Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Got caught with the ball too often in year one, but I will forgive any first year player for that as he adjusts to the different tempo. Looks to have a good head on his shoulders. has no trouble finding the ball and looks to have a good tank already.
Looking forward to seeing him elevate his game this year.

Love this kid, the amount of tackles he was able to make stick when most first year players would have been brushed aside was the biggest positive for me. Thought his kicking was ordinary at times but Im very confident that will improve this year, seems to be a very level headed young kid wit a good work ethic, quickly becoming one of my favs.

I disagree but will be happy to be proven wrong ;)

I see Ellis with a higher ceiling but also rate Conca more than most
Not to sure if Ellis,s ceiling can get higher with his body shape already at its limit IMO.At the end of the day both have Pro,s and Con,s and both are Tigers.:)

I like Ellis, but i don't think he will really become "A-Grade elite". Its only his first year, and i don't think he did a lot wrong, but he didn't really catch my eye in every game he played. Like OP said, i think he will become one of those good, solid, half backs who plays 150-200 games while never being a real star, and you know what? Thats great!

Conca is judged harsh by many i think, he's a true inside mid to me and its pretty hard to play in the guts in the best of times especially in your first 2 years with limited pre season. Most players go through an initiation where they play more outside. I believe he's being groomed to take over from Tuck's role and he is definitely a better kick and decision maker than Tuck.

Will be a fantastic player, for many years to come. Has all the tools to become a very serviceable player, along the lines of Conca, where they won't be out and out guns like Cotchin or Martin, but more of a Chris Newman, who plays their role each and every week.

You won't get club champions with every first round draft pick, however, after our drafting history, any first round draft pick that plays 200 games, is a success, no matter what.

A couple of reasons why Ellis could become Elite, generally solid skills that should only get better, The big ones for me though are his very good attitude/determination and his Tank which should only get better. Will get him to more contests and rack up involvement in the game. After the comment that Lids made in the Age article about cotch you can imagine others will want to strive equally as hard to perfect their game. we'll see this start to happen over the next 2 seasons and beyond.

Ellis and Conca have both got a high ceiling for improvement and I believe both will become very good players of the competition. Conca will be a wrecking ball in the middle and also has the skills to create plays a true centreman. Ellis will be a star and his run and carry from half back and on the wing will be awesome and also has that ceiling to become more inside aswell. Two great pickups let the good times roll.

A couple of reasons why Ellis could become Elite, generally solid skills that should only get better, The big ones for me though are his very good attitude/determination and his Tank which should only get better. Will get him to more contests and rack up involvement in the game. After the comment that Lids made in the Age article about cotch you can imagine others will want to strive equally as hard to perfect their game. we'll see this start to happen over the next 2 seasons and beyond.

Right on the money I reckon TJ. I've heard some people say Ellis could become a Swan or Gaff which I actually don't think is that ridiculous. Yes he may not get to that same high level but he already has an impressive tank given his strong performances in the pre season time trials (came second in his first pre season IIRC). He's got the big build already but I think his biggest strength is his determination and willingness to make his Dad proud and live with no regrets. Coupling that will to push himself to the next contest with his probably (if not already) elite endurance and we will have a guy with decent skills who can be a great addition when we are moving the ball around the ground and who will clock up the km's running to provide an option for his team mates. He may not have the flashy silky skills like Lids or the moments of pure inspiration like Cotchin nor the explosive x factor of Martin but I reckon he can be a harder version of Grigg - someone who can accumulate the ball, be great on the spread but not be seen as a superstar as there are brighter lights in the team.

Not sure why some people don't rate Conca - everything I've seen of him hasn't made me question his drafting. Admittedly I was a bit unsure after the draft as I thought we might have taken him earlier than he should have gone but if anything, his performances have justified why we took him at 6 and shown how good a pick up he was and how good a player he will be. I'm not sure if he will ever be a prolific ball winner but when he has time and space he normally makes the right call and is a composed user of the ball. He also could be a long term replacement for Tuck with his fanatical attempts to win the ball - once he gets a bit more size and some full preseasons under his belt, we should start seeing his best. Skill wise, I would have him ahead of Ellis but Ellis easily the better runner - Conca also needs to work on his goal kicking as he seems to miss a few whereas Ellis seems to have a bit more composure going for goal.

Both players though I think will be massive parts of our future chances for success. If they both come on, it can potentially separate a 'strong' midfield from an 'elite' one. I think both of these young guys will be great servants of the yellow and black and I think we will see improved years for both in 2013

Disagree.

