rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
big fan, got into him after he died so i guess that makes me a teeny boper.

Needle in the hay is about as perfect an acoustic song as you can get.

Sad to see such a talented individual end his own life, but it was hardly unexpected.

Yes a sad end to a promising career. Now we need more musicians like Smith. I sure appreciate and will talk great things about this artist

I've only heard XO and From a Basement on the Hill, but both are outstanding. He seemed to be a fairly intense bloke, and his music shows. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but really enjoy listening to his work.

Judging by From a Basement on the Hill, Smith is another very talented solo artist that bows out well before his time.

either or and xo are about as close to acoustic perfection as you can get. First discovered Elliot whilst watching Good Wil Hunting for the first time (he did the soundtrack) I spent more time listening to the music than watching the movie. Saw him live at the corner years ago, defiantely the music scene is poorer with the loss of this acoustic genius. Kill rock stars is one of his earlier recordings, much more raw and it has some absolute pealers on it! Good to see people with good taste, listening to good music!

It matters not when you start listening to an artist, what matters is why you begin to listen to them. I hope it was his music that drew you to him and not the fact that he is a dead rockstar and is now popular because jjj have played him to death (no pun intended).

• Banned
dogupya said:
either or and xo are about as close to acoustic perfection as you can get. First discovered Elliot whilst watching Good Wil Hunting for the first time (he did the soundtrack) I spent more time listening to the music than watching the movie. Saw him live at the corner years ago, defiantely the music scene is poorer with the loss of this acoustic genius. Kill rock stars is one of his earlier recordings, much more raw and it has some absolute pealers on it! Good to see people with good taste, listening to good music!

It matters not when you start listening to an artist, what matters is why you begin to listen to them. I hope it was his music that drew you to him and not the fact that he is a dead rockstar and is now popular because jjj have played him to death (no pun intended).

don't listen to triple J, actually got into him for a comination of Good Will Hunting and the Royal Tenenbaums.

My guitar teacher loves him and is in awe of him just like I am in awe of my guitar teacher (for more reasons than one ;) )

I have been encouraged to listen to some of his stuff and I can honestly say the man was (and still is) a genius. Just like my guitar teacher he takes me to a very happy place.

Yeah, count me in the 'got into Elliott post-humously' clique. Love this guy's work. Wish I could've seen him live.

Elliott's songs are so full of emotion that it becomes frightening. I think "Needle in they hay" is a good example of that. It's pretty clear that he was a heroin user -even though he didn't really admit to it- and I can't imagine how he could possibly bring himself to play such a song live without breaking down.

In my eyes he's the modern John Lennon. His lyrics are just so outstanding, often filled with double or hidden meanings and his live covers are great (I picked up a cover of Oasis' "supersonic" yesterday).

I'm so pleased people here have acknowledged him.

Like a few others here I got into Elliott after seeing Good Will Hunting. His songs on the soundtrack just blew me away so I got the CD, then XO and Figure 8 when it came out. Haven't got his other solo albums or any of the Heatmiser stuff yet, but will in time. Just too many records I want to buy every pay day :(

An outstanding songwriter, and a very very good guitar player as well. RIP.

On a slightly similar vein, check out Josh Rouse, Mason Jennings or very early/very recent Ryan Adams if you liked Elliott Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a casual admirer ever since I saw the clip for Son Of Sam IIRC. But just recently I've discovered his favorite band was The Beatles and he did a number of brilliant covers.

Just out of curiosity what would be his most beatle-esque album?

most beatle-esque album...probably out of XO or Figure 8.

but i'd say his best stuff is his early work: Self Titled, Either/Or and Roman Candle.

its all good.

yes figure 8 is a good place to start

did double/multi track vocals as good as anyone. i think thats what set him apart from your average singer/songwriter. im not into his lowfi early albums as much as some. When he embraced the bigger and more lush arrangements thats where he got better and better.

went at his peak i guess

disagree, self titled is acoustic heaven. its all good stuff really, it just depends what sort of sound you like more.

the basement demos are just about better than the stuff released on the album. 'true love' is probably my fav song from the 00s.

anyone got 'dancing on the highway' from figure 8 recordings? so simple, so great. what a tune.

i could go on and on.

i found a massive uploaded file of about 200 songs of his, unreleased, alternate versions, rough versions, fixed versions etc. a must for any fan. give me a pm if you want the link.

I only recently started listening to him after I found him on a friend's iPod and now I'm just hooked. Him and Alexi Murdoch they both amaze me at how gifted they are...were.

listen to his version of the kinks classic ' waterloo sunset'. only then can you truly appreciate his greatness

download it bro's (don't think this has been released anywhere so it should be fine for me to post it, right?)

Only track of his I have. I really should get Either/Or and XO seeing how pretty much everyone love them

download it bro's (don't think this has been released anywhere so it should be fine for me to post it, right?)

Only track of his I have. I really should get Either/Or and XO seeing how pretty much everyone love them

Yes, yes you should. Now.

I've been meaning to check out Smith for ages, only heard great stuff about his music. Going to get an album now while I remember. What do you recommend for a first up album?

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliot Smith Appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back