Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Going there for a gig mostly, I'm thinking of either staying there after for a few days or heading down to London for a bit before heading to the mainland.

Been to London before though
How about Liverpool? Great city.

Yeah was thinking about taking a day trip out there, you recon it's worth it?

Any recommendations?
If you're a Beatles fan there's a shitload to do and see. If you're an EPL fan a tour of the stadium.Even a game if the timing is right. Otherwise the docks are interesting.

If you're a Beatles fan there's a shitload to do and see. If you're an EPL fan a tour of the stadium.Even a game if the timing is right. Otherwise the docks are interesting.

this looks pretty amazing too:

Liverpool is a great city but it's definitely only really appealing if you're younger - I'd say the same for Sheffield and Glasgow. even Nottingham though that's a level below.

If you're in your 20s and want to just walk around, find a few cool shops, duck into the odd museum or something on a map and then drink all night then it's great. if you're into history or want to see 'things' then it's definitely just a daytrip place. tbh if you want history, scenic walks, cosy traditional pubs, and decent food then you're better off sticking to the parks and Dales in the North. Newcastle would probably appeal to because it's just a cool place to walk around in but there's a useful Metro system that takes you to a heap of nice little seaside and nearby towns, too.

The women in Liverpool are incredibly kind and open but the blokes are pretty brash and can come across as intimidating for what we're used to in Australia.

Literally only two things to do there

Liverpool is a great city but it's definitely only really appealing if you're younger - I'd say the same for Sheffield and Glasgow. even Nottingham though that's a level below.

If you're in your 20s and want to just walk around, find a few cool shops, duck into the odd museum or something on a map and then drink all night then it's great. if you're into history or want to see 'things' then it's definitely just a daytrip place. tbh if you want history, scenic walks, cosy traditional pubs, and decent food then you're better off sticking to the parks and Dales in the North. Newcastle would probably appeal to because it's just a cool place to walk around in but there's a useful Metro system that takes you to a heap of nice little seaside and nearby towns, too.

The women in Liverpool are incredibly kind and open but the blokes are pretty brash and can come across as intimidating for what we're used to in Australia.
I was in Liverpool for 3 days and except for going to a Liverpool game there was nothing to do but drink (and start early)

Its a shithole, maybe ok if you love the Beetles but that is it. even on the Mersey there is a statue of a bloke who I thought was Elvis

1724117488080.png

Will say though tbf the people were all super friendly and inviting. Maybe because I was with my mrs there was no issues with guys being stand offish

Went to Albania last week. Absolutely loved it. Recommend going before it’s thrashed by insta and TikTok. Although, it might already be.

Food was insanely good and by far the cheapest European country I’ve visited.

Went to Albania last week. Absolutely loved it. Recommend going before it’s thrashed by insta and TikTok. Although, it might already be.

Food was insanely good and by far the cheapest European country I’ve visited.
Russians are the big money spenders there at the moment because they cant move further west for the summer vacations. Ive seen it from the water, but never been.

Not sure why people are shitting on Leeds and Liverpool so much. this forum is full of people who go to like Atlanta and Dallas and shit. and museums get tedious, great sites/sights are something you get numb to.

Maybe I'm an Anglophile and have a heavy connection to the North, but it's nice just walking around and feeling the vibrancy of places like that. it's not a hustle and bustle but they're important cities that have contributed massively to culture, industry, and human history.

If you're into drinking and clothes you'll have a great time, most of those cities have some pretty good boutiques and vintage shops (actual, properly curated vintage stuff). throw in winter and an interest in the fitba and you'll ****in love it. they're just fun places and the people are always happy to have a chat and hear your story.

Russians are the big money spenders there at the moment because they cant move further west for the summer vacations. Ive seen it from the water, but never been.
Russians are shitbags. they were terrible ten years ago and I've only been back to Europe once since covid, but can't imagine how bad they are now.

Throw in the Chinese, the popularisation of European travel for American frat bros and basic chicks, pissed young Aussies who had three years of no travel and are making up for it...

