of Essendon not to utilise Scott's AFL footy GM experience in reshaping the footy department.

Senior coaches generally don’t report to anybody. Boards hire them, re contract them and sack them. Of course they need to work very well alongside a footy GM and a CEO, and be on the same page, but they’re not beholden to them or have a reporting line or anything. Anybody reporting that is wrong. Alongside the CEO they are the senior employee at the club.

Senior coaches generally don’t report to anybody. Boards hire them, re contract them and sack them. Of course they need to work very well alongside a footy GM and a CEO, and be on the same page, but they’re not beholden to them or have a reporting line or anything. Anybody reporting that is wrong. Alongside the CEO they are the senior employee at the club.
Although I think typically they would not be part of the clubs Executive where the Head of Footy would be. That’s as much a question as it is a statement - I’m unsure.

Can we even grade him as ‘mediocre’ anymore? He’s been genuinely poor. We’ve performed well below average

I still think so.

We've had a lot of other shit go wrong, such that drafting has been the least-bad aspect of the club for most of the last 2 decades.

When was the last time anyone would confidently say we had a development or coaching program that were inside the top half dozen of the league?

Midfield-wise he's failed to draft a balanced midfield for basically his entire tenure, though at least some of that is attributable to the coaching merry-go-round and a lack of clear demands from the coaching staff as to the kind of player they want given we saw changes being made at the end of 2021 in terms of how frequently the head coach (Rutten) was meeting with the list management team to try to clear up any disconnects here, which just seems bizarre that it was ever allowed to be at the point of being so disconnected.

I think Dodoro does have a good eye for talls (especially defenders), appears to be quite good at player retention given how few we've lost of the years despite all the turmoil, and does pretty well for the club at the trade table. None of which is worth keeping him around if he's actively undermining senior figures in the football department that have been brought in to change what is obviously an underperforming environment.

we saw changes being made at the end of 2021 in terms of how frequently the head coach (Rutten) was meeting with the list management team to try to clear up any disconnects here, which just seems bizarre that it was ever allowed to be at the point of being so disconnected.
I wonder if that's how Dodoro ends up in match committee, might've been Truck trying to get more cohesion so invites Dodoro to his meetings and invites himself to the list management meetings as well to try to produce alignment?

There's a cynical element though where that just creates another opportunity for chatter about the coach to spread to board and coterie members other than from first hand information. Like you can easily imagine Dodoro discussing with Sheedy about the difficulties Truck was having. Even if it's not machiavellian, it could be said from a place of wanting to help and get more support for development, and end up backfiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back