Essendon draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Its certainley a touch question on who to pick.
If Zaharakais, Myers develop into the gun midfielders they could be and Reimers- Prismall play to there best our midfield would be quite strong.
It really depends on who gets the chop in my opinion. With possibilties of Neagle, Still and Gumby developing into strong fowards and Hurley, Daniher, Pears and slattery good backs its hard to say.

I like the idea of a strong, hard ball getting midfielder of the Libba, Ablett, Sewell variety

Its certainley a touch question on who to pick.
If Zaharakais, Myers develop into the gun midfielders they could be and Reimers- Prismall play to there best our midfield would be quite strong.
It really depends on who gets the chop in my opinion. With possibilties of Neagle, Still and Gumby developing into strong fowards and Hurley, Daniher, Pears and slattery good backs its hard to say.

I like the idea of a strong, hard ball getting midfielder of the Libba, Ablett, Sewell variety
Eh? 3 completely dis-similar players
Will depend on who stays/goes though.

Has anyone thought about Koby Stevens. seems like a player that the EFC could really use, a classy onballer, who uses the ball really well.

What about Jack Trengove, the SA captain, we have the KP held down, and the ruck is solid, only by injuries are we crippled, so the midfield needs to be addressed you would imagine..

You know what putting classy and Koby Stevens in the same sentace does not really fit.
Stevens is a bit more of a hard at it mid who runs well and has good enough skills. He is not really a player you watch and think classy staright away. You tend to think more along the lines of really good player with some blue collar aspects.
He certainly is not classy compared to kids like Martin from Bendigo or Cunnington from Geelong.
That is not a knock on Stevens as Scully who will go number one is not a mid i would call classy either. More of a take no prisoners hard at it with great skills and pace.

If there was one player i could take from the TAC Cup (i will comment more on the intersate boys once i have seen them play live and not just on dvd) it would be Christensen from the Geelong Falcons. Midfielder with explosive pace who has good skills on both sides and can win his own ball and is prepared to put on shepherds or blocks when needed.
Not sure we will get a shot at him. Will depend on our finishing position and how many WA boys push up into the top 10. I suspect the Christsensen will go between 3 and 10 on what i have seen of him.

...Christensen from the Geelong Falcons. Midfielder with explosive pace who has good skills on both sides and can win his own ball and is prepared to put on shepherds or blocks when needed.

He sounds like exactly like the type of midfielder we need (or I just want) with our first round pick. A pity you think he might go too early for us, hopefully there is a couple of other players with those attributes in the upcoming draft.

Here's the U18s Geelong Falcons team list. Players are in and out of squads at the moment because of the Championships in progress, but later on in the year everything should be back to normal I would assume.

I have watched a few replays from Championship matches played so far, and have seen a fair few talented players work their magic; but haven't seen any Champs matches live at the ground as of yet. Will make proper assessments once the Champs are completed.

Do you not think that Christensen's height will be problem ANT? At 175cm, he may put a few clubs off.

Whys does a quick skilled mid need to be tall ?
The only reason 175cm puts clubs off is if they do not have anything special about them. This kid has great pace, very good skills and a great work ethic on the ground. Runs all day and does the team things when needed.
175cm is no problem at all.

Ant, I'm thinking of going down to watch a game of the Falcons, as the oval's literally 2 minutes from my place. Could you give me a few numbers/players to look out for? I wouldn't even know Cunnington's number.

5 Allan CHRISTENSEN

30 Ben CUNNINGTON

You wont see these two in the Falcons side until a week or so after the champs finish in the first week of july.

Hey Ant, What have you seen of Jesse Crichton?
I really like his pressure, but I don't know how well he kicks, looking like my mancrush for this draft at the moment.

Well if this:

http://forum.sportal.com.au/yaf_postst26237_Remember-these-names.aspx
He possesses pin-point accuracy with his disposals and is a smooth-gatherer.

and this:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14665479&postcount=15
What really stood out was his cleanness, usage of the ball under pressure and the depth of his kicking. Kicked a goal into the wind at Aurora stadium that went 60m.

are even close to the ballpark then apparently his kicking is reasonably good. He looks pretty clean with his disposals from what little a youtube highlights video can tell you. He is a stick figure though. What does he weigh, 68kg, because he looks tiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We see what Bomber supporting Mids do.

Hey Ant, What have you seen of Jesse Crichton?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VfJa8IpXY8
I really like his pressure, but I don't know how well he kicks, looking like my mancrush for this draft at the moment.

Have not been overly excited in the two games i have seen him in live this season. Thought he looked well below last years form but he was ok in the last champ game.
Im not sure how long it will take him to be ready for AFL footy as he is very skinny.

pazza said:
Jonno Nash at Sandringham Dragons. Been starring for them all season.

Has been playing well but is not in first round calculations. He is one of Sandys 19 year olds and has been passed over a couple of times now.
I would say he will get drafted but i can not see it being in the first or second round at this stage.

Enki said:
are even close to the ballpark then apparently his kicking is reasonably good. He looks pretty clean with his disposals from what little a youtube highlights video can tell you. He is a stick figure though. What does he weigh, 68kg, because he looks tiny.

The kicking depends on when you see him i guess. The day i saw him against Rangers at Box Hill he had 7 kicks and 3 where ineffective.
He is generally a good kick but he can be up and down.

He is a stick figure though. What does he weigh, 68kg, because he looks tiny.
Pfft.. That doesn't matter, it's harder to develop natural skill than it is to develop muscle ;) I will cry if we don't pick him.

Nice youtube video. Like the way he hunts the opposition and then uses good technique to bring'em down. Nice second efforts and kicking action.Like a skinny Mitch Robinson.

The kicking depends on when you see him i guess. The day i saw him against Rangers at Box Hill he had 7 kicks and 3 where ineffective. He is generally a good kick but he can be up and down.

True, and I was waiting to see if you had seen him and what you thought. 7 kicks and 3 where ineffective is pretty ordinary, but if it was just a matter of refining his kicking he may be a good deal for some club as his kicking action seems OK. But that would be up to the clubs experts to decide, maybe he will be just a hit and miss kicker.

Pfft.. That doesn't matter, it's harder to develop natural skill than it is to develop muscle ;) I will cry if we don't pick him.

Well, I wasn't suggesting that I wouldn't pick a player just becasue of size (although projected final size after being in the system a few years should always be a consideration of midfielders weighed against skill and other factors). I was just pointing out he is... very small, he's very small, he's a tiny thing.

Nice youtube video. Like the way he hunts the opposition and then uses good technique to bring'em down.

Yeah mate, that's the thing I like about him too. When he doesn't have the ball he seems to chase pretty hard to smash the opposing player who does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back