Not to mention how ****ed housing has become for regular old Europeans. years ago you felt bad drinking out and being served by young people with engineering and medical degrees who'd be waiting tables forever; now you'd feel bad because they've got nowhere to live.

You'd have to be thick as **** to go on some big jaunt these days, doing your London-Amsterdam-Barcelona-Rome route. overpopulated and unfair to the locals.

Not to mention the monoculture. everywhere feels the same now.

Russians are shitbags. they were terrible ten years ago and I've only been back to Europe once since covid, but can't imagine how bad they are now.

Throw in the Chinese, the popularisation of European travel for American frat bros and basic chicks, pissed young Aussies who had three years of no travel and are making up for it...

Not to mention how ****ed housing has become for regular old Europeans. years ago you felt bad drinking out and being served by young people with engineering and medical degrees who'd be waiting tables forever; now you'd feel bad because they've got nowhere to live.

You'd have to be thick as **** to go on some big jaunt these days, doing your London-Amsterdam-Barcelona-Rome route. overpopulated and unfair to the locals.

Not to mention the monoculture. everywhere feels the same now.
Christ, you sound fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah pretty glad i only did a day trip to Liverpool tbh, i enjoyed Manchester way more.

**** me how sick is Dublin though, incredible city
I've heard it's ****in dull as dishwater, expensive, rammed with tourists, and tiny. 'locals' are tech geeks working for the massive companies there who don't pay any tax. plus it's full of Irish.

How far can I realistically stretch 14-20 days holiday in Europe.

UK - London stuff, Stone Henge, Sheffield (Snooker world champs possibly quarter finals), OR cricket depending on time of the year, or F1 wherever it's on at the time.
Ireland - Dublin (all the distillery stuff)

Europe??? What could I realistically do. I want to minimalise photography so I can absorb more of the atmosphere and not just tick off boxes of where I've been.
I want to see the nice sites and landmarks, but also sit back and chill in nice places such as Mykonos.

For example if I did a mediterranean tour could I realistically hit Portugal, Spain, Greece, France and Italy?

Could I hit Germany, Poland, Austria, Switzerland

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland

I've heard it's ****in dull as dishwater, expensive, rammed with tourists, and tiny. 'locals' are tech geeks working for the massive companies there who don't pay any tax. plus it's full of Irish.
So I made it up to Belfast and jesus i was blown away. I was expecting it to be a shithole but the food and hospitality here >>>> Dublin.

Dublin is cool for a couple of nights, way more touristy Irish bars and such, but i dunno Belfast just feels more real.

UK - London stuff, Stone Henge, Sheffield (Snooker world champs possibly quarter finals), OR cricket depending on time of the year, or F1 wherever it's on at the time.
Ireland - Dublin (all the distillery stuff)

Europe??? What could I realistically do. I want to minimalise photography so I can absorb more of the atmosphere and not just tick off boxes of where I've been.
I want to see the nice sites and landmarks, but also sit back and chill in nice places such as Mykonos.

For example if I did a mediterranean tour could I realistically hit Portugal, Spain, Greece, France and Italy?

Depends what vibe you're going for.

If you want beaches, sun, slower pace ect then head round the Mediterranean.

If you want arts, culture, city vibes ect then go to Copenhagen, Hamburg, Berlin, Amsterdam ect

Why Leeds? I've been there a couple of times as my dad was born there. It's not a bad city but there are a lot better jn the UK.
I'm glad I've come to Leeds in the end, really enjoying the vibe of the place (much more than Liverpool)

You could do 1 of these 3, definitely not all 3 and even 2 would be rushed.

Your Med country tour (plus Grèce and Portugal would be a very full 3 weeks by itself.

If you do something like that you could use ferries too.. especially from Italy to Greece or Greek Islands and could spin a bit of Croatia in and a drive through Slovenia back to Venice.

It’s a beautiful drive from Split.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back