Enhanced Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of people have talked about it, now we actually get to see it.
It might just be the last bastion of a truly level playing field. What are the chances that in time this becomes a major international sporting event?

Plenty of people have talked about it, now we actually get to see it.
It might just be the last bastion of a truly level playing field. What are the chances that in time this becomes a major international sporting event?

Presumably there's some sort of waiver that the athletes sign, so if the roids mess them up the org is not liable. I'm not sure how those waivers stand up in court though so would be interesting.

Note we have seen a comp where roids were basically encouraged, the Pride FC MMA org in Japan, disbanded in late 2000s after being acquired by the UFC. This is an excerpt from the standard Pride contract

prideroidcontract.jpg

Kevin Randleman below was one of the stars, I reckon he may have been juicing just quietly, he's also currently not alive unfortunately.

pride-total-elimination-2004-randleman-v-cro-cop.jpg

For the large number of athletes dying at a very young age, and/or having lifelong health issues by indulging in massive quantities of PED's, including highly experimental PED's.

Ditto same athletes having limbs or joints replaced with cybernetic implants. Buyers remorse later in life, potentially rejection issues with the artificial implants.

Upset athletes, or family of athletes will be looking to sue someone.

Need to preface with this even with enhancements, these athletes work hard, and are great athletes, so I'm not critiquing them as athletes.

However this just feels dirty and gross to me, and I wouldn't want to go near it or watch it. It's a view that the people interested probably don't care about, but I have no respect for this as a sporting concept.

To basically promote/encourage athletes to juice themselves up with whatever new cocktail of chemicals might give them an edge, is just wrong IMO.

I absolutely want to see it and am a massive advocate for a juiced mma division. Whilst it still has its dangers if you abuse it, it's nowhere near as unsafe for you as it was 30 years ago*. If a consenting adult wants to load themselves up who am I or anyone else to stop them? Let me watch humans in the best physical form possible.

*I say this with absolutely zero knowledge of its accuracy.

I absolutely want to see it and am a massive advocate for a juiced mma division. Whilst it still has its dangers if you abuse it, it's nowhere near as unsafe for you as it was 30 years ago*. If a consenting adult wants to load themselves up who am I or anyone else to stop them? Let me watch humans in the best physical form possible.

*I say this with absolutely zero knowledge of its accuracy.

I would like to see a stage where fighters can juice to recover from injuries, we already sort of see this when they step out of the testing pool for some time I guess. I also wouldn't mind seeing fighters use what they need to to recover, not to get ridiculously jacked like TRT Belfort etc.

How you police the above and make it fair I have no idea of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the problem for the games is that they have to find lots of Magnussens for this to be credible. Nobody is going to want to watch a bunch of juiced athletes just beating "clean" world record times so they'll need to find people capable of really pushing it and I'm not sure how easy that will be.

i had this idea back in the mid 80s, was telling everyone about it. and then when ben johnson got caught in 1988 i even rang the radio station with my idea and they said it was crazy.
it was 720 ABC sports show, i was early teens and they said i was to young to understand

I wonder if they're allowed to have illegal drugs too? Bit of experimentation done by our cricket team in this area back in the day, basically the green stuff can hinder your performance and a powder is a definite enhancer.

Our keeper tested this theory once, I recall an incoming throw flicked off the edge of the concrete (we played on synthetic) and flew in the air. Now the keeper didn't intercept the ball but I reckon he jumped 10 foot in the air, that's what it seemed like anyway, we were all pissing ourselves!

i had this idea back in the mid 80s, was telling everyone about it. and then when ben johnson got caught in 1988 i even rang the radio station with my idea and they said it was crazy.
it was 720 ABC sports show, i was early teens and they said i was to young to understand

Pretty sure like 7 of the 8 finalists in the 100m that Johnson won got busted at some stage in their careers. I don't see how the enhanced games will be any different to the regular olympics :straining:

I sense Magnussen's interest is a big clue as to where this is going. $1.5 million is nothing to sneeze at for most of us, or for the likes of Magnussen, five years into retirement and probably 10 years past his prime. So they'll get has-beens and the also-rans.

No-one knows how this will be viewed in the decades to come, it may be a permanent black mark against a career. If I'm already a medal fancy for Paris 2024, it's just not worth it as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I'd even be willing to give up a spot on the Olympic team for a shot at that amount, even if I was a huge outsider.

I'm no expert on what this stuff does to people, but I'd be amazed if someone like Magnussen came within a bull's roar of his PB, or someone who's like the 15th best 100 metre sprinter in the world gets anywhere near the world record. I think it will be a huge fizzer, people will immediately lose interest and that will be that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Enhanced Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back