Ej whitten game crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rocca's goal was ridiculous. Loved Hutchy's goal as well. I like how they have gun local players like Sautner, Casset and that kid from Tassie, as well as having others in the past. That's a great move.

This thread's pretty funny... half of the people are saying the players took it too seriously, and the other half took the game too seriously themselves.

Stevens was awkward to watch the way he was playing hard. It was at least expected from Aker.

How the hell is Richard Champion in such good shape? The dude could still be playing.

Hutchy's first goal was amazing, whether you like the man or not (I don't). Showed more skill than 50% of footballers in the AFL today.

this. :thumbsu: Champion looks like he's spent the last X years since he retired in the gym and running!

The game has improved with the ex players being those out of it for a year or two (goody, aker etc).

thoroughly enjoyable spectacle for a tuesday night

Peter Hellier is GREAT for all the kids..They love him ! I know my 3 do. If you're an adult and cannot understand this.. ( like some of you here) Grow up !

A few too many celebrities for my liking;
  • Straunie.....kids love him and I find him amusing in this game, but nowhere else
  • Wippa (Who?).....adds nothing
  • Fitzy.....very likable and at least he has some ability
  • Hutchy.....okay as a one-off.
  • Russell Gilbert........time for him to pack it in. Excess to requirements and he is absolutely hopeless when it comes to playing.
  • The midget runner.....inappropriate and let's face it, he isn't funny.

To all the idiots requesting they take away the celebrities, specifically Straughnie, I ask you this:

Would the crowd have been 26k if they only had ex footballers playing? A lot of humour is provided by the commentary and cuts to the coaches and such on tv. That, as far as I am aware, isn't available at the ground unless you listen to Triple M. Just because you guys don't like Straughnie, perhaps you can swallow your pride for a minute and realise that this "unfunny comedian" is the highlight of the night for most of the kids at the ground? I personally found that he was past his use-by date back when he had a running series but now that he only comes out once a year it's not too bad.

To add in a response to Wilbur's recent post:

1) Yeah, I don't know who Wippa is so get him off
2) Russell Gilbert is definitely past it. Many years ago he wasn't bad because he was the main (and perhaps only) celebrity so he had a free run. These days he doesn't get any air time so I don't see what the point is
3) The midget got a few laughs.

Also what the EJ Whitten Legends Game does show us is that we need Channel 9 back in the commentary box, hopefully with BT. I do like the Bruce/Dennis/Watson/Matthews combination, as I reckon it's a good classic football call, but BT/Lyon/JB/Brownless really appeals to the younger generation and is darn good commentary too.

the highlight for me is seeing players who come back completely blimped out

ie: derek kickkett, byron pickett, monkhurst, scott cummmings

next year they really need to scope out ex players who are now fighting in the small sea vessel weight category and get them in.

this is what makes it funny

Pete Helliar is absolute stain on the match, his character was mildly funny 5 years ago, now it is downright old and washed up.

The crowd who booed Aker the match what a disgrace, it seems like the scum of Victorian society who was at this match, the absolute bogan rednecks. Shame on you

Pete Helliar is absolute stain on the match, his character was mildly funny 5 years ago, now it is downright old and washed up.

The crowd who booed Aker the match what a disgrace, it seems like the scum of Victorian society who was at this match, the absolute bogan rednecks. Shame on you

What rock have you been hiding under? Aker has been booed for years at every ground around Australia.

It's school holidays, cheaper so the absolute shitstains of society can attend...It's a shame that Teddy's match is associated with these cretins, but at least the money raise is for a good cause.

Just forget about that and try to take the match for what it is. Personally, i miss the early ones with the old retired guys playing. That was fantastic/.

I am very surprised most of you miss the point as to why there are celebrities playing.

They each have their own radio shows , tv shows and are out there because they bring awareness to the issue of prostate cancer , to each of their of their respective audience , weeks before the match.

That is why most of us on here will never be seen at an opening night function with our picture in the paper the next day.

