Multiplat Elden Ring

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems a bit odd but it hasn't been confirmed yet. I don't play these games in co-op though so it doesn't really affect me. I'm going to go on a media blackout until the game is released but for those that don't, I think it might be better to wait for proper gameplay previews before making any assumptions. I've heard rumours from people I trust on other forums that this game will not be a defacto Dark Souls 4 and will be quite different from what we're used to.

Namco-Bandai's decision to play up the difficulty of Dark Souls for marketing purposes really did the games a disservice in terms of reaching a wider audience. They really aren't that hard if you understand the mechanics and they give the player numerous different ways to reduce difficulty.

I'm willing to pay Sekiro as being hard because you can't summon other players to help you in boss fights, and there is no overpowered magic build. The rest of them have an easy mode built into them.

Even Sekiro is easy enough, just block and wait for an opening slash once/twice and wait again.

Even Sekiro is easy enough, just block and wait for an opening slash once/twice and wait again.
I got through most of Sekiro fairly easily. The first fight with Genichiro held me up for a bit, and the last boss of the game held me up but that's to be expected. That wasn't really my point though. What I'm saying is Sekiro doesn't give you as much freedom to build your character, and doesn't let you summon for bosses. This means if you suck at the core mechanics, you're kinda screwed.

With Dark Souls, the game gives you options to make it a much easier experience. This is why it frustrates me that people keeping asking for an easy mode. It's already built into the damn game and people just aren't interested in learning the mechanics. They want to just select the difficulty from a menu. You would have thought after 6 games being released, people would get it through their heads that From Software aren't interested in pandering to lazy players. They design their games expecting the player to be involved and to pay some attention. It's a big part of what makes their games rewarding.

In my opinion the Soulsborne games really aren't that difficult but I realise difficulty is subjective. For me personally, I would say something like high level Tetris is ****ing difficult and some of those rogue-likes like FTL. I've spent ages with that game and still haven't even finished a run on the normal difficulty setting. That's my idea of hard. The Souls games are challenging but never feel impossible to me. I know I'll always make it through them if I persevere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like Dark Souls but you ride around on an elk, Mononoke style. It's like they are trying to cater to me personally.

tumblr_ng0fle8OaY1qcopb3o1_r1_1280.gif

Sheldon (ba)Zing(a)

My mate was initially a bit bummed when this game was announced, he prefers BB to DS but he said after seeing this trailer he is absolutely keen.
If anything it will play more like BB anyway. They upped the pace of the combat with that game and all the ones that followed (DS3, Sekiro).

I've never been massive into From Software games because of the difficulty but always dug the premises.

Elden Ring might be the first From Software game I try and actually finish rather than throwing the towel in.

One of our writers is playing through the network test this weekend so I'm keen to hear what he says.

Looks incredible. It'll be interesting how Fromsoft handle the 'open world' aspect. A large part of dark souls is the great interconnected map design/enemy placement.

I got through most of Sekiro fairly easily. The first fight with Genichiro held me up for a bit, and the last boss of the game held me up but that's to be expected. That wasn't really my point though. What I'm saying is Sekiro doesn't give you as much freedom to build your character, and doesn't let you summon for bosses. This means if you suck at the core mechanics, you're kinda screwed.

With Dark Souls, the game gives you options to make it a much easier experience. This is why it frustrates me that people keeping asking for an easy mode. It's already built into the damn game and people just aren't interested in learning the mechanics. They want to just select the difficulty from a menu. You would have thought after 6 games being released, people would get it through their heads that From Software aren't interested in pandering to lazy players. They design their games expecting the player to be involved and to pay some attention. It's a big part of what makes their games rewarding.

In my opinion the Soulsborne games really aren't that difficult but I realise difficulty is subjective. For me personally, I would say something like high level Tetris is ******* difficult and some of those rogue-likes like FTL. I've spent ages with that game and still haven't even finished a run on the normal difficulty setting. That's my idea of hard. The Souls games are challenging but never feel impossible to me. I know I'll always make it through them if I persevere.

I feel like a major hurdle with the difficulty of souls games is just learning to be patient. Most hack and slash type games you can mash the square button to victory with little regard against any mobs outside of boss fights. Even when you get the 'flow' of the games they are still quite difficult by design with the death penalties and scarce save points IMO.

I feel like a major hurdle with the difficulty of souls games is just learning to be patient. Most hack and slash type games you can mash the square button to victory with little regard against any mobs outside of boss fights. Even when you get the 'flow' of the games they are still quite difficult by design with the death penalties and scarce save points IMO.
Agreed. There's a strictness to the mechanics of the game. You actually get punished if your refuse to defend or acknowledge your surroundings. However once you learn to how to play these games, they aren't that bad. I'm not the most coordinated person ever and I've finished every Souls game without using magic or summoning other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Elden Ring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back