Essendon don't poach players.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is aimed at the dons fans who have been visiting the Richmond board this week boasting that Sheedy has never poached a player with big money and in turn causes angst among the other players.

I am refering to you bozza, napier street and others

two words:

Ben Doolan.

What were the circumstances around Ben Doolans move? If we offered a sh|t load of money for him to leave sydney then no wonder we always have salary cap problems.

All I know is we took him in the 1993 Pre-season draft, so I can only suggest we took a delisted player. (Pick 20)

Interestingly, we also drafted in that draft: Tim Watson (pick 12), Lachaln Ross (pick 28), Brad Fox (pick 42), Brendan Duncan (pick 56) and Darren Bartsch (pick 66).

Other players picked before Doolan were:

1. Richard Osborne (Sydney)
2. Brendan McCormack (Brisbane)
3. Paul Bryce (Sydney)
4. Adrian Fletcher (Brisbane)
5. John Hutton (Sydney)
6. Martin Heffernan (Brisbane)
7. Stewart Steele (Richmond)
8. Greg Eppelstun (North Melbourne)
9. Glenn Freeborn (Melbourne)
10. Mark Zanotti (Fitzroy)
11. Darryl Wakelin (Adelaide)
13. Andrew Leoncelli (Carlton)
14. Robert Walker (Hawthorn)
15. Barry Mitchell (Collingwood)
16. Mark Arceri (St. Kilda)
17. Anthony Darcy (Footscray)
18. Matthew McCartin (Geelong)
19. Brendan Retzlaff (West Coast).

Maybe looking at that, we certainly weren't the only ones!!! And probably more to the point, probably did quite well out of it.

I think we made a deal with Doolan. I think the players can put a price on their heads when they enter the pre-season draft. So basically we agreed to pay him (an extremely) high salary, so that other teams had to pass on him.

So technically legitimate, morally....

Originally posted by Speuge
I think we made a deal with Doolan. I think the players can put a price on their heads when they enter the pre-season draft. So basically we agreed to pay him (an extremely) high salary, so that other teams had to pass on him.

So technically legitimate, morally....

But did we offer him the contract so he would leave sydney (immoral) or did he leave first and then we offered him alot of money so no one else could get him (moral but stupid)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon don't poach players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back