Love them or hate them , they bring awareness to the cause.

Remember E J Whitten would most probably still be alive today , had he just had a prostate check.

Awareness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all the idiots requesting they take away the celebrities, specifically Straughnie, I ask you this:

Would the crowd have been 26k if they only had ex footballers playing? A lot of humour is provided by the commentary and cuts to the coaches and such on tv. That, as far as I am aware, isn't available at the ground unless you listen to Triple M. Just because you guys don't like Straughnie, perhaps you can swallow your pride for a minute and realise that this "unfunny comedian" is the highlight of the night for most of the kids at the ground? I personally found that he was past his use-by date back when he had a running series but now that he only comes out once a year it's not too bad.

To add in a response to Wilbur's recent post:

1) Yeah, I don't know who Wippa is so get him off
2) Russell Gilbert is definitely past it. Many years ago he wasn't bad because he was the main (and perhaps only) celebrity so he had a free run. These days he doesn't get any air time so I don't see what the point is
3) The midget got a few laughs.

you have a different idea to humour then me mate! the same old boring jokes every year which were never funny in the first place. did you honestly laugh once? personal i would much rather see the old timers out there playing a semi-serious brand of footy showing off the skills which made them legends in the first place rather then the highly-scripted crap they put out there each year.

i agree its good for the celebrities do it for the charity but think the event would be much better (and therefore better for the charity) if done in a better way

It's school holidays, cheaper so the absolute shitstains of society can attend...It's a shame that Teddy's match is associated with these cretins, but at least the money raise is for a good cause.

Just forget about that and try to take the match for what it is. Personally, i miss the early ones with the old retired guys playing. That was fantastic/.

Maybe Teddy wouldn't want the peroxide blonde, brown goatee cretin playing in a match bearing his name. Teddy being the greatest ever Footscray/Western Bulldogs player.

Did laugh at Libba snr mock punching Aker when he was down on the ground. Brought back memories.

Three allstars took the mark in the forward pocket with 10 seconds to go.At least one should have been paid the mark.Not a bounce.
Anyway the game isn't over until the siren sounds ,regardless of the clock.
Fitzy kicked the ball brfore the siren.

Right in front of you? :p

I don't mind the celebs, they are there to increase awareness and it is meant to be about having some laughs more than win the game.

Hutchy was good, as unfunny as Strauchnie is to adults, young kids like him, especially the spawns of bogans.

It is all for a good cause. If Mick Martyn gets any rounder, he will be able to roll across the ground next year. His bump on the king was pretty funny though.

Three allstars took the mark in the forward pocket with 10 seconds to go.At least one should have been paid the mark.Not a bounce.
Anyway the game isn't over until the siren sounds ,regardless of the clock.
Fitzy kicked the ball brfore the siren.

come on guys, please tell me your not serious? the game is more scripted then the WWE...you would be better complaining the ref didnt see when Randy Savage smashed Hulk Hogan with the chair to win the title...

I just assumed "Wippa" and "Fitzy" were nicknames of former players that I had forgotten. Didn't know Russell Gilbert was even there.

Don't mind Strauchnie, given that I expect this is the one and only time I'll see him this year. And my kids thought he was funny.

I think some players (like Aker) just have too much of a competitive streak in them, and just can't help themselves but play full-on. I don't mind that though, if everyone's stuffing around the whole time it's actually a lot less interesting. A few passages of "proper" footy along the way is good for the whole spectacle.

come on guys, please tell me your not serious? the game is more scripted then the WWE...you would be better complaining the ref didnt see when Randy Savage smashed Hulk Hogan with the chair to win the title...

What are you inferring about the wrestling?:confused:

I just assumed "Wippa" and "Fitzy" were nicknames of former players that I had forgotten. Didn't know Russell Gilbert was even there.

Fitzy played for the Swans and Crows, whilst Wippa is a Nova identity. Fitzy actually works for Nova as well, but having been selected at pick 4 in the draft, he seems somewhat worthy of his spot in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ej whitten game crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back