Eurovision - anyone watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Wogan retired last year after getting sick of the voting bias.

I have to say that Julia and Sam(?) were pretty good this year - not as brilliantly bitchy as TW but still largely on the money.

And geez, hasn't the jury voting system changed things a bit??? 20 countries down and Norway is belting ahead.

I love Eurovision (although definitely not as good without Wogan). Lots of good legs this year. Norway by far the best song - add a cute boy singer and they win easily.

Best part is the history/geography lesson from the voting - I had no idea where Moldova was. We looked it up and it's next to Romania. Up come the Romanian votes 'Moldova- 12 points'. You learn why Cyprus will never vote for Turkey, and Bosnia-Herzogovina get lots of votes from being 'geographically central'. We were sitting there predicting the votes with great success.

And Spain would have finished stone motherless last except Andorra gave them the 12.

Wogan wasn't doing Eurovision at all this year. I believe he has retired from it. So unlike previous attempts by SBS to mess with the formula, they didn't have much choice but to do something different this year.

Julia and the Dropkick weren't too bad, definitely they were much better than the horror that was Effy back in 2001. What I missed from Wogan was the understanding of the voting. Julia and the Dropkick seemed as much in the dark as I was about why Ukraine liked the Norwegian entry, or whether Croatia would vote or Bosnia or not. Wogan would have had the answers.

Anyway, far too many countries taking it much too seriously this year. Britain being probably the worst example. At least Moldova, Romania and Ukraine got it - give us a meaningless but slightly catchy pop song, its not like we can understand the words anyway.

Anyway, far too many countries taking it much too seriously this year. Britain being probably the worst example. At least Moldova, Romania and Ukraine got it - give us a meaningless but slightly catchy pop song, its not like we can understand the words anyway.

Agreed, I liked Moldova's best. Fun, catchy and energetic. Had a folk element without being as boring as batshit (Portugal, take note).

Remove this Banner Ad

Eurovision - anyone watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back