European Cup Results

Remove this Banner Ad

I_LUV_AFL

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2002
Central Coast, NSW
Other Teams
Penrith RLFC, Mariners FC
Ireland 24 def Scotland 22 (last minute try to Ireland)
Wales 74 def Russia 4 (highly dissapointing effort by the Ruski's, they have the squad to compete with anyone but were disgraced on the night)

Editorial: Euro Nations Cup is already a success
Mon Oct 27, 12:48am (UK)
Written by: Steven Birchall
Well the inaugural European Nations Cup kick off would have to be deemed a success, despite limited promotion and the event being treated as a rather ‘low key’ affair the matches have been well received by the crowds that did turn up and by the players.

This tournament isn’t meant to be Rugby League’s answer to compete against the likes of Rugby Union’s 6 Nations or Soccer’s Euro tournaments, it is meant to lay the foundation so say by the next time a Rugby League World Cup comes around (with either 2007 or 2008 looking likely) there can be an Irish team which isn’t just brought together other night, a Welsh team which has played together before and a Scottish team which has a nice mix of locals and journeymen.

Already in the first game of the tournament, everyone is waiting for next years clash where the Scottish will be seeking revenge against the Irish Wolfhounds for stealing victory from them in the final seconds.

Russia will be looking to improve and look the two heavy weights of the tournament, France and England A both haven’t even laced up the boots yet in this tournament.

Some people have already asked the RFL why hasn’t the tournament been heavily promoted and been played at huge venues and so on, the answer to that is, the RFL are taking the steps to ensure that in 5 or 10 years time, this tournament is still around. League has seen enough flash in the pan concepts and I’m sure most fans are sick of it.

This tournament will develop the players, develop the grass root following, and it is even developing new international referees such as Glen Black (New Zealand) who officiated Wales V Russia. By giving officials from the nations outside of Australia and Great Britain a chance to referee, perhaps we can one day see again when the Ashes is controlled by a neutral referee.

There are a number of huge benefits this tournament is will bring, and they are far more important than just crowds in the short term.

Originally posted by Tutaki
Ireland 24 def Scotland 22 (last minute try to Ireland)
Wales 74 def Russia 4 (highly dissapointing effort by the Ruski's, they have the squad to compete with anyone but were disgraced on the night)

Editorial: Euro Nations Cup is already a success
Mon Oct 27, 12:48am (UK)
Written by: Steven Birchall
Well the inaugural European Nations Cup kick off would have to be deemed a success, despite limited promotion and the event being treated as a rather ‘low key’ affair the matches have been well received by the crowds that did turn up and by the players.

This tournament isn’t meant to be Rugby League’s answer to compete against the likes of Rugby Union’s 6 Nations or Soccer’s Euro tournaments, it is meant to lay the foundation so say by the next time a Rugby League World Cup comes around (with either 2007 or 2008 looking likely) there can be an Irish team which isn’t just brought together other night, a Welsh team which has played together before and a Scottish team which has a nice mix of locals and journeymen.

Already in the first game of the tournament, everyone is waiting for next years clash where the Scottish will be seeking revenge against the Irish Wolfhounds for stealing victory from them in the final seconds.

Russia will be looking to improve and look the two heavy weights of the tournament, France and England A both haven’t even laced up the boots yet in this tournament.

Some people have already asked the RFL why hasn’t the tournament been heavily promoted and been played at huge venues and so on, the answer to that is, the RFL are taking the steps to ensure that in 5 or 10 years time, this tournament is still around. League has seen enough flash in the pan concepts and I’m sure most fans are sick of it.

This tournament will develop the players, develop the grass root following, and it is even developing new international referees such as Glen Black (New Zealand) who officiated Wales V Russia. By giving officials from the nations outside of Australia and Great Britain a chance to referee, perhaps we can one day see again when the Ashes is controlled by a neutral referee.

There are a number of huge benefits this tournament is will bring, and they are far more important than just crowds in the short term.
[/QUOTE

Tutaki - I don't know where you get your info for threads like this one, and you don't get many replies, but keep them coming as I find them very interesting. Thank you.

I only just heard of this new comp. Sounds like a great idea. I'd also like to see a tri-nations series between Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Or France instead of whoever.

A PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Tri-Nations series.

These teams need more exposure. More international games to strengthen them. And WAY more help from the RL bosses here in OZ.

Mmmm. While we're at it. A super 8 comp. Played every 4 years.

Australia
NZ
GB
Wales
Ireland
Scotland
France
South Pacific (combined PNG,samoa,etc)

Originally posted by nicko18

Do the Netherlands play RL? i can't find anything. maybe richo or tutaki could help me out or direct me to a link?

Found this match report.

http://uk.rleague.com/scotland/news/index.php?id=12739

Scotland defeat Dutch
Thu Jul 10, 4:20pm (Netherlands)
Written by: Gavin Willacy
Scotland 'A' fought off a fierce challenge from the Netherlands to win 22-18 in Sassenheim last night, the first international rugby league match ever staged in Holland.

The win came courtesy of three tries from Somerset Vikings players. Winger Paul Clark - also an international bob-sleigher - got two on his debut and his club-mate, second row forward Martin Jakes, added another, with Gateshead Thunder halfback Chris Fletcher scoring the match-winning try five minutes from time. Fletcher also kicked two goals, as did Gareth Skillan, one of three injury victims for Scotland in the first hour. Skillan, who has fractured his shoulder bone, skipper Ash Carroll (hamstring) and Jon Fitt (knee) - are all unlikely to face Italy in Padova on Friday night. The Dutch XIII, which included five Holland Rugby Union internationals, provided Scotland with a stern test and led 18-16 with 12 minutes left through tries by Joe Clark (2) and Gavin Roberts (2). Luke Hanson kicked a goal.

In the curtain-raiser, Scotland Students hammered a Netherlands 'A' XIII 68-14. Three Scottish-based players scored braces: 16-year-old Peebles wonderkid Callum Anderson, Dougie Thomson of Portobello Playboys and Jordan Ingram of Edinburgh Eagles. Other tries came from Ben Wheeler (Loughborough Uni), Liam Campbell (Lowca), Barry McGuffog (Barrow), Chris Davis (Portobello), Gareth McColl (Fife Lions) and Anthony Slater (Featherstone Lions), with five goals by Barry Earl (Napier Uni) and one each from Campbell and Gordon Powrie (Glasgow Bulls).

France have just defeated Scotland 26-18 after leading 26-0 at halftime. More details to come and I will also give info on the situation on the Holland Test Match aswell as the York 9's etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by nicko18
Do the Netherlands play RL? i can't find anything. maybe richo or tutaki could help me out or direct me to a link?

Yes, they do. The organiser once posted on Rleague. the site appears to be down ATM, though.

I first heard somthing about them starting from scratch with union players and Brit/Aussie expats in Holland about a year or two ago. Their first international was against some student side or another last year or early this year I think.

I could ask around - else if you want to get in contact with people in Holland try on the expats websites like coolabah.com - that was the first place I heard about Dutch RL.

Remove this Banner Ad

European Cup Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back