Essendon's game style

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely different IMO, every premiership clubs game style becomes the new vogue for clubs, but its rare for clubs to implement it successfully.

Geelong are so good because they've got a great mix of speed, braun and skill. They've got the inside recievers that win the ball out of the centre, the skillful outside players that pinpoint the forwards and the speed off half back that sets up attack from defence.

Essendon don't have the big bodies - which is why they were smashed when they played the Cats, but they do have speed and young players. Bare in mind, Geelong's arsen of players were built up over a 7-8 year period.
Not different at all, just different stages of development. You can't easily recruit hard bodied players to your club via the draft, and it will always take time for them to develop. Essendon are building towards a team similar in make-up to the current Geelong side, adopting the same/very similar gameplan because it suits the list the best.

Also, since when is 'young players' a game style.

Absoloutly wrapped with the way they played tonight.

A lesser team (cough cough choke Carlton) would have just laid down but we just kept trying and trying.

We are on the right track.

Contests and defence first, the rest comes. Knights has gone the other way and while it's great to watch, no-one wins a flag playing footy like that. They run so far forward of the footy and handball so much, but if it turns over, they are toast.

Contests and defence first, the rest comes. Knights has gone the other way and while it's great to watch, no-one wins a flag playing footy like that. They run so far forward of the footy and handball so much, but if it turns over, they are toast.
Knight's is trying to develop the list to play a daring style of footy. Our guys took the bulldogs on tonight, our defensive game improved out of sight after the first quarter. Injuries hurt us late in the game, but take nothing away from the doggies, they were just too good... hitting back at us hard when we seemed to be on top.

Agreed to a certain extent. I think a team should be built on defence and contested ball, but the way football is headed, there is definitely a need for quick ball movement. It's a bit of a balancing act, but it's achievable.

The 2 injuries were caused by the game style, which is why the game plan is unsustainable in the long term IMO.

I dont know about that and neither do you. I mean it seems a logical point but St Kilda had hammy problems a while ago as bad as we have at the moment and they werent playing this game style. There is no method to it it is just shit luck.

Disagree. Shows how much I care.

Anyway, this isn't a dig at the Dons, the gameplan is obviously a successful one (IF you can play defence too, which the Dons are struggling with at the moment). I'm just sick of hearing the media and supporters wank on about 'run and carry' which is a wank in itself.

Blown your load yet?

Agreed to a certain extent. I think a team should be built on defence and contested ball, but the way football is headed, there is definitely a need for quick ball movement. It's a bit of a balancing act, but it's achievable.

The game might get even quicker, but one thing won't change. If you don't get it first and often, the rest means ____ all. Essendon carved us in round 1 not because they were quicker or any of that hyped media shit, but because they smashed us around the ball. Last week, Footscray beat St Kilda easily because they wanted the footy more.

And Essendon are leaking points with two +30 year old in their back 50. Ryder is an absolute freak (you offer me him or Franklin, and I'd have to think about it), but when Fletcher goes and Michael's body gives way (not long now), I hope they have blokes to step in otherwise all the quick movement will mean little when they concede 130 every week.

Knights: "My game plan is to just copy Geelong."
Essendon Board: "Congratulations, the job is yours."

To be fair geelong copied it from the dogs first - they just execute it better.

I feel that essendon needs to pace themselves more, especially playing a lot of games at the dome. Not just for hamstrings in the last quarter, but they could drop away severely in the second half if they run themselves down.

To be fair geelong copied it from the dogs first - they just execute it better.

I feel that essendon needs to pace themselves more, especially playing a lot of games at the dome. Not just for hamstrings in the last quarter, but they could drop away severely in the second half if they run themselves down.

I thought the Dogs based their gameplan more on leg speed. Whereas Geelong is more about moving the ball quickly.

usually as a neutral supporter i'll go for the team i tip, which tonight was the dogs

having said that, i found myself going for the dons because they played some fantastic footy to watch, especially in that ____ing third quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights: "My game plan is to just copy Geelong."
Essendon Board: "Congratulations, the job is yours."

Geez hard to believe a football brain like yours is wasting his time on BF.

Id say the game plans are pretty different. Geelong tend to clear the ball through the flanks and wings and then go central through half forward where the Bombers have 4-5 quick handballs in defence to break up the play and create run straight through the middle. I havent seen Geelong do this at all.

Ryder is an absolute freak (you offer me him or Franklin, and I'd have to think about it),

I'd still take Buddy but from that his draft Paddy, Pendles and Thomas are starting to become clear standouts now.

And to think Carlton chose Josh Kennedy before him. :eek:

I'd still take Buddy but from that his draft Paddy, Pendles and Thomas are starting to become clear standouts now.

Honestly, Ryder over Franklin is close. He is a more rounded footballer. Can play everywhere (ruck, CHF, CHB), super quick, better overhead, better field kick and looks like a good kid. Franklin is obviously amazing in his role, but if I had Ryder I could play him on Buddy and not feel so petrified playing Hawthorn.

And as much as I rate Thomas (Pendlebury sits below him IMO), Ryder has him easily.

____ing gun.

Id say the game plans are pretty different. Geelong tend to clear the ball through the flanks and wings and then go central through half forward where the Bombers have 4-5 quick handballs in defence to break up the play and create run straight through the middle. I havent seen Geelong do this at all.
Haha! Hilarious call. You are a goose. Didn't watch us spank you the other week? Or watch us play football AT ALL last year?

Honestly, Ryder over Franklin is close. He is a more rounded footballer. Can play everywhere (ruck, CHF, CHB), super quick, better overhead, better field kick and looks like a good kid. Franklin is obviously amazing in his role, but if I had Ryder I could play him on Buddy and not feel so petrified playing Hawthorn.

And as much as I rate Thomas (Pendlebury sits below him IMO), Ryder has him easily.

____ing gun.

he's a rare talent. I think he'll be one of the best players in the game

Erm, Geelong have utilised the central corridor for quite a while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's game style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back