I think you are underestimating the fact that he has never completed a full pre season. He hasn't been able to going into the midfield rotation where he belongs as much because he hasn't built the tank. There wasn't a whole lot behind him you could say has outperformed:

7. Caddy - All hype but has delivered nothing really. I actually wanted him over Conca at the time but Conca has easily outperformed him at AFL level.

8. Heppell - Think that Heppell gets alot of cheap ball and while a good player they are a dime a dozen. Wouldn't mind him but hardly thinking his dominating so much that Conca is a poor choice.

9. Prestia - Has been good but no better or worse than Conca imo.

10. Gorringe - time will tell

11. Tom Lynch - Good player and i think will be a very good player but we got our tall with Elton.

12. Lucas Cook - no good

13 Seb Tabe - Not doing much yet.

14. Brodie Smith - Conca outperforming

The only others above this that are performing well are Atley, Darling and Smith. I actually at the time wanted Harper at 6 as well turns out we could have got him with our priority pick. But the point being outside of Darling he is keep pace with the rest of his draft class.

Cheers Amcre- you saved me some work. I love the faint praise of 'not a stuff-up in the league as JON or tambling'- when you look at the players available Conca is a fine pick. I'm biased but I'd take him over all of those players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nope rate him higher than Conca Pick 15>6
Sorry dude don't agree.
Conca is worthy of a 6 and I consider that to be a steal. In and under, was thrust in the pack almost from the get go - and has shown grunt,skill, team work and leadership
Conca aint soft, he is skilled and has endurance.

Ellis has shown good things in his first season,but lacks poise at this stage but I will wait for 2013 to unfold before getting a grip on where he is at.
2 nd year blues hit often, I hope Ellis is given time to develop and learn to cope with the pressure

Has already gone past Conca , wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being every bit as valuable as Dustin and as highly regarded . Doesn't have the flair but certainly at this stage is a lot more consistant .

Not for me he hasnt. Ellis is a utility but i dont see he has the hunger to get the pill at the bottom of the pack that conca has. The beauty is we have both.

Agree. Paid overs for Conca IMO.

(Not that it was JON or even Tambling level **** up though.)
I see a bit of Ben Cunnington in Conca. Once Cunnington started to gain weight he's began to show why he was so highly rated as a junior. I don't think we'll know what Conca is for another two years. So far he's tracking well behind Heppell and recently Atley.

Ridiculous.
Why ???
You think Ellis isn't more consistant than Martin
Or
You think Conca to date has outperformed Ellis ( if so show me the evidence , every non RFC supporter , and smart junior analyst suggests Ellis is the better player , I'd suggest they are less likely to be biased ) that by no means is shit canning Conca .
Or
Is it just that you are just wanting to disagree with my view ?

I see a bit of Ben Cunnington in Conca. Once Cunnington started to gain weight he's began to show why he was so highly rated as a junior. I don't think we'll know what Conca is for another two years. So far he's tracking well behind Heppell and recently Atley.

Or until he manages to get a full pre-season into his body. :( Whichever comes first. Love his work so far. :thumbsu:

As for Ellis, he's an absolute gem.

Not for me he hasnt. Ellis is a utility but i dont see he has the hunger to get the pill at the bottom of the pack that conca has. The beauty is we have both.
I have seen no evidence what so ever that Reece Conca has a unique ability to extract from the bottom of the pack and that includes Pre RFC days .
His asset has always been to pick the ball up in space at a high pace .

Why ???
You think Ellis isn't more consistant than Martin
Ellis had 3 games out of 21 with 20 or more disposals. Martin had 3 games out of 20 with less than 20. Martin has averaged 20+ touches and a goal a game since he was 18. Ellis averages 15 touches and 0.1 goals. Only an idiot or a determined contrarian would say Ellis is more consistent. Which are you? (Hint: maybe you're both.)

Or
You think Conca to date has outperformed Ellis ( if so show me the evidence , every non RFC supporter , and smart junior analyst suggests Ellis is the better player , I'd suggest they are less likely to be biased ) that by no means is shit canning Conca .
Ellis averaged 15.7 disposals in his first year, Conca 15.6 in his. Ellis was superfit, Conca didn't do a pre-season. Conca is an inside creator, Ellis an outside finisher. The rest of your statement is rubbish.

Or
Is it just that you are just wanting to disagree with my view ?

It's not that I want to, it's just that you consistently post drivel dressed as insight or inside knowledge. Post something intelligent and I'll be happy to agree with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back